Final Fantasy Tactics Discussion - Tips + Strategy

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Cilo, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    [​IMG]

From the looks of it, the main thread is mainly to discuss app price, initial impressions, and bugs - so I thought I would create this thread for those of us who are knee deep in the thick of the Tactics world, despite how the app is performing on all devices at the given moment.

Please leave complaints about game performance, and your opinions about pricing in the main thread - consider this your place to "talk shop". I know we have FFT veterans on TA, so let's hear what you have to say!

Have any starting tips? How are you assembling your first party in Chapter 1? Which job abilities should be our priority to grind out? Anything else FFT related I'd like to know. :D

2. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

I will be very interested in seeing how this thread turns out. Keep up the good work! Also any pointers to get past the mission where your fighting the leader of the Death somethings. The main rogue group in the first chapter lol

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm almost there, I just made it to the first slums, I spent some time grinding out a couple of battles in the first two forest areas to unlock JP Boost on all my members. Once I get there though I'll definitely let you know!

This is pretty much a fresh experience, I haven't played this game since the PS1 days, and I never owned a Psp, so the changes in dialogue and the integrated animation are all new to me :).

4. kaokien

kaokien Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Keeping your girlfriend company
    Add iKaokien GameCenter
    what should be the average level in chapter 2 ? I'm currently level 11-9 with 4 character level 4 with one and then the two guest's are level 4-5 also should i start towards the path of dark knight or wait till the end when all classes are maxed ?

5. Ghostpants

Ghostpants Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Student
    Australia
    JP Boost and move+1 are very useful skills to have at the beginning of the game, if you don't want to make your whole team squires just keep 1 of them as a squire. As long as 1 squire is present (This works for any class), I believe everyone on the team gets 40%(?) of the JP that they earned.

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    No, you need JP Boost equipped on each person. Only works for the person that has it.

There is, however, a JP bonus when you have multiple people with the same job on the team. I like to level everyone up as the same job at the same time because of this.

7. zero144

zero144 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    #7 zero144, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    (I've played about 16hrs on iPhone and 140+ On PSP)

Some Tips:

1) Jobs, spells and equipment are essential to winning. Make sure you set up good job foundations as well as keeping up to date with your spell "purchases" and allocating these to your character's action slots. The newest equipment can also be the difference between life and death. Also have a Job goal for your character Eg. I'm going to make Ramza a ninja. Keep gender in mind if you want a dancer or a bard

2) Must have abilities- Move +1 Or Battle Boots (As long as your char has at least move 4), JP boost. Make sure you have several people who can use Items> Phoenix Down learnt from the chemists job.

3) Always Try to have all of your characters' abilities slots full. Eg My Samurai (Btch to get you know!) Has (Top to bottom): Iaido, Items, Counter, JP Booost, Lifefont

4) To grind JP easily find 2 "blue dot" cities right next to each other (It works with a blue and a green but you might get a battle- You'll see why this is bad later). Go to the tavern > Errands. Then you can send away a number of your units on a "mission"- you don't get to play the mission they just disappear from your party for the selected number of days (You can see the date in the top left of the map screen).

Once they go move between the 2 blue dots until the number of days has passed, then go Tavern > Reports. They will tell you what happened, then you get money and all the characters who went on the trip will get JP (from experience about 100-300 EACH so don't waste this on lower jobs)

5) If you are on top of a battle (must b with humans), you can just leave one human alive and wait for the killed enemies to crystallize (But make sure none of your guys do! Otherwise they're gone forever). After they crystallize, you can "Acquire skills" by stepping on them. This is very useful and saves grinding for spells.

Not all enemies turn into crystals, some leave chests- Which give you an item they had- So either way this is good.

6) Never let any of your characters crystallize (When they die, If the number gets less then 0 they will turn into a Chest/Crystal). This mill mean they're gone forever and you will have to retrain a new character

7) VERY IMPORTANT (Annoying if you miss it). At some time in the game a girl will offer you a flower. BUY the flower! Its good :D

8) Don't invest too much time training up guests/Not in your main five characters. OR CHOCOBO's! (You know what I mean :p). PS I like how they have black and white chocobo's, very politically correct :p (Joke ppl)

9) Bravery and faith are slightly important for some jobs but your casters (B/W Mages) should be hight faith- This is why my white mage still cures about 20HP :|- Google "FFT Faith" if you want to read more

10) My most valuable asset in this game is this: The job tree.

PS: Fire away your questions. This game is very hard the first time (Still is hard for me- Just ground for several hours trying to beat lionel castle gate. Tips for that map- get Ramza to open the door- there is a switch ;) ). I'll be here answering Q's as I play

Attached Files:

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #8 Cilo, Aug 6, 2011
    Lol nice trick, thanks!

