Is the iPhone a potential gaming device?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Detzlink, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Detzlink

Detzlink Member

Mar 22, 2009
    We all have seen how more and more big companies are turning their eyes to the iPhone but does it has potential for gaming?

I think that its main advantage is the app store, which allows developers to submit games more casually and allows the users to download them easily, cheap and everywhere; and its portability cuz it isn't intended for gaming, so you have your music, videos, internet, mails, etc. so it is much more portable.

But the lack of two or four top buttons (RT, RB or R1, L1 etc.) (a must have for shooters) and other hardware capabilities make it not as powerful as other devices, and of course its lack of well known titles.

It is perfect for old school games, i mean, rogue on my iPod... epic

What do you guys think?

2. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    It's not a potential gaming device. It already is a gaming device. Debate over. Win.

3. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    If you're only play rogue, you are seriously missing out...

4. Morty

Morty Active Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Wut?

5. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    you must've just gotten your iPhone like yesterday..:rolleyes:

first thing that came to my mind too

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    What they said.

By the way, the truly civilized way to play a shooter (especially the first person kind) is with a mouse button, not an R1 ;).

7. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Well...what can I say that hasn't already been said? :rolleyes:

8. Chrono Gear

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    Agreed. FPS was born on the PC and perfected there. Console shooters work well given the limitations (if you will) of the controller, but mouse/keyboard will pwn the controller every time.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I don't know how busy you are but to take 5 seconds to read the 10 words below the toucharcade logo at the top of your screen..sigh.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I agree, but I'm sure someone will come up with an (unconvincing) argument why console shooters are better. My point is that no platform has an uncontested claim to having "proper" controls for gaming.

11. Morty

Morty Active Member

Dec 29, 2009
    *fixed. ;-)

12. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    iPhone is a gaming device. It has some great games, that are not so old school. Games like nova and eliminate prove you don't need top buttons for a shooter. In fact, I think iPhone fps controls are better than a lit of console controls. Once iPhone is a more accepted gaming device, I think we might see some bigger titles. Let's hope.

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm glad this was the first thread I read tonight. It's going to be a good night. Since pretty much everyone has said what I was going to say, I'll just pick my favorite.

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    honored, sir.

15. chedita

chedita Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Professional ipod gamer
    where you live
    This one is my favorite.

16. Chrono Gear

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    In the last press conference I recall (the 9/9/09 one-couldn't forget that date lol) didn't apple say that the ipod had something like 10s of thousands of games for the platform? The only one that could possibly have more would be PC right? If the sheer volume of games isn't enough to consider it a gaming device then what would it take??

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    once again, honored.

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Seriously, how are you on a website called TouchArcade asking if there will be gaming? It's like Googling "will the internet ever catch on?" :p

Haha, poor OP. We're just giving you a hard time. I actually re-read your post, and I think I understand what you were getting at. Basically, as noted numerous times by spiffyone, iPhones aren't a dedicated gaming device. PSP, DS are. Therefore, you can't really directly compare them in a lot of ways. I think the OP was asking will Apple ever come out with a dedicated "games first" type device.

In my opinion, no. First off, the lines between the two are blurring all the time. PSP's and DS's want to add in a lot of extra functionality besides games. iPhone's have all that extra functionality already, and in addition can play games. It does pretty much everything very well. Apple wouldn't need to release a device with gaming being the only function, when it can just as easily do everything great already. Why seperate the market? If anything, the other portable gaming options need to really take their extra functionality up a notch, because right now the other devices play games fantastic, but are clunky for everything else. At least in my experience, and I have a PSP and a DS.

That said, will Apple focus on gaming as a major selling point? Well, they already have. It's no secret that they tout the iPod touch as a gaming device, and games make up a huge portion of all downloads. It's amazing because Apple has successfully done what so many others have tried before, by tapping into such a broad market and bringing gaming to a slew of new customers. Similar to what the Wii did. Something I could see being a possibility is Apple releasing a version of their iPhone/iPod touch hardware that was extremely focused on gaming. Something that came with a d-pad and buttons, but also had a full touch screen and all the same functionality of the current touch. I could see that being pretty successful, if not very likely.

So there you go OP, an honest answer and not just ragging on you. Hope everyone enjoyed my unnecessarily long post. :)

19. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #19 backtothis, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
    well that was painful to read. NOW SOME1 ANSWER THIS.

in single player mode, is their only 3 chances to spend points to unlock locations? the two piles of debris and the door? does that mean the ray gun/flamethrower are only available in co-op mode?

cod:waw:zombies^^^^

20. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    Holy post hijacking Batman!

I'll bite... What? Open the door with 'help' on it for $1000 and open the ? Box for 850 or so and maybe you'll get the flamethrower.