Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-05-2014, 10:51 PM

psj3809, Big Logo, thank you so much! We are super happy you are enjoying the game and thank you for letting us know. You never really know how a game will be received and it's always great to hear some positive comments.

And, psj, I couldn't agree more about more love and recognition for Sword & Penguin, let's hope the editors are reading this! ha ha ha ^_^
Old 07-05-2014, 11:23 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

The trailer for the game was super cute with the 'kid' talk.
I like the cuteness of the game.
Could someone give me a short description of game play?
At first I thought it was more like a slide then move. Then I see that thewre is more choice to the movement.
I like how it looks. Now I want to know if I'll like how it plays.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:13 AM
iPhone 5

I'll try and get some gameplay videos up on YouTube soon, maybe play-throughs of the user-submitted levels.

The goal of each level (campaign, or otherwise) is to rescue an egg. Once you clear a level, adjacent level are unlocked, so you don't necessarily have to play them linearly. Every 16th level is a boss level.

You maneuver within a top down isometric view. Move up/down/left/right to avoid enemies and traps. While you can use swipe controls on the play field, I recommend onscreen dpad or an MFI controller.

Starting with Chapter#3, levels include weapons that work as follows:
- sword: charge enemies to slice them
- bomb: tap to throw bombs (long distance area attack - my favorite)
- bow & arrows: stand still to fire arrows, gauntlet style
Other collectables including nukes, magic ring, heart containers

The main threat is the polar bear army, which includes exploding (detonate on contact) bears, armored bears, snowball-throwing bears, and even bomb-lobbing bears. Most bears will only chase you if you're in their line of sight, but dark bears will hunt you down. Gulls show up on later levels, which can fly over walls.

Some stages are action-oriented, but many are logic puzzles.

Gameplay elements include ice blocks: you can push 'em around to put out fires, crush exploding bears (pengo style), trigger switches. There are teleportation pads, ice patches, cracked ground & pits. Snow piles can hide items - reveal them by lobbing a bomb next to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
The trailer for the game was super cute with the 'kid' talk.
I like the cuteness of the game.
Could someone give me a short description of game play?
At first I thought it was more like a slide then move. Then I see that thewre is more choice to the movement.
I like how it looks. Now I want to know if I'll like how it plays.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:24 PM

Default Gameplay video from iOS Gameplay Videos ^_^

Hey, Lavender, glad you are interested. Just discovered that the good folks over at iOS Gameplay Videos posted over 7 minutes of gameplay. It's a tad choppy (I'm guessing because of the recording software) but it should give you a really good idea of the game play.

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 07-08-2014, 04:33 AM
iPhone 5

Chapter #1 partial-walkthrough is fine and dandy, but better yet, here's a video capture of one of the newer user-created levels published to the online hub.

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 07-09-2014, 02:35 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Default Game Impressions

Had kept me occupied for hours while I was in the hospital. Really has a lot of depth the more you get into it and the story is ridiculously funny! Congrats on making such a great game!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelBinary View Post
Had kept me occupied for hours while I was in the hospital. Really has a lot of depth the more you get into it and the story is ridiculously funny! Congrats on making such a great game!
Thanks dude! I loved testing Only One too!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 AM
iPhone 5

Default Sword & Penguin 1.1 submitted

Changes:
- status bar now hidden on iPad
- leaderboards and achievements moved to a GameCenter group, so they can be shared with the upcoming OSX build
- fix for GameCenter aliases that include non-ascii characters
- enabled missing Chapter#8 speed run leaderboard
- fix: replay mode (hint feature) during campaign was contributing to achievements (i.e. collect N coins)
- fix: replay mode (hint feature) for user-submitted levels was occasionally slightly out of sync

Other stuff under consideration for future updates:

1) the online hub for browsing user created levels currently shows newest levels first, then older levels. Users are required to solve their own levels before they can submit them (and in fact their play-through is available as a 'hint'). But there's no real quality control for user-content. There have been user created levels that feature over a dozen bosses, combined with a stockpile of bombs/weapons. I guess it can be fun obliterating a bunch of corralled polar bears, but it's not really much of a challenge. There is the ability to "like" a level - the hub will eventually take user ratings into account to make it easier to find popular levels, or to distinguish between easy/hard levels.

2) while I love the penguin theme and Louis's slick animations, the earliest prototypes used Zelda and Gauntlet sprites for player and bad guys. While I'm obviously not going to include any copyrighted assets it might be fun to add the ability to optionally install an external texture pack for folk that want to customize the game.