Charlie and the Apple Factory, just watch it

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Paradiso, Mar 28, 2011.

1. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    haha. lol. That was great! :D

2. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

College Humor makes some of the best videos out there. This one just made me crack up more than usual :)

3. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

Since the announcement of the first iPad I have really really hated Jobs' insistence on using the word "magical" to describe it. Every time a new product is announced I read the engadget liveblog even when they stream the presentation live because I really can't stand to listen to him go on about how awesome, incredible and magical the products are.

4. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Like he says in the video, it's all about showmanship. Say what you will about Jobs and Apple, but no one can deny they have some marketing geniuses over there in Cupertino.

5. Spamcan

They do have excellent marketing and one of the best industrial design teams on the planet but I could still do without the self grandeur and flowery language.

"The new iPhone 5, it's a beautiful groundbreaking bombastic magical game changer reinventing the industry yet again! It's like a unicorn eating lucky charms out of the hand of Merlin while the Gods weep with joy."

6. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    #7 ArcheAngel, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
    Technology is magical

Abracadabra means from nothing, something

I think technology does just that from an evolutionary standpoint.

An iPad 5 years ago was rumor, an efficient touchscreen phone was even more so 10 years ago...now we have them but if you had any of theses devices at the turn of the century they would be considered magical.

But apple does really lay it on a bit thick when advertising, but then again they are pretty much the ones that do it right & the others build on it. Apple hardly copies anyone unless they do it better.

7. Spamcan

#8 Spamcan, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

I'm not sure if I necessarily agree with your assessment through, the idea that a "pocket computer" would eventually be a mainstream product has been around almost as long as the personal computer. We've been heading in this direction for a long time, I still own my original Palm III. That product has a lot in common with the iPhone, arguably the springboard UI is derivative of the Palm's UI and the hardware was massively underpowered but the OS was designed for it so it was super speedy much like the iPhone. The technology has gotten better, cheaper and faster but overall the iPhone is still just another PDA with internet access and not much has changed other then terminology and popularity. Yes, technology has moved forward a lot in the past decade but I hardly think an iPhone would be considered magical to someone a decade ago. It's the culmination of what most of us expected was coming and thinking back to the late '90s it's more shocking that it's coming from Apple then it is that it exists.

Also, check this out if you haven't seen it. Some really interesting ideas from 1988 on where we'd be technologically in 2000.
    Paleo-Future Blog "Apple's Project 2000"

8. sixthturn

sixthturn Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2011
    The technology has gotten better, cheaper and faster but overall the iPhone is still just another PDA with internet access and not much has changed other then terminology and popularity.

9. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Good video!!!

That's what I think is magical...the human interest for creating something from nothing.

Of course things always become more efficient but to achieve the working function in the first place is what is magical.

Apple being one of the leaders in that field of study, production, or "magic"

10. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Steve jobs was really creepy in that video, like a paedophile. Apart from that, it was pretty funny.

11. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
  12. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I love google closed captioning.

Attached Files:

13. Spamcan

Willy Wonka always struck me as a creepy paedophile type. His workers are all little people, he invites children into his magical candy factory and his entire fortune went into creating an insane fantasy to hold onto his childhood. He's like a slightly creepy Michael Jackson.

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah that's true. His umpa lumpas are f*cking creepy too. They look like over-tanned midget clowns.

[​IMG]

15. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
  16. Spamcan

It's not their fault Lumpaland is the second largest city in New Jersey.