Do apps download in the background (iPod / iTouch)?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kiranb28, Jun 28, 2010.

1. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Here's my question... after I purchase an item and download it via the iTouch's Appstore, the spinning wheel-type network activity icon starts turning, indicating the active download.

What flusters me is how this icon disappears, even if I go into the settings menu to change the Device's brightness or if I listen to music. It's as if I have to set my device aside on the home screen until the app finishes downloading.

Is this actually the case, or does the app keep downloading in the background regardless of the little icon on top disappearing?

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    im pretty sure it's only downloading when the wheel is spinning.

3. iTracki

iTracki Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    USA
    I may not understand your question, but the app will still download even if you aren't at the home screen. You can buy a game from the App Store and then go play another game, and the app will continue to download.

4. iTracki

Mar 20, 2010
    USA
    Actually I don't think so, for me sometimes the wheel stops spinning in the status bar and yet the app is still downloading.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    After the app downloads it installs, which wouldn't be using the wifi (which spins the wheel ;))

6. iTracki

Mar 20, 2010
    USA
    Oh yea, haha my bad. But yes, the apps do download even if you're not at the home screen on your iDevice.