Any tips on MiniSquadron?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MasterChief3624, Jan 20, 2010.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I was having a lot of fun with MiniSquadron, but at the moment, I'm getting rather frustrated by it, when I'm stalling randomly and the AI seems to be getting cheaper as the game goes on. I'm on the fifth level right now, I think, but the sense of fun I was having isn't quite there anymore. It's more of a frustrating experience now, than a fun one.

Any tips on how to get better at the game?

I also found it kind of unbalanced how my friend has a few crazy good planes unlocked and whenever we play in multiplayer, he wins automatically pretty much, because the best plane I have isn't even half as good as his best one. Is there a way to even out the playing field a bit? Do I stand a chance when they pull good planes out against my less-than-mediocre ones?

2. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    1. Read the tutorial again.
    2. Practice.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Don't get shot! :p

4. mrcc

mrcc Well-Known Member

grab the hearts and the falling stars as quick as u can. dont crash.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    A more serious answer: use different planes. If you keep to one particular favorite, you will not unlock new planes very quickly. Try the bulky animal planes -- they'll get you new planes in no time.

6. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    i always found those way slow..

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    True. But they're tough, and if you survive only a few waves you can unlock several planes at once.

8. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Get the Sniper plane, that is the best for completing the levels. Also homing missile planes pwn in multiplayer

9. wahseh

wahseh Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Laser planes unlock other planes fast.

They score points like NP on most levels. However, they SUCK ass on confrontation with those planes that follow you around like a bitch and aims you constantly.

10. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I like the Panda one.

11. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    All planes stall if they fly too high. Be aware, and aim to fly in the direction you're falling as you stall.
    Experiment with different planes. When you find one you like, you can look at the list of planes and find the equivalent upgrade plane and what you need to do to unlock it.
    Tell your friend not to be a jerk.
    And yes, the Sniper plane rules. Fly just below an enemy plane, and blast all your cluster bombs right into his belly. Deadly.
    Finally, don't be like me and constantly chase the extra-life hearts straight into the ground. I'm an idiot that way.
    Good luck. Have fun.

12. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    +1

I have 2 laser fighters... I still LOVE the silverfox... it unlockd SO MANY planes :cool:

13. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    They also stall if you let go of the Joystick.

14. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Thank you for the tips. For some weird reason, I'm now getting really good at the game (for me, personally), and I've now unlocked 55/56 planes :D

Only need the Space Octopus now.

The game is a real blast now. My problem before is that I wasn't really focusing on dodging bullets. I was focusing more on bombarding the other planes with shots, completely disregarding bullets coming towards (partly because the plane I was using originally for most of my runs wasn't fast enough to dodge many bullets effectively). Another problem I had was flying in straight patterns or in circles. I wasn't switching up my flying much.

My favorite plane may very well be the Sniper now. I also love the UFO with rotational bomb cluster.

Thank you again for the help everyone :)

15. wahseh

wahseh Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Wow great to hear!

Any advice for me? I play Laser-planes for the score, but they always kill me with the planes that keep locking onto you. Laser closerange is pretty difficult!

Ya think Sniper could unlock those planes with enough score?

16. deiden26

deiden26 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    When I started using the cluster bomb planes and finally unlocked the sniper plane I thought, "this is just too good to be true."

The sniper plane is so good and so much fun to use.

17. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    So I finally unlocked the last plane (Jimbo) and I'm actually a little disappointed. I thought it was going to be just like the one in Wave 12 of Applelopolis, with the huge red laser, and generally huge size. It's cool to have a pivoting laser, but I was excited to see the Octopus, and think "Yay! I can use that when I beat the game".

But that's all right. I don't mind too much. Just thought it would be neat to rock the socks off of the AI with mah big laser, though I can understand why they didn't allow it. It would be a bit too easy to skyrocket to the top of the leaderboards probably, and also the size of the ship would be annoying, because you would be absorbing all the bullets on the screen pretty much... so maybe that wouldn't quite be so ownage-like :p

If you have unlocked the Sniper, definitely try to use it. Since I unlocked the Sniper, I unlocked the rest of the planes I needed (somewhere in the 20+ range, I think). It's definitely easy to unlock planes with it, assuming you know how to control it and have the timing of the cluster bombs down (which shouldn't be too hard).

Maybe it's just me, but I really suck with laser planes. My scores are highest when I use the Sniper still. :eek:

Good luck on getting those planes :)

Oh yeah. Absolutely :)

Really fun to use after playing many a-round with the slowest planes, too ;)

18. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Use the Sniper plane. It's the best.

19. wahseh

wahseh Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Wow thanks, I will certainly get to using Sniper plane and see how things goes!

MrFungFung, your game is seriously addictive!

20. wahseh

wahseh Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Woah, finally got to 50/56 planes

I got 2 planes I dont forsee getting, the rest just needs a full replay without dying.

That is the Knobbly Coast Wave 4 (40k Points) and Knobbly Coast Wave 5 (55k points), those are a bitch, any tips to get that high points by Wave 4 and 5?

I am thinking Sniper + Kill planes totally but most planes between Wave 1-5 are fast moving ones, or should I aim for high combo multipliers instead.

I cant use Laser planes because theres the stupid cat plane in Wave 3 that rapes me alot :p