Steambirds: Survival - (FREE game by Halfbrick and Spry Fox)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009

In the Steambirds universe, the Allies are losing the war against the Axis powers and their incredible Armada. As an elite Allied pilot, your goal is to stand your ground against endless waves of Axis aircraft. The odds are overwhelming. You're hopelessly outnumbered. The United Kingdom is almost certainly doomed, but you *might* be able to save its citizens.... if you can hold off death long enough for them to evacuate!

Steambirds: Survival features 8 unique aircraft and 64 unique missions at launch (with another 7 aircraft and 56 missions scheduled to be released as free updates soon after launch.) Each plane in SB:S has its own strengths and weakness which will require you to change your strategy if you want to succeed. You'll also need to collect powerups dropped by enemy aircraft; grabbing and using these at the right time will be the key to your survival. Will you quickly fall beneath the first waves of the Axis' flying armada, or will you become one of the great legends of the War?

Steambirds: Survival, the sequel to the hit game Steambirds (played by over 12 million people worldwide) is brought to you by its original creator, Spry Fox, and by Halfbrick, the developer of Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride.

2. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Great, I never finished the first one, this has just prompted be to crack on with it in anticipation of this.

3. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Why free?
    whats the catch?

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Halfbrick? Count me in!

Free UPDATES, the game won't be.

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    OH MY GOD. Free halfbrick game!! :D

6. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    What! Wow yes yes yes

7. Doches

Doches Active Member

Yes, please!

Ok, yeah. This has got me seriously excited. Steambirds was an absolutely brilliant game with a slightly lackluster iOS port; Jetpack Joyride is one of the most polished games I've played on iOS, but not a terribly original piece of game design. A version of Steambirds developed by Halfbrick is a total match made in heaven!

Want!

8. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Well I think it's only being "Published" by Halfbrick.... Don't think they did any developing with it.....

Halfbrick a new Chillingo?

9. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    The video does claim that the game will be free, along with free updates.

10. Doches

Doches Active Member

Well, that's a shame. Leaves open the question of who's actually developing the thing, then -- didn't Semi Secret Software (i.e. Adam Saltsman of Canabalt fame) do the first one? Or did they do the original Flash version and have someone else do the iOS port?

11. djedery

djedery New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Original version

The original version of the game and its Flash sequel was developed by Daniel Cook (Spry Fox) and Andy Moore (Radial Games.) Adam Saltsman licensed the original version to create the iOS port. The new mobile game was co-developed by Spry Fox and Halfbrick.

Also, to answer another question: the whole game is free, not just the updates. You can spend cash to get through the game faster and/or to disable advertising, but that's it. You never need to pay a dime.

12. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
  13. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    That's weird, only the iPad version is out....

14. spryfox

spryfox Active Member

Early release

To be perfectly honest, we accidentally released the game earlier than we intended to, and we pulled it down a few hours later. Everyone who grabbed it before it was pulled down is essentially getting an unplanned sneak peak. :)