Universal Mos Speedrun (by Physmo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 6, 2011.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    woot woot!!! Yeah, we need to get everyone we know to buy this one!!! The guys at Physmo totally deserve MAD FREAK'N CASH for producing this top notch game!!!

I'm thinking I might buy a gift card and use all of it gifting this to friends...

You guys should put a donation button on your site!!! I'd love to donate with the hopes that you guys keep updating Mos, or start working on another game!!!

2. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    I keep trying to push the limits of each run. I pretty much always feel like there's a few milliseconds to shave off my times on most of the stages.

Great game. :)

Ah, the good ol' days. ;)

3. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I think it's kinda sad I think 4-1 is harder than 5-1. Haven't beat either yet, but I've gotten quite a ways on 5-1 but I can never get the timing right for the tunnel on 4-1

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    wish I could record my iPod screen... =o/

this is one of those games that needs more vids up on youtube

5. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Yes, I found world 4 to be a lot harder than world 5. But perhaps it's just me.

6. nickd3000

nickd3000 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    indie game developer
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Thanks! We don't have a donate button but please spread the word if you like the game and adding a quick rating/review on the app store really helps! :D

nick

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yup, done and done! =oP

8. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Comments, suggestions, criticisms...

First of all, absolutely fantastic game! I love seeing all the little ghosts running around, dying off one by one as you make it further and further into a new level. And for the record, I greatly prefer the Mos control scheme. Three buttons just doesn't work without tactile feedback, in my opinion. And the Mos scheme definitely takes some getting used to, but it just feels better to me and is one of the reasons this game blows other iOS platformers out of the water.

Although the game is great how it is now, I would LOVE to see a level editor with the ability to share them. I may not make a whole lot of them myself, but it would literally mean endless new levels if there was a community.

Also, it would be great if you could watch replays (besides ghosts) of your best time on each level, and maybe share them on the leaderboards like Jet Car Stunts does. Then you could download any of the best times and "race" them yourself as well! Not sure if that's possible with Gamecenter, though... JCT uses OpenFeint I believe.

Being able to send your best times to friends and race each others ghosts even without the leaderboards would be great, actually.

I've had a few very small problems with the game as well. For one thing, in the achievements there is some confusion about what the word "level" means, as there are 5 main levels and each one has 5 more sublevels which are also called "levels" in the achievements. For instance, "The Easy Part" says 'Complete all 20 original levels' which I assume means the "sub-levels" and "speedrunner" says 'Complete any level (except the first) under the timelimit' which I assume means one of the five main levels because I've beat an awful lot of sublevels under the time limit and this has still not been badged for me... Even if it turns out that's a Gamecenter error on my device, the main levels in the game are still also called "Levels" and the acheivements definitely also refer to sublevels as "Levels". Not a huge deal, but caused a little confusion for me at first...

Also, in Level 1-3 there are some bubbles in the water at the start of the level which don't replenish your air until it's halfway gone, and then only do it up to the halfway point. Not a huge deal since you don't really need it there, but it's just an odd inconsistency since all the other bubbles that look like that replenish air fully...

And finally, is there a way to access Gamecenter in the game? I can't seem to find it... I have to go to the Gamecenter app itself.

Sorry for the lengthy post! I only post like this on games that I really, really love, and this one is incredible. Great controls, great graphics, great feel. I can't stop playing, and I can't wait to see it grow and get even better (if possible)!

9. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    In my case, the three button control scheme works great. I don't mind having the Mos control scheme as an option for players that have issues with the arrows, but I've been topping the leaderboards with the current default controls. :D

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #350 psj3809, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
    I do love this game, simple graphics but great gameplay. I'm very happy you can turn the ghosts off as i never have those on, just like taking my time and treating it like a proper platformer, not fussed about times etc.

But an excellent game and one of my favourites (Just left a 5/5 review on itunes)

11. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    One last thing to add... what do the clocks mean on the level select screen?

12. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Those are the Time Trial levels in GC.

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah the virtual buttons work great. Best ones on the iPhone IMO (sorry League of Evil, I still <3 you). I was actually jockeying back and forth with JoelSixPack for the #1 spots on the leaderboards before people like YOU :)D) came in and demolished our scores. And that was using the virtual button scheme.

Now if I could just find the time to get back into competing...

14. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    As soon as I saw your name at the top of the leaderboards, I knew something had to be done. I can't live in that world. I just can't. :p

Yeah, between professional cat photography and yelling at the Giants, I often wonder where you find the time to play. ;)

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    GAH!!! Yup... I officially give up on trying to beat ur scores... just TOO fast man!! I've been trying crazy like for the last couple days, and it's driving me CRAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZIEEEEEEE!!

:::Bows Down:::

yes... you are a platformer KING
    :p:p

16. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    want to reach the 500 shadows that follows me in the run...is there a limit in the shadows of yourself? I don't reach it yet

17. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    The key for me is enabling ghosts. I then race against the ghost of my high score run. As soon as I fall behind my ghost, I pause and restart. When I die, I immediately pause and restart so a new ghost doesn't appear.

The only time I don't mind a new ghost appearing is when it was ahead of my high score ghost. If too many ghosts start to bother my run, I then return to the level menu and go back into the level.

Make sure to start off even or faster than your ghost every time. Note: your high score ghost will appear slightly ahead of you when you're actually even with it.

Good luck! :)

18. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #358 Guise, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
    Wait, does this game feature an invisible hooking component that I'm unaware of? Or does qpawn just love them speedruns?

19. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Am I the only one using the Hook Champ control scheme? :p

I loves me some speedruns! The only games I really speedrun are Hook Champ, SuperQuickhook, and Mos Speedrun. Great level design. :)

20. Tondog

Tondog Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Web Developer
    Minnesota
    I HATE THIS GAME SO MUCH! No seriously, it makes me want to throw my iPad against the wall because I just barely miss the time. Then I go back and try again, and I fail again. Try, fail. Try, fail. Forever. I think this game has a grip on me.

But really, awesome game. Can't wait to give the new levels a shot.