Universal Crossword Dungeon (by Nolithius)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Oct 23, 2012.

1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Why do you like this? I mean I wanna get it, but this week has been really busy with apps.

2. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    I just have this strange obsession with quirky RPG puzzle combo's ever since Puzzle Quest first got released. The game is a bit lacking in terms of the amount of clues for the crosswords at the moment, but the dev already promises extra content in that regard.

3. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    @Nolithius: If you don't mind me asking, what fonts did you use? For the main logo and the class selection menus?

Thanks!

4. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    This is actually the same bug as the Ranger's ranged attack killing the monster on the exit tile, then not being able to descend. Fixed, will be out in next update.

Added to list of enhancements, thanks!

I've started to track down this bug and it looks to be a problem with an infinite loop when generating the crossword and it not being able to find a candidate. Because it happens during the level generation, it might trigger an out-of-memory exception, which closes the app, which triggers a save (unfortunately of a malformed level), which causes the "level 1 on reload" bug. :) I'm in the process of fixing these two related problems at the moment.

The big font for the logo, headings, and letters is M20_SP-RANKER, although I've hand-modified some of the letters.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your feedback and support!

5. Zaraf

Zaraf Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I'm not sure if you're able to do something like this but I find that if I'm unsure of what the word will be and am trying to guess at letters, it's a lot easier if the last letter was a consonant and now I know the next letter will be a vowel. In the options, there are only two vowels so the guess is very easy. I would suggest that if the letter is a consonant then all of the letter options should be consonants. If a vowel, then all vowels should be present in the options or something of the sort. Makes it harder to guess

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The XP bonus from the "intelligence" upgrade might be a bit overpowered. If I focus on it early, by floor 20 I'm 15 levels ahead of other builds. The xp bonus should be toned down a little, or the magic attack should be removed.

7. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Anytime Puzzle Quest is mentioned it gets my attention. Does this game feature dialog/an overland map/various non-combat things to do? The screenshots made it look like it just went battle-to-battle, but that may not be the case. Can you travel to different towns/areas/etc.?

8. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    I only mentioned Puzzle Quest since it started my obsession for RPG puzzlers. This is nowhere like it. It's more a roguelike in that you get endless randomly generated dungeons/crosswords, and you go on till you die. But hey who knows what might come in updates.

9. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    In the initial prototypes, I tried weighing the attack letters' likelihood to be selected and it actually made the game much easier! What I did not try is guaranteeing that each set of attacks have at least 3-4 vowels, to keep it nontrivial when you'd have to guess a vowel. Added to enhancement list!

On the next update I have turned down the Magic Attack XP bonus and bumped up the Dexterity Attack/Defense bonuses. Two over/underpowered stats.

Crossword Dungeon's flow is a lot more like that of a traditional dungeon crawler than it is like Puzzle Quest: you move "room" to "room" defeating monsters until you find the "stairs" down to the next level. The comparison to Puzzle Quest is more apt with regards to it being a crossword/RPG hybrid.

10. Melanosol

Melanosol Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    England
    By the way, am I missing something or are the tier 2 rogue talents pointless? Each point is worth 1 bonus damage to potion/stealth attacks, vs strength which is 1 bonus to all attacks?

11. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=162515][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162862][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162636][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162688][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162635][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=162717][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162632][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162500][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162852][​IMG][/thread] [thread=162644][​IMG][/thread]

Click on above icons
    to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]CROSSWORD DUNGEON[/size]
    is a nominee for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    24/10/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to guess the correct letter to instantly dispatch the monster in a complex dungeon?

[size=+3][thread=162877]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]
    - Devs cannot vote for their own games -

Poll close
    11-01-2012 at 10:08 AM

12. LeafEricsson

LeafEricsson Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Crossword follies

It's an amazing game but it needs maybe a one-level tutorial. Also jovial is not youthful!!!

13. Nolithius

Nolithius Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Game Developer
    Thanks for the support! The tutorial is coming on the second update, along with universal support, the first one will focus on bug fixes and content updates.

There was actually a poison mechanic planned at one point, which I scaled down, to give more flavor to the Envenom skill; but to answer your question more directly, they are not entirely pointless, as they count towards the Skill Levels requirement for the next level.

I have some plans to flesh out the game more after the first few more technically-driven updates to include equipment (yay loot!), at which point some of the less useful skills, like these, will become item abilities.

14. Javieroth

Javieroth New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Please include foreign dictionary in other langs, by example spanish.

If you need betatester for spanish version and help, maybe can help you. ;-)

15. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Is there an update coming soon that turns this beta into a "real" game?
    That would be great.

16. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I second that curiosity. I really enjoy the game but am holding off to give it another go until the update.

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Any word on an update? It's been over a month since the initial release :(

18. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    really hoping this gets some love soon.

19. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Wahoo! Update is out. It was a long time coming but it looks thorough.

Downloading now, I'll try to share out some impressions later.

Thanks nothelius. I know you are a one man team and it takes a lot of work to track down bugs and what not. Hope this helps your game get the love it deserves.

20. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Sweet update! Thank you sir!