Smoke, Game, Podcast

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Piph, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    #1 Piph, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    I smoke cigarettes. I love podcasts. I'm addicted to my iPhone and its games. As you might imagine, all three make a pretty fantastic combination.

Unfortunately, I've found that the best way to combine these is by finding a game with at least some of the following qualifications:

- Can be played with one hand
    - Can be played with the sounds muted
    - Not dependent on fast response times
    - Turn based
    - Can be played with device at a vertical (portrait) angle
    - Not story intensive
    - Doesn't require extreme concentration

I have a hard time finding good games that meet some of these needs sometimes, but I figure I can't be the only person who plays their games like this.

So here's a thread for those of you who need a game that suits similar needs.

Hopefully we can get enough good recommendations for a solid list.

2. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Here's my personal list of the games I played and loved that fulfilled pretty much all of these needs. I feel like most of them are pretty well known, but I'll come back and give some quick impressions of each game if anyone's curious about them.

Just wanted to throw the list up first. These are in no particular order.

- Nimble Quest
    - Game Dev Story
    - Dungelot
    - EDGE Extended
    - Pixel Defenders
    - Dungeon Story
    - Puzzle Craft
    - Triple Town
    - Bejeweled
    - Tiny Tower

3. Bowler

Bowler Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Sales
    DungeonRaid is another one that would probably suit this style of play. It's a pretty great game, of adenturing/surviving in a dungeon and fighting off enemies and bosses with unique abilities - but you do everything by dragging to match symbols so it's simple. I've put quite a few hours into it.

4. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Haha, I literally JUST finished downloading it. I'd seen it around before, but it seemed to similar to a lot of the games I already had on that list. Been a while since I've played a matching game, though, so we'll see how I take to it. :)

I'm sure it'll grab me, though.

5. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Outwitters fits that to a T. Plus, free.

6. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    So DungeonRaid completely grabbed me by the balls and hasn't let go.

It's perfect for what I was looking for. It has more strategy to it than any of the other match 3 RPGs I've played, which keeps me from ever feeling like in just tapping through the motions, but the simplicity of the mechanics make it so that even when I pause to strategize, I rarely find myself so distracted by it that I can't listen to and appreciate my favorite podcasts.

The intro text at the beginning of each game is always interesting, and it's become something I look forward to and even softens the blow of a game over screen.

And the character profession! I'm thrilled to see all these skills, perks, flaws, classes, and races. Makes me excited about the possibilities and keeps me coming back every day to keep earning things.

Can't believe I've been missing out on this game this whole time, but at the same time it feels fitting to save the best for last. :p

7. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    What's Outwitters? I could search it up, I know, but I prefer personal perspectives so much more.

8. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Letterpress and Blendoku (which just received an update with portrait orientation).

9. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Letterpress is mtiplayer only, right?

And what the heck is blendoku?

10. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Yes.

Blendoku is a puzzle game. Check its thread on these forums.