The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Congrats! It's a very good game, but it was a grindfest for sure for me as I'm not very strategical.

I hope you will enjoy Xenoblade! I just love it so much!

2. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011

So as I'm starting to try to fill up affinity boards and I notice a ton of comborelated ones, I'm wondering how to initiate a combo. What is it even? Or I know what it is of course, but not when I am doing one or not.

3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Disc 1 of FFVII done yay

4. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    That's a question that the game is not good at answering. It gives you the tutorial for each one once and never lets you look at it again.

There are two types of combos. One is a Driver combo. You can see this combo's progress above the name of your enemy, on the left side, with a purple bar. When the Break status is inflicted, you can then hit them with Topple. When the Topple status is inflicted, you can hit them with Launch. When Launch is inflicted, you can hit them with Smash. Each of the statuses (Topple -> Launch -> Smash) makes them more vulnerable to damage and stuns them for a while, preventing them from auto-attacking. I think when the affinity chart asks you for a driver combo, you only need to get as far as Topple. If you're using Rex, his grappling hook move is a good way to inflict Topple as long as someone else has hit them with Break first.

The second type of combo is an element combo. When you or anyone else in your party use an elemental special attack, you can start an element combo. You can view the current status of the element combo in two places:

1) immediately above the name of the enemy, on the right side, with a color-coded bar based on what element you used, and
    2) in the upper-right corner of the screen, there will be a tree showing you what elements should be used next.

Element combos have to be in increasing order of special attack (A button) level: at least level 1, then at least level 2, then at least level 3 for the final attack. If you successfully chain together level 1, 2, and 3 attacks before the timers run out, you will see a small cutscene with the level 3 attack, and an elemental orb matching the element of your level 3 attack will be generated and start orbiting the enemy. These orbs can be burst using Chain Attacks (hit + when the party gauge in the top-left is full) to get extra attacks added to your chain attack. I can do a separate post on Chain Attacks if that would help. You cannot place two orbs of the same element on the same enemy, so if you're fighting a boss, try to vary the attacks you use.

If any of that is confusing, let me know and I can try to rephrase it. It took me FOREVER to figure all of that out because the battle system didn't make me learn it until about 2/3 of the way through the game when I got stuck on a particular boss and needed to really have a handle on the system to win.

5. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    My time for completing Disc 1 or Part 1 as it says on iOS version :) 23 and a half hours wow I did take my time with it and enjoyed it

Attached Files:

6. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Glad to hear you finished Tactics. That remains my favorite Final Fantasy game, and quite possibly my favorite game of all time.

Polished off Chapter IV of Dragon Quest IV. Now on to Chapter V: Let's Get The Band Back Together.

7. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Wow, thank you so much! There should definitely have been a battle tutorial you could check more than once. I think I'm starting to understand the first one. For the second I will have to watch the screen. I'm going to bed and playing some now. I find it a very relaxing game to play since it's so open. I can do a little bit of everything.

8. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Awesome :D I liked disc one the least. Still good, but I like it best when it opens up a bit.

9. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    How do you feel it is to play on ios?

10. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I agree
    I love Gold Saucer, Cait Sith and some of the odd things about this game
    The Materia means there are so many diff combinations and characters you could spend hours on that alone
    There are some parts where controls can be frustrating but it’s that way On ps version too
    I like it much better than ps version :)
    I love it

11. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    That's great! :D

I myself is officially lost... In Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's like they decided to make a game and was like "how can we make a match made in heaven rpg for Winter". It has everything needed to consume my soul for hundreds of hours.
    As I finally started to understand combos and many other things I'm definitely having a hard time putting it down. It's like a page turner. Just one more.....

12. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Still cruising along in Etrian Odyssey V here. I'm to the ninth floor and haven't had any real difficulty yet. I've been playing pretty conservatively with a standard party of tank / swordsman / brawler / healer / attack mage (they changed up the class names in this one for no apparent reason), and they've been serving me very well. They really took off when my attack mage got a staff that let him cast a fire spell for half of what the basic fire spell cost.

It seems a little funny/wrong that the Brawler's move that punches people in the head and causes Head Bind is called Concussion.

13. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Do you recommend Etrian Odyssey? I have never played it, but heard of it a lot.

14. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    It's hard to know when to recommend Etrian Odyssey and when not to. The game appeals to me a lot because I grew up in the 1980s and played a lot of games such as the early Might and Magic titles - first person perspective party-based dungeons where you had to draw your own maps because there weren't quality-of-life features like many games today have.

Etrian Odyssey is very much a throwback to that era. The games can be difficult and progress can be slow, but I find the gameplay loop to be satisfying. You have a party of five adventurers, and in each game you build your party to your specifications by choosing not only their job classes, but also different skill builds as they level up (one skill point per experience level, and you cannot possibly max out everything, so each person's build will likely be different if they are not using a guide). Each game except Etrian Odyssey IV has one major, lengthy dungeon where the gameplay proceeds as follows:

- Enter the dungeon at the furthest point you possibly can, or at a point nearest to a sidequest
    - Explore as far as you can until you feel like you cannot safely continue, or try to finish a sidequest
    - Return to a hub town, sell your findings, save the game, and repeat

While you explore, the game allows you to draw a map of the dungeon on the bottom screen, which is permanently displayed as you play. Each floor will have 1 or more secret passages to make further progression easier as you move along (typically this results in shortcuts from the beginning to the end of the floor, allowing you to easily skip much closer to where you left off in your previous run).

I've really enjoyed the entire series. I can't speak to the "Etrian Odyssey Untold" remakes, though - those both remade EO1 and EO2 in the style of EO4, which is great for quality-of-life improvements like adding strafe movement and additional icons for making your maps more detailed. They also added more story to the games, which I find unnecessary - I don't need my party to have personalities, I'm here to dungeon crawl and experience the world. But YMMV on that, apparently people generally like the EOU titles.

The soundtracks for all the games have primarily been composed by Yuzo Koshiro, who I personally can't get enough of.

IMO the weakest title in the series is EO2, but any of the rest would be fine. 3 has the most unique story progression of the series, so I have a soft spot for that one.

But if dungeon-crawling and drawing your own maps isn't your thing, you should stay away, because that is the entire point here.

15. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Seems like I should look more into it and definitely could be my thing :)

16. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition drops February 9th!

17. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Almost thought it would be longer. Will it be the same game essentially with different graphhics? Haven't looked into it much since I have FFXV.

18. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I saw that this morning. iPhone 6S or later so I guess I'll miss the party. I'm still rocking my iPhone 6 and planned to wait until next year to upgrade.

That's fine as I'm still in my Dragon Quest playthrough and after that I'd hoped to get around to FFVII and FFIX. And I picked up Jade Empire in the Holiday sales so my dance card is booked for now.

DQ IV update: I've made it to Zenithia and met the Dragon. I've made forays into the cave to the Underworld but I'm not leveled high enough. I'm planning to do some grinding across all my heroes and maybe pick up one more liquid metal armor (I have two floating around my party). It's been fun. I guess there's a bonus 6th chapter on the iOS port so even when I win I'll have a bit more time with this cast of characters.

19. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    While waiting for XV Pocket Edition a reminder today is when Final Fantasy Dissidia Opera Omnia drops in the West
    I have played it and it’s really not a bad FTP FF game
    Looking forward to playing the English version

20. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I'm upgrading my phone sometime in the next couple months currently I have a 6s plus but I only have 64GB and this will take up a good bit of that ha my next phone will be 256GB i don't even care what model it is haha