iPad 4th generation discussion thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Infernado, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    If you buy a top of the line PC you will be running games for years with no problems and if worst comes to the worst just stick in some new cards or turn the settings down.

All this is going to do in my opinion is make Apple trickle feed even more and do more of their usual old device doesn't get this software feature. I suspect the sole reason the iPad mini got such a poor screen is so they have something to spin for the next one.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    That's probably true.

3. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Who asked you to justify anything? You stated the ipad 4 hardware blows the vita out of the water, i merely gave you some context as to why that isn't necessarily true/matters. For me, when IOS games try to replicate the console experience, the results are largely shit. I hate touch controls for fps / fighters. If you're expecting 360/ps3 quality on the ipad 4 i think you'll be sorely disappointed, but good luck to you.

On Nova 3... I completed that on my ipad 2 with no issues... If that pushed it to the limit then it certainly didn't struggle. And that was one game! I've downloaded nothing my ipad 2 can't run just fine... So i dunno...

4. Well, I keep hearing that phrase that says that it takes developers about a year to start taking full advantage of the new tech, so by that time comes it will be for the ipad 5.

But I think right now, the developers will be focused on the ipad mini, so games will actually be focused on the a5, not a6. I'm so glad the ipad mini is coming out with an a5 though, otherwise, my new ipad might well might have well gone extinct. But with the ipad mini out there, I really don't see many developers pushing the limits right now, they can not risk too many one star reviews from ipad mini and new ipad owners.

5. Good, 7 is my lucky number, so ipad 7 it will be. :p

I agree with you, noticed you like 2s though, your lucky number?

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well this is the first time the ipad update cycle was so short but this, to me was obvious to get their product refreshs in line for the holiday season and slow down interest of people into other alternatives.

speaking out like this happens all the time is odd at best

the ipod touch wasnt even refreshed till this year and people moaned.. now a product gets a faster refresh and people still moan.. its silly.

also i hope you dont throw away your apple hardware.. one of the biggest benefit to all other tech out there is that all apple hardware retain their value for quite some time.. try to sell some windows laptop or an android phone after a year and see what you get, youd be surprised..

so if anyone feels the need to sell their ipad3 they get good money for it.

as for the current pc situation that soley the consoles showing their importance.
    with being abke to develope for all platforms consoles are usualy the lead platform and therefor a pc has no problem at all to run the latest games since they are mostly technically outdated as the consoles are.

it will be a couple years till its feasible to port a direct console game to tablets and that will be the point where hardware upgrades wont matter much anymore since the power avaiable is not used anyway..

but then i would never consider a tablet a hardcore gaming platform that could even rival the pc or consoles.. its a different beast with a different audience.

well im buying a 4th gen (ofcourse) but i also know this one will see most use like the ipad2 compared to the 3rd gen and thats also a reason why i think the ipad mini will do just finebecause the power it offers is more than enough for the screen (imho)

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #67 JBRUU, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    N3 with retina off on my ipad 3 still suffers front the occasional stutter and framerate drop. When more than 15 enemies are onscreen the framerate decreases noticeably. That is abominable to me. Seeing as how the a5x is significantly more powerful than the a5 when not phishing retina, you undoubtedly had the same issues or didn't notice them.

I happen to like console experoences on iOS devices. And the controls generally work well for me.

I greatly look forward to Ravensword 2, MC4, Forgotten memories, NFS most wanted, RR3, and especially vice city. I want hardware that can run these games flawlessly, plus I'm sick of stutters in telltale games, and wild blood ran like crap (not to mention it was a crap game...)

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The other possibility, though, is that they made it 1024x768 because it has iPad 2 internals, and that would not do too well with a iPad 3/4 resolution display. And secondly because if they made it some in-between resolution, then that is another resolution to have to support.

I'm not even sure if there is a 7.9" display with the resolution of the iPad 4. That would be some pixel density. So that is pretty much out, I presume. So that leaves having an in-between resolution, but they might not want there to be a 3rd iPad resolution, to go along with 2 different iPhone/iPad resolutions. With 1024x768 rez you are still getting higher pixel density than the iPad 2.

9. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Nah the resolution has nothing to do with the 163 ppi, nobody else is using screens that low anymore I bet it was hard to even find them.

I really expect the next mini they will be bragging about double the pixels.

10. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Just preordered! So excited, it will be my first iPad

11. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #71 Rip73, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    Well Apple has never launched a new line and immediately put the retina display in it.
    Why would they anyway, they do want to make money like everybody else in the real world.

And, considering they make the iPad 2 with the same screen and that they have been using the same screen on the 3GS, all the tooling and manufacturing was in place already with a long time, they had no difficulty finding them considering they are being made for Apple products with years.

Plus the ipad 4 does have to be distinguishable from the mini in something other than screen size and chip. Putting a retina display on the mini would completely cannibalise iPad 4 sales.

And substantially increase the cost of the mini considering it is the least profitable device that they sell.

12. gilly78228

gilly78228 Active Member

May 22, 2011
    I don't think I'll be getting the newer ipad. I actually just bought the ipad 3 a month and half ago, so hearing about the newer model bummed me out a little, but I'm happy with what I have. I guess one thing sort of eased the pain though, I ordered the ipad 3 from an online retail store, I receive it, then the following day there was a package on my porch, turns out fedex sent me another ipad 3. I checked both packing slips, and they were identical, even had the same tracking number, its been in my closet still sealed, maybe I can sell it on ebay, and sell a few other items, and get the newer ipad. its possible I guess.

13. Two new ipads in the hand is worth more than one newer ipad in the bush.

I'd sell one new ipad now, use the other new ipad for now, when the ipad 5 comes out, sell the other new ipad. You will have enough money for the ipad 5 and then some. I really don't think you are going to miss all that much not having a newer ipad. About 95% or more of the apps will run fine on it. And the newer ipad probably will too have some flaws too.

Just too bad the newer ipad wasn't what apple released when the new ipad came out. What a shame. Apple, I wanna spank you.

14. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I actually have a functional question about the iPad 4th gen.

Keeping in mind that we don't have Apple stores here in NZ, next week I'm going to rock into a shop and ask for the latest iPad. How do I make sure that the box they hand me is the one I want and not the 3rd generation one?

15. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Easy. If it doesn't have a lightening port then it isn't 4th gen.

16. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Why is the iPad 3 not on the website? On the UK website if you go on comparison of devices it has iPad mini, iPad 2, and iPad with retina display? Doesn't really make sense?

17. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    They just call it iPad now. Seems they want to get rid of numbering the iPads. Same in the Swedish Apple store, but if you look at the specs on the iPad it's a A6X quad core, which is the newest iPad.

18. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #78 Rip73, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
    Just check the what's in the box description on the back of the box.
    If it says lightning to USB cable, you're good to go.
    And wait until the 2nd. It won't be in any store (officially) until then.
    If any shop sells you an iPad 3 anyway when you're looking for the iPad 4, you're legally entitled to return it if they have misrepresented the product to you.
    iPad 3 is no longer in production so it'll only be listed in refurbished section to sell the rest of stock they have.
    The bigger iPads official name is now iPad with retina to distinguish it from iPad 2 and iPad mini.

19. I have one bit of advice. Don't tell them you want to buy a new ipad... :p

20. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That's why I used the word latest. :p

And I know it releases on the 2nd, that's when I meant I would go.

Good point about the lightning connector though, that's a pretty defining feature. I was only wondering because they got rid of the numerical naming, so I wasn't sure how they'd differentiate the boxes. They both can't say "iPad", can they?