@zero144 Damn, and I just grinded out another chemist to prep as a white mage :( she has high bravery but her faith is in the mid 40s, ugh. Someone told me bravery factors into counter attacks, but nobody mentioned that faith affects spellpower. Makes complete sense though. Looks like I'll be starting a new white mage before I move on.

Nvm, just noticed I could build one of my squires into a white mage, and the other back to melee. What are optimal stats for archers? A mix of bravery and faith?

9. Lazer

Lazer Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    You do need JP boost to get the JP boost, but all of your party members will earn some JP in the job that a character is, as long as they have access to that job. I'm gonna drop some generic tips below under some spoiler shields for y'all as an FFT veteran.

Tip #1:
    Speed is super important. If you find yourself just getting whooped in a battle, try changing jobs/abilities so that you can boost the speed of your party members. Going from 6 to 7 can really help a lot.

Tip #2:
    IMO for general success you should look at learning Inherents, Movements, Counters, and then regular abilities. Once you have a good counter (Hamedo!) stick with that, but having access to the different inherent and movement abilities will have more of an effect on battles.

Tip #3:
    A lot of abilities that would be meh in standard rpgs are really quite awesome in FFT. Mediator might look pretty lame at first, but trust me it's not.
    Tip #4:
    You can see the order of turns coming up by checking the AT menu. Learn how to use this, it will help you a lot.

10. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    #10 SkyMuffin, Aug 6, 2011
    -You can get JP and XP by having your people attack and heal each another. Or, you can learn the Squire ability "Focus" and then just spam it endlessly if you are really into grinding.

-You get JP for the current job, regardless of what job skills you use.

-Don't bother suiting up your guests-- they all come and go at some point in the game. Also, they don't get a 3-turn counter on death so just let them wallow in battle. :D

-It's pointless to train more than five people. Use the other people for propositions/missions at the Tavern.

-Always attack from the side or (preferably) behind. It reduces your enemy's chance of dodging or blocking (100% chance for behind). Conversely, always turn your characters so that they can only be attacked from the front or the side. There are also some bonuses if you have higher ground.

-If you have trouble selecting units, try tapping just above them. That's where the area is :)

-If you're having trouble at the beginning, turn everyone into a knight for a few battles and grab equipment at Eagros. You will eventually want JP boost though.

11. Ghostpants

Ghostpants Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Student
    Australia
    I must've worded my post poorly, I was talking about the getting JP points without being the class itself, which you stated.

12. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    This is much better than the release thread! Many thanks to all who give tips and help, I very much appreciate it for what is a daunting but very rewarding game IMHO.

13. merryjashan

merryjashan New Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I played this games its too good.. But till now I haven't clear its stage.. so please tell me some secrete about this game..

14. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #14 Cilo, Aug 6, 2011
    Are you talking about the female rogue with the white mages? I finally got there and kicked her ass but she put the smackdown on my black mage, and I couldn't revive him in time so I'll be redoing it tomorrow.

It's not that hard though, I made sure I brought enough potions and Phoenix downs, kill the white mages first, then work on the archers that charm. If you have Ramza as a knight, you can pretty much wreck everyone.

Edit: Nvm, I haven't made it to Weigraf yet, I heard he is a challenge though. Currently I'm rolling with two knights, an archer, a priest, and an insanely powerful black mage with magic counter and arcane strength blasting people with a fire rod.

15. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    This game is a port of the psp version. If you can find guides that are aimed for the psp version you are good to go. There is a particularly good one in gamefaqs.

16. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #16 Cilo, Aug 6, 2011
    Alright I made it to the first encounter with Weigraf which wasn't that difficult, but then again my party members were all lvl 10. I went knight, black mage with blizzara and arcane strength, priest with raise, and an archer with concentrate and only aim +1.

I did have to revive Delita and my black mage once each, but that's mainly because I put the mage into danger by forcing him upfront to pretty much decimate everyone with blizzara, then picking off the strays with the archer. Since most of the enemy are clumped up next to the mill, blizzara's aoe is gg. :D

Oh also battle boots equipped with the jump +1 ability on a black mage is OP. Here's a few pics of my arcane killer, and also my current party.

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

17. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    #17 SkyMuffin, Aug 6, 2011
    Just beat the first chapter. Here's a tip: use your enemy's spellcasters to your advantage. :)

18. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'd like to see a screenshot of your favorite or most powerful party member SkyMuffin. :)

19. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I had all knights, since I'm leveling everyone together at the moment. So it would be kind of silly.

20. Lazer

Lazer Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    You guys need to start using Monks...