iPhone Settlers of Catan HD by USM (v3.0 Cities & Knights)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 29, 2010.

1. geb

geb Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Disappointed….

Man, I have to say I am really disappointed with the USM team. Catan is really THE gateway board game for a lot of folks and has pulled a lot of people into the hobby. It really deserves a better implementation.

I own the iPhone game and have been patiently waiting for the iPad version - hoping for some enhancements like online multiplayer. Sadly... after such a long wait this version is just a larger version of the iPhone version.

While I thought Catan for iPhone was "OK" on release many other boardgames have come since and blown USM's implementation out of the water. Games like Small World, Carcassonne and Kingsburg look and feel so much better (and deserve our dollars more than this abomination).

Catan looks like it was designed in 1995 with the jerky animations and bitmap graphics. I love retro bit-art but this games art just comes off as dated and a bit lazy. I even spoke with someone via PM about how distracting the animations of the water can be while playing. To me, at times, it feels like I am playing a game of Catan surrounded by a Moire pattern. The dev responded that "no one had ever complained about them". So… maybe it is just me.

In my opinion, USM needs to go back to the drawing board and redesign the entire she-bang. They are so slow at updating the existing title that I would suggest a Universal binary simply on the fact that if they have two code bases we may never see multi-player, or bug fixes, or the expansions.

Catan needs:

1) Multiplayer
    2) Modern Graphics (See the XBLA version)
    3) Game Center Support
    4) Expansions as IAP.

Board games have become a big deal for casual iOS users, primarily thanks to the iPad, but if Catan wants to be represented and have a chance of raking in the cash they need to try harder. Playing off of the Catan name will only take them so far when people see how bad this game is implemented.

Sorry for the rant :)

2. I gave it 3 stars in appstore. If your on the fence I suggest wait and just hope for game center implementation. And then if that fails to ever materialize then just go get the real game and play it with your homies.

3. Alyindar

Alyindar Well-Known Member

A separate app instead of making the original universal? Bad form indeed...

4. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    Just to play Devil's advocate for a sec....

I know we're all disappointed that it's "just a port of the iPhone version" with HD graphics, but the iPhone version has over 3,000 reviews in the App Store with an average rating of 4.5 stars. Is this one really that bad?

If someone has neither version, is this still a bad pick-up?

I'm asking as a proud BoardGameGeek member of many years who has never played any version of Catan.

Thanks for any opinions! :)

5. ratsinheat

ratsinheat Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    i dont give a shit unless there is online play.

6. zeuhl

zeuhl Member

Oct 3, 2010
    In addition to the limited multiplayer, unimproved interface and bad graphics and animations, what is very disappointing is the lack of additional game modes. Catan the Seafarers with the seafarer expansion and some game scenarios was released a long time ago on DS and over a month ago on mobile devices. That the Ipad version doesn't at least include this is an insult. This game was announced a long time ago and I would have expected them to augment and polish it a lot more than they have.

7. exozet_games

exozet_games Active Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you all know that we read all your feedback about Catan HD and Catan for iPhone. The first expansion "The Seafarers" featuring several challenging new scenarios will be out soon and there are more updates planned for the near future. Please stay tuned.

Best regards
    Marc

8. ratsinheat

Aug 30, 2010
    awesome. i hope there is online play. surely you understand online play is a must in today's gaming world.

9. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I beg to differ. For a large segment of the gaming population online play is a complete non-issue. Some people love it, other's (like me) couldn't care less.

Of the top ten games for the iPhone right now, only one offers online multiplayer.

Of the top ten games for the iPad right now, only one offers a limited form of online multiplayer.

Online multiplayer is most certainly not a "must" in today's gaming world on the iDevices.

10. holymadness

holymadness Active Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Considering board games are by definition multiplayer only, as well as the well-documented shortcomings of the AI in Catan, that's a pretty obtuse objection.

11. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    #31 mlkaufman, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
    Its not an objection to the feature being added (I certainly don't mind Multiplayer, I just won't use it), I just would rather they concentrate on making the AI better and adding some of the expansions.

The point of my post was that online multiplayer is not the be-all and end-all that some people make it out to be.

12. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I agree 100% to both postings!

13. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    +1 And that worth for all games not only board games.

14. ratsinheat

Aug 30, 2010
    yeah, i think multiplayer games require online play.

15. exozet_games

exozet_games Active Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Btw there will also be a beta for the Seafarers expansion in a few days...

16. ratsinheat

Aug 30, 2010
    nice. i totally want in.

17. mroddjob

mroddjob New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hi, has the beta testing started? i'd love to take part. Is it for the ipad or iphone version?

18. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I would love to join in! I love catan, the most played board game during holidays with friends and now on the iPad!

19. holymadness

holymadness Active Member

Sep 17, 2010
    I hope you got paid for that embarrassing display.

20. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    #40 FPE, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
    Nope. It is the truth. While I was living in the Netherlands, every time I would go skiing they (my Dutch friends) would take the game out. And today ... since I live somewhere else and my wife hates the game .... I am happy I can play with it on the ipad.