Is IOS gaming still viewed as causal by the majority?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bronxsta, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

As both an IOS gamer and PC gamer, I consider IOS to be just valid and reputable a gaming platforms as PC and consoles. There have been more than enough games in the last few years showcasing the diversity and depth that IOS games can achieve. Yet, in Steam forums and comments on places like IGN, and forums such as NeoGAF and Reddit, there seems to be an attitude of distain towards IOS gaming and this perspective that IOS gaming is nothing but F2P causal crap.

Now of course I'm biased since my views on IOS gaming is molded by the time I spend on the forums here and other IOS/indie-centric forums. And Steam forums and IGN comments are probably the least respectable sources around, other than maybe Youtube comments.

So is IOS gaming still considered as causal by most? Or has the perspective changed in recent years/months?

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The way i treat my games on iOS it isnt casual at all. I guess this is one reason i can never put up with timers that prevent playing the game.

I have spent over 10 hours each on titles like Temple Run and its sequels and spinoffs, and most of the runner games i really like, oer 10 hours on most of my rhythm games like Theatrhythm FF, Cytus and Demons Score, completed Dead Space, ME Infiltrator, Shadowgun, Dead Effect, Epoch.1&2, and NOVA3 more than twice, spent over 20 hours on KOTOR, IB1, IB2, IB3, XCOM, Heroes & Castles, and i cant even count the number of games i did with twitch type games like Boson X, Duet, Super Hexagon, Fireball SE, Octagon and the likes.

For me, iOS gaming is a cheap alternative to my gaming... But the "cheap" there isnt without its cons as the iOS market is filled with games that are free but riddled with IAPs and the dreaded timers. That said, from what i do enjoy and spend time on, it is by no means casual anymore.

3. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #3 Echoen, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    Widely distributed physical controls would help but that won't happen unless it's built in with every iDevice. Apps will always be designed to have touch support so it will not match the skill level needed for the better games on console and PC... Dumbed down ports are what we get, save for genres that are at home on touch like turn-based strategy games and point and click (which is casual anyway). Unless the dev disregards balancing for touch while designing for an actual game pad. Even then, it will be more of a niche market and probably won't be a good venture.

I'm really itching for a great hack and slash with really tight controls to come to iOS. Dragon's Crown would be a superb start.

Edit: and because of the sheer number of free "facebook games" available on iOS and Android, due in part by fishing for whales, it'll stay strongly seen as casual.

4. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    For me it replaces console/PC gaming for good. I just like the whole mobile side of things. Short bursts of playing here and there, I can't sit in one place anymore and play games.

5. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I consider it pretty hardcore for myself. Have had basically every console that's ever come out not to mention almost every handheld (Nintendo, Sony) that's come out. I played world of Warcraft almost every day for like 5-6 years and now I'm married with child and don't have time to play console or computer games as much as I'd like. I like being able to jump into a game for a few minutes and actually being able to complete a level or level up a character.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Agree with the others

I'm married with a kid, i dont have time to play or sit on a PC for ages like i might have used to, iOS is great for a bit of gaming here and there where i can fit it in (wife watching a dire soap etc !) or when i'm away with work its great to use on the plane/train etc.

I like some of the 'quick' games but also the epics where i can save my progress. Also being an older gamer with devices over the years from 8 bits to a Megadrive (Genesis) to classic PC games, having so many of my favourites at the tip of my fingers whenever i want is a mini dream.

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll say this. I think IOS controllers is probably one of the most ridiculous trends I've seen. What makes IOS gaming so unique and innovative is how the strengths and features of the platform (tilt, touch interface, multi-touch) allow for controls and experiences that wouldn't work elsewhere. Device 6 could only work on IOS/mobile device IMO. I'm testing it, but the tactile nature of a touchscreen gives Monument Valley an element that wouldn't be possible with a mouse or controller

Personally I think if you're making games that play so badly on touch that a controller works better, maybe those games shouldn't be crammed onto IOS

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Kinda get what you mean but i think its good to give people options. Controllers arent for all games, obviously tilt ones or some other types. But after the 'indie' success of the iCade i think its a good move.

When i'm travelling i dont take my 8 bitty with me ! I obviously play games on my device normally, but if i'm here with my iCade sat in front of me i cant resist a few games on Gridlee.

I'm stunned at how poor the reception seems to be, overpriced joysticks and not a word from Apple.

9. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I'm only interested in iOS 7 controllers for one thing... To work in conjunction with emulators. Those classics were made with controllers.

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hey I mean, hardcore PC gamers view consoles as casual gaming too haha

11. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Yes and no. Unfortunately, the games that work *best* with touch screen aren't, for the most part, "real" games. Half of what makes something like Infinity Blade work is that the control scheme both embraces the touch screen while simultaneously giving you a "game" that would be laughable with the precision possible with physical controls. For some things, touch only is perfect - match 3, simple one or two "button" runners and jumpers, puzzle games, turn based strategy works very well, as doesn't, hypothetically, RTS, but so many games are massive compromises without physical controls.

Broke down this Christmas and got the household Nintendo 3DSs and it didn't long at all with physical controls back in my had for the first time in 4 years to remind me how much better *most* things are with real controls.

We've seen a lot of great games done with touch only controls, and over time we'll see more, but without ubiquitous physical controls available to everyone at decent prices ($99.99? HA!), a lot of gaming will be hamstrung on iOS, and, while I see your point to a degree, I'd rather have the option of playing something like a fighter or an action RPG properly on iOS than just getting rid of these hamstrung genres.

