Support our Sponsors:
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-25-2013, 04:46 AM
Andre Andre is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,747
Default

Minecraft is the best.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-25-2013, 05:14 PM
aikavari aikavari is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 280
Default

So I was starting my JJX run when the best free games article popped out and it mentioned The Blockheads. How would you rate that one?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-26-2013, 09:09 AM
nightc1 nightc1 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: AL
Posts: 3,914
Default

Honestly I wouldn't bother much with The Blockheads. It's freemium for one so you'll constantly run into limits of what you can do without sinking unlimited amounts of money in.

The best crafting game is the PC version of Minecraft. The closest thing to that on iOS is Survivalcraft. First off the world is not limited to some tiny square like Minecraft PE. Also unlike MCPE there are actual caves to explore and stuff. The expansions on it just keep getting better with more circuitry for making trap doors, drawbridges, and other stuff that it allows for an unparalleled level of creativity to anything in the genre (2d or 3d) on iOS. Like Eden World Builder there's also the ability to share worlds online. One of the more original features though is being able to download texture packs and stuff.

It's strange too, I remember when they were adding the ability to ride horses in PC Minecraft. My oldest son was telling me about that and I had to point out that I could already do that in Survivalcraft on my iphone. It just kind of boggles the mind how much history is behind Survivalcraft before it even came to iOS. It's got it's own sort of more realistic take on survival yet still has a touch of the supernatural stuff to add that extra tension in the game.

As a note I own, Minecraft PE, Survivalcraft, Eden World Builder, Junk Jack, Junk Jack X, Terraria, and countless other similar (though lower quality) games. I've played a lot in this genre because it's one of my favorites.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-26-2013, 03:15 PM
aikavari aikavari is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Honestly I wouldn't bother much with The Blockheads. It's freemium for one so you'll constantly run into limits of what you can do without sinking unlimited amounts of money in.

The best crafting game is the PC version of Minecraft. The closest thing to that on iOS is Survivalcraft. First off the world is not limited to some tiny square like Minecraft PE. Also unlike MCPE there are actual caves to explore and stuff. The expansions on it just keep getting better with more circuitry for making trap doors, drawbridges, and other stuff that it allows for an unparalleled level of creativity to anything in the genre (2d or 3d) on iOS. Like Eden World Builder there's also the ability to share worlds online. One of the more original features though is being able to download texture packs and stuff.

It's strange too, I remember when they were adding the ability to ride horses in PC Minecraft. My oldest son was telling me about that and I had to point out that I could already do that in Survivalcraft on my iphone. It just kind of boggles the mind how much history is behind Survivalcraft before it even came to iOS. It's got it's own sort of more realistic take on survival yet still has a touch of the supernatural stuff to add that extra tension in the game.

As a note I own, Minecraft PE, Survivalcraft, Eden World Builder, Junk Jack, Junk Jack X, Terraria, and countless other similar (though lower quality) games. I've played a lot in this genre because it's one of my favorites.
Thanks for the advise. I do have that well. We're you able to see the latest Minecraft version? I believe it made a lot of big strides in the past 6 months. Don't know how it compares to Survivalcraft right now.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Mene Mene is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,702
Default

If we were talking PC then I'd totally recommend Minecraft but as we are talking iOS and pocket Minecraft sucks, then my recommendation would be for Junk Jack X. Awesome game.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-26-2013, 08:49 PM
aikavari aikavari is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 280
Default

I'd really like to play something for the long haul... How's the world size of each of the four? Will I ever run out of resources forcing me to restart?

Addendum: so I fired up all four of them and they all played very similarly.

- I liked the graphics of MCPE best, don't know why, simple and functional. I like how crafting is simple as well. After a short walk, I hit an invisible wall... I wonder if it's just that I coincidentally spawned near an edge or if the world really is that small.

- Survivalcraft is really similar to MCPE though even after playing for a while, I never hit any invisible walls. Don't care for graphics much though and I really need a guide for all the crafting recipes... :-(

- Terraria was fun. I played it a while back up until the big eye boss. Never beat him then downloaded a new game and forgot about it. Don't know how I feel about the smaller boxes and zoom though I do like the indestructible tools. I do feel the inclination towards the 3d games though.

- Junk Jack X's graphics is way better than Terraria and I like how gameplay is virtual infinite given the option to create new worlds and moving stuff around.

Right now I'm thinking MCPE but I'm concerned about the world size. Has that ever been an issue to anyone?

Last edited by aikavari; 12-26-2013 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-27-2013, 03:36 AM
dariusjr98 dariusjr98 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A state in a country in a continent in the world
Posts: 950
Send a message via Skype™ to dariusjr98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikavari View Post
I'd really like to play something for the long haul... How's the world size of each of the four? Will I ever run out of resources forcing me to restart?

Addendum: so I fired up all four of them and they all played very similarly.

- I liked the graphics of MCPE best, don't know why, simple and functional. I like how crafting is simple as well. After a short walk, I hit an invisible wall... I wonder if it's just that I coincidentally spawned near an edge or if the world really is that small.

- Survivalcraft is really similar to MCPE though even after playing for a while, I never hit any invisible walls. Don't care for graphics much though and I really need a guide for all the crafting recipes... :-(

- Terraria was fun. I played it a while back up until the big eye boss. Never beat him then downloaded a new game and forgot about it. Don't know how I feel about the smaller boxes and zoom though I do like the indestructible tools. I do feel the inclination towards the 3d games though.

- Junk Jack X's graphics is way better than Terraria and I like how gameplay is virtual infinite given the option to create new worlds and moving stuff around.

Right now I'm thinking MCPE but I'm concerned about the world size. Has that ever been an issue to anyone?
Don't get Minecraft PE, it's not really fun, and the worlds are too small.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-27-2013, 09:08 AM
aikavari aikavari is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusjr98 View Post
Don't get Minecraft PE, it's not really fun, and the worlds are too small.
I already own all 4 but never got into them... Games backlog, don't ask... Played MCPE a fair bit today. Loved the game though I'm wondering how much you can really do in it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-28-2013, 12:01 AM
dariusjr98 dariusjr98 is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A state in a country in a continent in the world
Posts: 950
Send a message via Skype™ to dariusjr98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikavari View Post
I already own all 4 but never got into them... Games backlog, don't ask... Played MCPE a fair bit today. Loved the game though I'm wondering how much you can really do in it.
When I first got MCPE I also thought it was really fun. But that fun goes away after about 3 hours.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-29-2013, 10:45 AM
aikavari aikavari is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 280
Default

Ok, so I somehow ended up playing survivalcraft. Build my self a cozy little stone brick house and I'm doing quite well. The only problem is I'm finding that I'm running out of resources. I litterally cleared the whole area around me of anything edible and have a horrendous amount of wolves, bears and lions now stalking me outside my house?! Is this normal? Can I still salvage my house or do I have to move? :-(
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent