Is it worth supporting earlier than OS 3.0?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by cramzy, Aug 24, 2009.

1. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it's still worth it to support OS versions less than 3.0 in my apps? Do you have any idea how many people still use OS less than 3.0?

Cheers,
    ILIYA

2. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    People will gripe if you don't. That doesn't necessarily mean a huge amount of sales mind you, but they will complain. If you don't need 3.0 features, why not support older OS versions?

3. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

The thing is that I do need OS 3.0 features and it would be quite difficult separating functionality based on OS version.

4. Geoffwb

Geoffwb Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    NYC
    The OS upgrade is free on the iPhone and cheap for the touch... I wouldn't go too out of your way to support legacy the OS's, particularly if you feel it's difficult to parse out the functionality...

Now supporting the legacy hardware is a different matter... certainly try to avoid having core functions of your app that only work on the 3GS unless its absolutely necessary. That's just crippling your market share. (I know that's not direclty what you asked about but it's somewhat related:))

5. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Seriously? The iPod touch software is $13! (AUD)

C'mon, I already paid like $400 (AUD) for the iPod, why should I have to fork out more money for a pissy little update, especially when iPhone users get it for free!

6. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    And then you might consider customers who have Jailbroken devices. Not all of us are willing to upgrade to 3.0, and jailbreak again.

And as Hmar9333 said, when you consider how much we pay for the iPod Touch, $13 AUD/$10 USD is a lot of money.

7. Geoffwb

Geoffwb Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    NYC
    my bad, it's "relatively" cheap... the cost of the OS updates for the touch is rough, but I'd say the added functionality has been worth it so far.

From the developers perspective though, people who don't upgrade the OS are also less likely to be buying apps. I just don't think it's worth the effort of the developer to support a likely small portion of their audience (particularly if it cripples or decreases the functionality of their app).

8. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    This is probably not your market segment here. If they are unwilling to upgrade their OS for your app/game because of $10 or the time it might take to jailbreak then it isn't worth your time to worry about them.

$10 every year for a major OS change really isn't all that much as these two make it out to be. They just feel entitled to it because iPhone users get it free (hint, data cell plan costs monthly charges).

I am jailbroken and I bit the bullet because I wanted the 3.0 features. It is worth it considering the little time I invested on jailbreaking again. I am the exact opposite of the two above though. I get mad when devs don't develop for new features and leave the version stale on older OS versions.

Just explain in your update why os 3.0 is needed (feature wise) and you should be fine. Yes there will be those that complain but it is what it is. Either move forward or get out of the way.

9. seti32

seti32 Member

I've found that it's been worth dropping support for older versions. Initially there were fewer sales, but 3.0 adoption is growing. You also have to take into account that people who upgrade to 3.0 are also more likely to buy apps.

10. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

thanks a lot for your comments. It was helpful for me to decide to leave the OS legacy and go for OS 3 and higher only. I need the built-in maps functionality, and this is the feature that I need OS 3 for.

Anyway, thanks once again! :) But if my sales are low, I will blame all of you :D:D:D Just kidding! :)

P.S. Have a look at the app I am talking about:
    http://www.cramzy.com/AMustGo/

It's still in dev though... I hope to have it released by the end of this week.

Cheers,
    ILIYA

11. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    yes!

here are some statistics from our games (high score submissions)

2009-06 (june)
    522 devices
    101 using 3.0
    (80% with lower than 3.0)

2009-07 (july)
    555 devices
    339 using 3.0
    1 using 3.1
    (38% with lower than 3.0)

2009-08 (august - in progress)
    448 devices
    223 using 3.0
    90 using 3.0.1
    1 using 3.1
    (29% with lower than 3.0)

the numbers are definitely dropping; but they are still two digits percentage wize - and, until this is really a single digit percentage; i would still support it. when it comes to which OS to support - based on our stats; it would be 2.2 at the minimum

12. smasher

smasher Active Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Depends your market. If we're talking games for the touch, there are still a lot of users on 2.x. This chart shows a small bar of iPhone users on 2.x, and a large bar of touch users still on 2.x:

http://www.sunflat.net/en/iphoneoscount/index.html

My own numbers showed about 27% of sessions on 2.x.
    Code:
    Firmware Sessions  % sess    Chart
    3.0.1    2110      13.30%    ******
    3.1      98         0.60%    
    3.0      9399      59.00%    ******************************
    2.2.1    3817      24.00%    ************
    2.2      473        3.00%    *
    2.0      25         0.20%

These numbers are tilted toward pirate jailbreakers, though. I have more leeches than paying customers. :) Also My game is only for 2.2, so this doesn't have real data on lower versions.