Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-23-2014, 04:03 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Long over due, but I finished the game completely last night.

Before I give my feedback I'd like to point out I've had the same exact gc achievement bug mentioned on the last page. Not just in this game but in the first one as well and I'm on a fantastic wifi connection and usually have a solid 3G signal the few times I'm away from wifi. Every single door I enter triggers all of the achievements to run through and if I go through another door before it finishes it just tacks on the list all of them again once it's finished. IT WILL stop if I let it run through how ever many doors as I've gone through, however further in the game it's just not possible to go that slow since the achievement list is so long.

I'm running this on iOS 6 with a 4S. It may be an iOS6 issue. Whatever the case, it's definitely not my wifi connection as the network here is one of the best I've ever been on (and I've had T1 lines which were terrible compared to this).

Ok...

The game.

Overall a solid platforming experience. As an old Dragon Warrior (Quest) fan, I'm used to level grinding my way to being a bit overpowered and it scratched that itch a little to be able to grind weapons quickly and grind for loot to upgrade. I didn't buy the IAP because I didn't want the extra power and since there would be no way to remove it... I figured I'd just watch the ad banner show when I went in the menus.

I did 100% complete all the levels however as I got closer to the end ... with all my weapons powered to 10 and having long since maxed out leveling calley up and buying everything... well, I just kind of realized it was better to just blow past enemies when possible (using the freeze gun) and just finishing the level as fast as possible. Also as health got low I'd just throw money into the health refill a bunch of times. Exploring the game overall seems pretty pointless since the only reward I ever saw was more gems/money. So late in the game I stopped caring about side paths and I stopped going back to see what was behind those special walls that I needed certain guns for. In that respect, it's kind of a fail. I love the game but the need to explore doesn't really give any kind of rewarding feeling later on.

If there's more to the game... like actual hidden secrets (which I read about the other mystery on the home screen)... well... that would make playing the game more worth it. As it is, 5 hours of playtime and I'm pretty much done with this one. IT's definitely something I'll recommend but please fix the GC error and in the next game make exploration something with some meaning. Like an alternate path to some other levels or something... or a hidden wall that reveals some extended story line or whatever. It's a good game but no doubt at the end I was just pushing my way through to the finish line.

EDIT:

IS the super secret in the backyard (not talking platform) •••Spoiler:  That if you go in the house your gun disappears? Or is that just a bug? That's probably not it as you said there was some reward attached... but... I'm scratching my head at what else it could be since I've used the flamethrower (I think that's the weapon in the hint you posted). Feel free to send me a pm as to what the real secret is if I'm wrong.

Last edited by nightc1; 07-23-2014 at 04:23 PM..
Old 07-23-2014, 05:28 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Never mind. I figured out the secret. •••Spoiler:  flamethrower attack house

For some reason it didn't trigger until I reset the game.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Never mind. I figured out the secret. •••Spoiler:  flamethrower attack house

For some reason it didn't trigger until I reset the game.
Interesting, we didn't know that did anything! Haha. Thanks so much for your thoughts nightc, we will definitely be making our next game a bit more exploration focused and have better rewards for exploration (and a new game plus mode which will unlock another tier of weapons). We'll start posting our progress on our blog asap! And it is going to be Cally 3
Old 07-24-2014, 09:42 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Sounds great. If the GC error could be fixed though in Calley's Caves 1... that would be awesome since I'm still trying to finish it.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:56 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Sounds great. If the GC error could be fixed though in Calley's Caves 1... that would be awesome since I'm still trying to finish it.
We will definitely try our best! Thanks for your patience with us as a two man team, we are learning a lot as we go.