Universal Summoner Wars (Plaid Hat Games + Playdek)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vernimator, Jul 4, 2012.

1. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    thanks.
    I though I had to highlight the cards not drag and drop in place

2. Strangiato

Strangiato Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2011
    There's no truth to this. The AI feeds its decisions to the game simulation in the same way that a human does and then the same random number generator is used.

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    You must be correct, but from now on I'm logging Fury rolls for my TO games, offline and online :)

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Just been trying to figure the game out with FK. See you guys online soon when i get the hang of things. LOL.

5. rekirtS

rekirtS Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2011
    I use Mal, Jacob, and Gibbs.

3 damage range is great late game.
    Mal at 4 power always is better than Kalon IMO. Gibbs plus sera is great.

6. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I was wondering about Grubs too, since he's such a great fit to the Vanguards. His end of turn movement also allows use of summoners who have high/mid attack but low health, like Ret-Talus or Vlox. I still want to keep Archangel in the build because his Greater Flight ability can do some real damage to low health summoners.

7. skarsnik

skarsnik Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Singapore
    Finally took the plunge this weekend after practicing with the AI. Played with a lot of the regular ascension folks (sapphire-neo has been owning me as usual) - this is easily my favourite game from Playdek (scaled back on ascension, and stopped altogether on Nightfall)!

Add me on GC and let's play some more!

8. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    That last win was just pure luck! I was dead for all money. You should be careful about your opponent's walls, block summoning spots on your side of the board. Also, never junk Legions of the Dead for magic, getting a meat shield around Ret-Talus for 3 magic is far too important.

I'm still learning too, but I seem to have a handle on FK, not so much on any other faction. I'm beginning to understand how the Vanguard economy works. Still not sure on how to efficiently start out with CG though and Cloaks can be a pain with their low hitting power. I'm thinking of adding a heavy Merc champion just to have something that can hit a summoner late in the game.

9. rekirtS

rekirtS Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2011
    VG economy: Dump everything you're not using that turn (save maybe a summoning surge) until you can summon your champions. Stick Sera/Priest behind them and win lategame.

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wow... Talk about ridiculous luck. Two times in a row my Force Summoned Skhull attacks Prince Elien and misses on both turns. That's 6 dice coming up with nothing. Ugh.

Fortunately my hand had a Dark Sacrifice and Legions so I still took out Elien in the next 2 turns.

11. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Well, what you're not using that turn is the whole point of understanding the economy. For FK I usually dump everything other than my Champions and Events every turn. I almost never summon a Common unit next to a wall. That's a very simple thing to understand, but VG's events unit costs make things a little more complicated.

Heh those kind of rolls can be hugely frustrating, especially in a close showdown, but it's easy to forget all those times when the opponent rolls snake eyes ;) (and no, I'm not going to apply that to AI's rolls before I complete my Fury rolls log)

12. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    SW is an app for who know exactly how to play and want to play in multi.
    Is so brutal for the newbie like me :(
    Bur Playdek have to understand that only a very little portion of the potential customer of the app know SW and have to give an opportunity to newbie like me to enjoy the game.
    Playdek have made the same error with Nightfall: little tutorial and then brutal game with a full AI and full deck.
    Platdek must introduce a set of match with simplified AI and minimal deck like the tower match of Kard Combat and must introduce a sort of reward to beginner player.
    They can introduce this also via IAP, i would very happy to purchase a sort of campaign that introduce me to the game and the various deck.
    Like this SW make me run away screaming in terror, like Nightfall :(

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #513 Exact-Psience, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    I know what you mean as im new to the world of SW as well, but im not about to give up on this game. Why?

The game rules are very easy to understand, the card text and effects are very easy to follow.

The problem is not about how to play the game, but rather how to play the game RIGHT.

Knowing that, starting out will boil down to choosing a faction, learning its strategies, and playing the game to know the rest of it as one goes along.

