Help pick our company name: Binary Helix or Code Lube

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by swiftest, Sep 15, 2011.

1. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    #1 swiftest, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
    We're getting close to releasing our game, but are still deciding on the company name. Technically, we're XP .COM, LLC, but we no longer have our business at that domain--long story short, we sold the domain. So it makes sense to establish a different more memorable name where people can easily contact us especially if we self-publish. The two names in consideration we have already registered .com domains for are:

Binary Helix: Sounds like a digital game company, and since we have invested in AI for our games, this seems like a natural fit considering "helix" resonates with DNA. It's also the "label" our game soundtrack is published under. Obviously inspired from one of our favorite games, let's see if anybody knows...

Code Lube: Sounds more like a software shop, less a game developer. But it seems somewhat "hip" and bleeding edge. Also irreverent, which we like to instill in our games.

We had also used PlayHQ in an earlier trailer, but will probably not use that name.

What do you think?

2. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Honestly, I don't think either is memorable (just my honest opinion, that's what you want, right?). The second name made me giggle a little lol. Sounds naughty :D but if I had to pick between the two, I'd go with the first. Then I'd probably change my mind later and go with Code Lube haha!

3. GSnyder

GSnyder Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Code Lube is a sexual and somewhat off-putting image. I wouldn't consider that one...

4. swiftest

May 18, 2009
    That occurred to me, too, but lube is also a popular term used in car maintenance and oil changes (Jiffy Lube). In the context of software, it can mean tools that make coding simpler. Point noted, however. :D

As far as neither being memorable, if you look at other company names without the history/branding they've developed, like BioWare, it doesn't seem all that memorable either. Look at "Valve Software", that sounds really bland, but we obviously know how far they've come. And "Bethesda Softworks" sounds like a steel mill or shipyard to me. :confused:

It's interesting seeing what other indie studios call themselves, too: Team Meat (doesn't sound related to games or software at all), Amanita Design (sounds more like an appliance design firm), Twisted Pixel (lots of studios with pixel in their name), etc.

5. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Just because other companies picked mediocre names doesn't mean you have to as well. :)

Pick something that resounds with your team, and build it into a brand. Personally neither of those stands out to me, but the lube one is a most absolute no.

6. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Huh, I ain't the only one and I thought I was being a perv haha. Yeah Lube also means car oil or whatever but that ain't gonna be your first thought.

I'd stay away from using anything corporate sounding...that's of course if your team is very casual which it sounds like it is.

7. I agree with all the other posts...I'd go with Binary Helix!

8. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    I love code lube exactly for all the reasons these guys don't like it. :D.
    Come on ! Code LUBE !!!!

9. ZappedCow

ZappedCow Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Personally like Binary Helix..

10. Binary Helix sounds nerdy and legit. Much better than Code Lube.

11. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    Binary Helix remind me of Square Enix, and perhaps the Super Flash Bros's "binary helix" logo.

Not terrible names though.

12. swiftest

May 18, 2009
    So far, it looks like Binary Helix is winning. Thanks for the feedback, it reassures us that Binary Helix is a safe choice, and affirms the irreverence and shock value of Code Lube. If we went with Code Lube, it seems like it will at least get a rise out of people, and perhaps make it more memorable. :D

Here are a few other possibilities, please let us know if you like any better than BinaryHelix:

Level You (Might be too RPG sounding)
    2Massive/TooMassive (Might paint us into the MMO corner)
    Play HQ (Sounds a bit casual and our game is more niche/complex)

13. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Step by Step

Step 1.

make sure you can secure the .com website

Step 2.

check at a minimum with the USPTO if someone has the Trademark registered.

Step 3.

make sure you can register the company name in the country you live in.

Step 4.

make sure no one has a Trademark that is close or exactly the same in your country.

Step 5. Ask your mom if it is a good name. Moms' know best.

14. swiftest

May 18, 2009
    #14 swiftest, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
    Check.

Check, none are trademarks in our class. Individually, there are some trademarks involving single words in other combinations, but nothing in our exact combination.

Check. Not a problem if there is no previous trademark which there doesn't appear to be any.

Again, does not appear to be the case. There are a bunch of "massive" type trademarks, but at a glance, none appear to be in our class and none with both words. Of course, trademark holders might be a bit litigious like Bethesda with its fight against Scrolls. We're not looking for a fight, but we've held these domains for awhile, so have some history and rights to the names. Have also fought off an unscrupulous company trying to reverse domain hijack so understand well the legal issues in this arena, but that's a story for another day.

I asked mom and she told me I should've gone to medical school. Go figure. :D

15. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

Lets mix it up

Code Helix

Or

Binary Lube

16. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    I think I like Binary Helix the best.

I probably went through like 10 names over a 2 week period before coming up with Fine & Dandy Games.

Finding a decent .com these days is an almost impossible feat, and combine that with trademarks, other game/software companies that may have similar names, Twitter accounts, and perhaps similar sounding apps/games in the App Store and it can turn into a job itself.

17. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Tell me about it! Thank goodness for the random Captcha combination that gave birth to our company name, it saved us a lot of work and stress!

18. ChunkoutGames

ChunkoutGames Active Member

I think that Binary Helix is the better of the two

19. swiftest

May 18, 2009
    I like your thinking! Unfortunately, Code Helix is already registered as a dot com since '04, and Binary Lube sounds even more sexual. :eek:

Looks like it's (probably) going to be Binary Helix. Now I need to get a logo done pronto. Thanks for all the feedback!