iPhone Baldur's Gate Enhance Edition for iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Trayray, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Why is everyone so negative.... let's keep it positive.. :)
    There is no news on the site that it has been delayed.. Last time they fast with announcing the delay for 2-3 more months... so there is hope, since there has no such message....
    Soooo.....

Almost 7 days left :D :D

2. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Well, we can't be sure, but I think they've thought it through and submitted the game already, or is very close to do it.

I will be disappointed, of course, like we'll all be, if BG won't be released on iOS until well into December, but I've pre-ordered the game for PC too, so I'll keep myself busy with that in the mean time.

Here's to hoping it'll make it onto iOS in November. :)

3. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    At the forums at Baldursgate.com we've been anticipating a promised trailer and new screenshots for weeks now.
    Today we finally got some exiting news.
    Here's a quote from one of the developers:

Phillip Daigle

12:17AM

For those curious, here's the skinny: I have a batch of new media and video ready to go public, but I'm going to wait until pre-loading begins this week to release it at the same time. I know you guys want it right away, but unfortunately you'll need to wait just a tiny bit longer.

Regarding pre-loading, you'll be getting an email from Beamdog when it goes live in addition to an update here on the forums and on baldursgate.com. Expect it within 48 hours.

I can't wait!

4. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    oh, forgot to mention....
    from reading the article from a few posts back and on their forum,
    If I am right, it said something about that they are working on an Update 1 already.. so I am asuming it's out the door ;)

5. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I assume you're talking about DLC's?
    A very knowledgeable member on the official forums have stated that the previously shrouded in rumor, the famous "Y Adventure" will be released as DLC.

It's supposed to be a fairly lengthy adventure expanding on the Bhall story.
    I'm very exited about this!

There was an "X Adventure". That became "The Black Pits", which is shipped with the game on release day.
    It's a stand alone adventure, where you either create a new party just for that, or import your in-game party to play.
    It's tailor made for co-op multiplayer, but can be enjoyed solo too.

6. riggysmalls

riggysmalls Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Oregon
    So awesome! I cannot wait for the x-platform multiplayer as ill have it on my ipad and my friend will have it on his pc

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Good news about the new UI then! I'm quite excited about that. Obviously I wasn't expecting the gameplay assets to be redone in HD, but as long as the pixels are sharp and not just blown up by a random percentage that fuzzes them out, I'll be happy. When I say "retina support" I really just mean crisp edges and lines. If an 8-bit game scales up perfectly to the dimensions of the new iPad I consider that retina support.

8. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Agreed. No filtering please!

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #269 Pitta, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    Brand new trailer.
    Game is 1.8Gb on PC.

10. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yeah, it's a great trailer!
    I've pre-loaded the game myself, so I'm ready to rock & roll on the 28'th. :D

If you're interested in reading the new manuals, look no further:
    http://www.baldursgate.com/manuals.en.html

11. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Pure unadulterated awesomeness. Here's hoping the iPad version ships on the 28th as well!

12. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Unfortunately, according to Trent Oster's twitter, they've had some recent crash issues with iPad 1, so they had to re-submit to Apple yesterday.

I don't know if one week is enough to get through the approval process, but I sure hope it'll make it.

13. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Given the significance of the game, it's possible they may be able to get apple to prioritize it. Even if it's one week later though, I can wait. :)

14. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I'm a bit worried though. The approval process is usually much longer leading up to the big Hollidays, and Hollidays don't come much bigger than Christmas...

I'm gonna play it on my pc too, but what I'm really looking forward to is playing BG on my iPad.

15. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    And here we have a new interview with Trent Oster, which talks specifically about the touchscreen versions of BG and what changes were made to facilitate ease of gameplay.

The most relevant piece of info from the interview:

OF: What can we expect from the iPad edition from a UI standpoint? How do the enhancements to the game work into the iPad version?

Oster: The iPad UI had a few additional buttons, such as a hint button to help you see things you can interact with and a quicksave button to help you save the game often – which you should really do. We’ve also added a help screen which shows all the main UI buttons and what actions they perform. We re-worked the PC interface to obey touch interface rules, making the scroll bars touch scroll, the text touch scroll and bounce back, we changed the inspect item from a right click to a touch hold action. Touching the main screen sets the location for a character to walk to. Touch dragging moves the screen. After a few touches, the control becomes very intuitive on the Tablets.

16. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    @Appletini
    Yeah, it's an excellent interview.

There have been quite a few in the last month. Maybe a post with links to all of them is an idea?
    I'll look into that...

17. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #277 Bytebrain, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  18. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Has anyone played the game as an evil character? I never did. I was reading one of the interviews, and it briefly talked about this, making it sound like the progression toward the end changes quite a bit. How much is different if you play evil?

19. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #280 Bytebrain, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    New and very, very interesting interview where the journalist ask questions the other interviewers missed.

Go here.

I will add this to my previous post.