14. skarsnik

skarsnik Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Singapore
    #514 skarsnik, Jul 9, 2012
    iCloud Syncing

Anyone has their customised decks synced up between devices?

Doesn't seem to be working for me - so I can only accept games and rematches back home when I play on my ipad :(

Edit: Laleya's (PE champion) text has a typo - she should get a buff if attacking a unit adjacent to her, rather than 'it's attack value'.

15. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hi Gabriel,

I can empathize with your frustrations - it might be daunting at first, especially if you don't have a past experience with similar games. I'd say that it is very similar to chess, and that is the best comparison I can draw here.

My best advice would be for you to:
    - Think defensively first, and plan your attacks decisively. Don't go attacking just for the sake of attacking. After all, if you die, you're just giving your opponent free magic points - which they will then use to summon more troops.
    - There is only a handful of cards you really need to know in each faction, so my suggestion would be for you to pick one of them, and just play with them until you know them by heart. You'll start to know their advantages and their weaknesses. I like the Phoenix elves a bit, so far, because I have played a lot with them. I kind of know what I need to do, what I can do, and how to exploit some strategies. I also know that my summoner can be crushed in a single play if I'm not paying attention (I'm looking at you, Sapphire_Neo :p). So yes, play with one of the factions until you're comfortable.
    - As someone said in the past, don't be afraid to discard cards to build magic. You have like several common units in your deck, so the first few times, if I do have a couple in the board, I'll just discard them to build magic. There's a high probability that the next hand will also bring a few more of them, with the difference that you can summon them then because you'll have magic. With events, it's the same - usually there's no big point with hanging to a card you will not be able to use in a few turns, so you might be better off discarding it.
    - Killing one opponent's unit gives you magic. Letting them kill you is giving them magic.
    - Use walls close to the opponent's side of the map to quickly summon one of your units there and move it close to their summoner.
    - Play, try, and have fun.

If you haven't made up your mind, I'll recommend you start with the Phoenix Elves - from my experience they are easy to pick up, they have a good accuracy ratio, the main drawback is that the summoner is weak.

I'm currently playing them - the only exception is a battle against Sapphire_Neo which I'm playing with the Cloaks, and I have this feeling I'm going to be crushed by his Vanguards... I have to plan ahead what I'm going to do with him :)

Cheers,
    Paulo

16. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Hey, would you look at that, a front page post about Llamasoft's Super Ox Wars they very day it's released! I've been wondering, maybe they didn't post anything about Summoner Wars because Eli thinks that the 'the card art is laughably terrible', the game is 'entirely too random' and that 'it can be difficult finding people to play with, especially people of equal skill'.

17. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    #517 CoreyB, Jul 9, 2012
    I've lost a lot of respect for touch arcade. There are few games in the app store with more production value than SW. I have no problem with them doing full reviews on the, IMO, boring simple games they choose. But to ignore games like this and Le Havre really does a disservice to iOS gaming. This has been one on the best couple months for quality iOS game releases. The only thing I use touch arcade for now it the forum where you can actually find news about iOS games.

18. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    #518 FPE, Jul 9, 2012
    A campaign would be nice.
    Anyhow, I am new to SW and now I have not lost against the ai for a while. No I am not good at it. I feel that every faction is different and suits a different play. I have never defeated the AI with the elves. I never lost with the orcs! I will now explore all decks to see whch one suits me best and focus on that for a while.

Did you try all factions? I have the feeling you might just be using a faction that suits a playing style that is different from yours.

19. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I'm constantly researching and editing decks between my iPhone and iPad. I have one custom for every faction. The syncing isn't instant since its through iCloud. Just go to settings and force an iCloud sync otherwise you have to wait until your devices do it automatically.

Laleya's text is correct, it's just worded oddly. The text "it's attack value" refers to Laleya's attack and not the adjacent unit. Changing "it" to "her" would definitely clear up any confusion

20. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    This game have been nominated for the TouchArcade Game of the Week, so if its your pick of the week, vote for it HERE
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​