-----------------

Nerd arguing over the importance of controllers aside :), I see no sign that most people don't still regard iOS as casual. Simply by happenstance, the vast majority of the potential audience for any given iOS game are "incidental gamers". The majority wound up with an iOS device in their hands for purely non-gaming reasons. I know tons of people in my physical life with iOS devices, but, other than my kids, I know of no one who regards them as gaming devices first.

12. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    #12 bilboa, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    I don't think there needs to be any conflict between "valid" and "casual". Of course iOS gaming is "valid". I also think it's true that a much greater percentage of people who play games on iOS are more casual about their gaming than your typical console or PC gamer.

I agree there have started to be more games coming out for iOS that are straight ports of console and PC games, or rival some console/PC games in scope and quality. In my opinion though only certain genres of games really feel comparable in quality and experience between iOS and more dedicated gaming devices. For example strategy games like XCOM: Enemy Unknown or Skulls of the Shogun feel just as good on iOS as on console or PC. However I've not seen any hack-n-slash come close to giving me a Dialbo-like experience, or a driving game giving me a Forza-like experience on iOS. I don't think it's possible with just touch and tilt controls, or the extremely low maximum price you can charge on iOS, so similar games on iOS have to be greatly simplified compared to their console/PC equivalents.

So, while I think some of the disdain for mobile gaming you see on non-mobile gaming sites is just misinformed or childish elitism, I think there's a fair amount of validity to it as well. Personally I'm not offended or threatened by this. I personally spend more time gaming on my iPad than I do on my Xbox, but I also think compared to a lot of hardcore gamers it is pretty accurate to call me a casual gamer. I'm married with a kid and a full time job, so I don't really have the option of being a non-casual gamer any more, so mobile gaming just fits into my life more often now. When I do get a chance to fire up my Xbox and play some Diablo or Torchlight or Forza or Grid or other games, it's completely obvious to me that these games combined with precision physical controls are in a whole different league from anything on my iPad.

13. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    There aren't casual games, just casual players.

14. Nope, joysticks are a great option. You can see more of the screen, can have multiple people playing, and it provides another control set for games like street fighter or FPS games.

To make it funnier, he should have said, "Married with Children"

15. Short answer: yes.

16. dwx882

dwx882 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Maybe it's just me but I believe mobile gaming is the future. The ability to have hundreds of apps and games on one device, graphics that keep pushing the limits and the fact that you're now seeing more and more big-name games come to iOS help validate that fact. Go back 4+ years ago and I would have never imagined seeing the open-world grand theft auto games, lego games, the telltale games like monkey island, the walking dead and back to the future, x-com, star wars: kotor, or any of the other high-end, console-quality games on such a small device. While virtual controls may never replace physical controls we're now seeing more and more controllers being released that, despite their high price tag, help solve that problem. I keep seeing a lot of developers adding support for these devices to keep up with the trend.

I'll agree that though nothing beats a super-gorgeous game on PC or Xbox/Playstation, I don't think mobile is too far behind. Being able to take it with you on the go and not have to carry around a big console, cartridges or discs is a huge benefit. Call me crazy, but I can't go back to hardcore console or portable gaming anymore because it's still not as portable as my iPod Touch.

17. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Exactly. I agree completely. Unfortunately you're one of the few I've seen that share this opinion. I think the controllers will phase out anyway. Especially at the prices they're going for.

18. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #18 Echoen, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

Indeed, the current entry price for those controllers is exorbitant and cuts off a lot potential users, myself included because I don't value it that high. They aren't needed for sure because they aren't and can't be the primary method of control on iOS in the first place.

What I meant about balancing a game for physical controls rather than touch was in regard to the AI, targeting mechanics, and aim assist. Aside from compensating these, they may be limited depending on the graphics, frame rate and active elements as afforded by the supported iDevices (I want to bury my iPad 2 already).

There are some very unique and hard games on the iOS for sure that require precise tapping and gestures and even fine tilting but it can't match the precision and complexity offered by multiple buttons/keys you can reliably press. You want less errors due to the game's input limitations and more by your own skill which you can improve on.

I'd like to cite here Gravity Rush for the PS Vita. It combines physical controls with mobile gaming input (tilt and touch) in such great orchestration (and it's free with PS+). Even greater than Gravity Rush is 2013's Tearaway where it fully utilizes every feature the Vita has without feeling gimmicky. I could see iOS games melding the two control schemes like that in the future as long as the controllers go down in price. And I mean way down.

I don't see any sign of iOS games entering the e-sports scene anytime soon but we'll see what the future holds.

19. Sports games often need a joystick cause of the use of multiple buttons, and having an analog stick works wonders with 360 degree movement.

Any game that relies on 3-6 buttons is much better off with a joystick. That's why there aren't many good Street Fighter games and sports games.

I bet you after more people have joysticks, those two genres along with FPS games will increase in popularity and some more good games will be designed with a joystick in mind.

20. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Games like Street Fighter and even FPS are more a novelty on touchscreens and don't really belong as a serious genre on the platform. True touchscreen games are originally programmed for the platform and use it to its strengths. That said, not every genre belongs on a touchscreen. It can't be a device for every genre. I suppose if a developer made a fighting game like SF specifically for touch controls it can work, but ultimately it wouldn't be as deep as on a console. Same can be said for a FPS. They can work to a degree, but the experience and depth will be compromised. However games like XCOM or any TBS work extremely well on the platform. Unfortunately skinner boxes like farmville also work really well.