Concerned about iPhone OS 3.0, breaking our apps...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arkanigon, Apr 3, 2009.

1. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Just installed iPhone OS 3.0 Beta 2... it is causing some problems with regards to rotation... landscape vs. portrait mode... those problems weren't there with the 2.2.1 OS.

Is this type of thing normal when a beta version is developed... should I expect that these things will resolve themselves... or should I "update" my code in antipication of the new OS...

Just to clarify, I'm building the applications with the 2.2.1 SDK... it's just that they don't work right on the iPhone 3.0 OS...

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Are you using unity? That has broke a lot of apps on 3.0 firmware so far..

3. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    No. Just the iPhone SDK. I didn't know that unity was having all those problems. Hope all this gets fixed before the full release.

4. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I've had problems with new versions of the OS that did not fix themselves. One of my Apps, Chalkboard Calculator, became a little messed up with a change in table view behavior causing some text to be truncated. It also uses double-tap gestures on TextViews which will now be broken because double-tap activates copy and paste.

5. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Hmmm... thanks. This is a bit worrisome. I guess I should submit updates for my app now, before people update the OS.

6. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I am more concerned what will happen to apple when every app in the store submits an update to 3.0 and they can't manage. Apple really needs to find a way to check apps quickly or the app store's week of doom will be when 3.0 is released.

7. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Try porting it over to the 3.0 SDK..