Any games similar to Gangstar on the iDevice??

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kiranb28, Jul 4, 2010.

1. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    First and foremost, i'm NOT looking for a GTA: Chinatown Ward type game.

I just fired up Gangstar for the first time since the 0.99c sale and was quite impressed at how Gameloft managed to get this game running and looking so nicely onto such a small platform. It reminded me of the GTA:VC days and i'm really craving for it to make its appearance on the iPhone/iTouch.

For now, are there any other third person action games which are similar to Gangstar?

2. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    From what I can think of, the only free-roam action games are RPGs. In that case, Dungeon Hunter, Chaos Rings, Ravensword or Dexter.

If you're not specifically looking for free-roam games, but action games, then NOVA, Modern Combat, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Zombie Infection and Brothers In Arms 2 are some of the ones I recommend.

3. All-Eyez-On-Me

All-Eyez-On-Me Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Are you looking for a gangster game with gang like gameplay or just third person in general?

4. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    #4 K.D!, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
    The only game I can think of that's even similar to Gangstar is 'Driver' but you're confined to your car.

Plus, it's still only 59p/99c so it's worth a download either way.

5. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Take Driver it's much better than gangstar!

6. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

#6 Beto_Machado, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
    I wish there were more free-roaming games like it, too. AFAIK, it's the only game in the iDevices that has that feel.

I wouldn't consider Chaos Rings free-roaming...

7. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    A free-roaming, open-world game rendered in true 3-D with no environmental load times. Gangstar is the only game that fits this description, really. Driver and Ravensword (although Ravensword does have environmental loading) are probably the closest, but they are not quite the same.

Xenome, which isn't out yet, is the only game that might compare. The setting is vastly different though, obviously.

8. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

A free roam, open-world game can have loading times for buildings and citys and such stuff. Ever played Oblivion?

9. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

In regards to the op, here's a couple of upcoming games that might be what you're looking for:
    • The rumour is that Gameloft is making Gangstar: Sin City (see this thread) at the moment. It sounds a lot like San Andreas to me.
    • And Tag Games is making a full 3d sequel to Car Jack Streets (aptly named CJS2). Not sure if this will be full 3d like gangstar or more like GTA:CW - probably more the later I suspect.
    And if you like the car chases/races etc in Gangstar, then I would highly recommend Driver, especially whilst its on sale. And the good news is that the driving is much better and the difficulty way higher. On top of that, its got 4 whole cities and lots of bonus modes to play around with.

10. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I have all of the above except Splinter Cell and Modern Combat :) Havent gotten around to playing them much yet though...

Nah, I have no fascination for gangster games - just a third person open-world type game should do the trick. More than this, I was impressed by Gangstar's ability to mimick the GTA series on such a tiny platform.

Thanks - i'm a bit on the fence about Driver, partially because I enjoy exploring the city on foot. I'm also on the fence about Ravensword, perhaps i'll do a bit more research on it before diving in.

11. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

There is a lite version of driver.

12. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
  13. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Also later this year Aralon: Sword and Shadow which will be a free roaming game.

14. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Yes, it can, but I'm saying that Gangstar doesn't, and currently is the only free-roaming game (rendered in true 3-D, and not isometric 3-D) that doesn't have load times, which makes it different from all the other ones that do have load times. That's all I'm saying.

15. Danny5499

Danny5499 New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    gangstar 3

Does anyone know when gangstar 3 is going 2 come out

16. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

How about:

1. Not bumping threads that are more than a year old

2. Not asking for the release date of a game that hasn't even been announced yet?

17. PoobyPee

PoobyPee New Member

Jun 25, 2012
    1. Urban Crime; Price: 0.00
    2. Gangstar: Miami Vindication; Price: 6.99 (Lite v. available)
    3. Grand Theft Auto III; Price: 4.99
    4. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars; Price: 3.99 ( Lite v available)
    5. Backstab; Price: 6.99 (Lite v. available)
    6. Gangstar: Rio City; Price: 8.99

There is 6.
    1,2,5,and 6 are by Gameloft.
    3 and 4 are by Rockstar Games

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Oh god please this thread is almost a year old don't bump threads