CONFESSION: I play iPhone games a ton more than console games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bgribin, Feb 9, 2010.

1. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    So maybe it doesn't need to be a confession - especially being here and all. But some of my friends on the IGN Boards might think I'm crazy.

Do iPhone games also dominate your gaming time?

2. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    yep! havent played console in 2 months.

3. donner

donner Well-Known Member

Yes. Every month theres at least 2-3 games that put another nail in the coffin of my DS. I dont like having multiple gaming devices and my iphone is offering me a much more deversified gaming experience then my DS does.

If we only had some of the big name RPG's I'd never look back.

4. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    #4 cranker, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    I haven't been this into a gaming platform since the SNES days. I love the variety of games, the prices, the many pick up and play games that you can have tons of fun with in 5-10 minute shots, spending way too much time on TA searching for new games (almost more fun that playing games is finding a new "gem", buying new ones almost everyday, being able to download them on the spot, the TA community, openfeint, plus+....etc ...what's not to love ?

I could go on and on...........:) .........But I won't :) :) :)

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Consoles and the iPod have their pros and cons.

iPod Touch: Quirky titles at low prices. Devs talk with the consumers, and they're willing to take risks the big names won't. I can download hundreds of thousands of apps everywhere I go without cartridges or discs, and they're games in nearly every single category.

Consoles: Way better multiplayer system. I have all my friends on one list, and the service is always fast and great. Tactile controls are a plus. There's so way I'd play Bioshock with virtual buttons. Graphics are waaay better on a larger screen. Playing MW2 with friends is a blast. Games, for the most part, span over 5 hours.

Depends on my mood. There's no way I'd resort to just one method of play.

6. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Agreed. ;)

I as well play on my iPod Touch 2G far more than I play on my other consoles. I do make use of my PS3 for Blu-ray/DvD play, Wii from time to time, and my X-Box 360 is my biggest paper-weight.

DS lite/Psp had pretty much Zero trade in value at Gamestop and they weren't happy to here I washed my hands of them for an iPod Touch. Oh well. :D

7. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I only have a Wii and a PSP. I play my iPhone a tiny bit more than the PSP, and hardly play my Wii.

8. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    i have a wii, an iphone, a ds. i never play wii anymore (except when super mario galaxy 2 comes) and i never play my ds anymore (except when professor layton 3 arrives):cool:

9. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Ehh i would say i play both evenly. I have a Wii, PS2, DS and a PC. I barely play my Wii or PS2. I play my DS from time to time. Most of my gaming is on my PC since i have a pretty badass computer. The game i play the most would probably be Counter Strike Source. And for iPhone, i would just bring my iPod everywhere i go but i do use quite a bit.

10. madsoul

madsoul Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Only have an Iphone, a PSP and a shitty eee pc. Im tired of the psp and the appstore keeps growing so i play most games on the Iphone.

11. WunDaii

I'm guessing people who have a PS3 would play their PS3 a tee bit more than they do the iPhone. I would, I've played the PS3 so much (like every weekend at my cousin's) and I just forget about my iPod touch.

12. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Nope. The games I have on my other consoles I feel are far superior to the iphone ones, especially being an RPG and fighter fan.

I play on my iphone usually when I don't have my other consoles available (e.g. the bus to school). Otherwise, I have no reason to play it when I have my PC sitting in front of me.

13. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    I got every system (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PSP) and I have to say, they're all gathering dust lol. The only console I play rather often is my xbox 360, I just beat far cry 2 the other week and I might get borderlands. Other than that, my ipod touch is my main source of gaming. :)

14. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    God no. The only logical reason (to me at least) of why anyone would rather play "iPhone Gaming" are the people who can't afford to buy games for the other platforms.

15. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Depends on whether or not you are a casual gamer or hardcore gamer...I play MW2 more than any game I have ever played in my life. (22 days[22 x 24 hours]) I'm definitely a console fan. I only use the iPhone for CoD Zombies and CNN really. And that's only when I'm not near my PS3 or computer. (which is seldom)

16. WunDaii

Oh I see. I don't have a PS3, but am hopefully going to get one soon. I'll play that way more than the iPhone.

I'm not one to play on a mobile at home, as if it's a proper games console. Like Omega said, 'God no'.

I only play it on bus journeys or car journeys, when I'm super bored.

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Most of my game time has been on my iPod Touch since I got it. Why?

- I use it as my PDA, it is always with me.
    - Lots of good one-hand games I can play while doing other tasks (like feeding my daughter when she was a bit younger)
    - With email and basic web browsing, I hardly ever bother to turn on my PC at home anymore...
    - Busy with family at home, most of my gaming time comes from lunch/break times.
    - Many of my coworkers have iPhones/iPods and I've had fun playing games against them! (BattleBlasters is awesome over bluetooth!)

I used to have a few games on my Handspring Visor Prism (including the excellent, but dated Dragonbane II which got ported to this device) and often carried my DS with me, but not so much anymore since there are so many good games on this platform. And it's small. And it's got my music/etc. on it...

18. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Yes and no.

Yes because as of late I have had less money to spend on console games.

No because I will play my Wii a lot more when Metroid and Zelda come out.

19. SleepyAndroid

SleepyAndroid Active Member

Feb 1, 2010
    My iPod Touch fits much better into my life than any console would. While owning an Xbox and PS2, my interest in consoles, as well as PC games, pretty much died with the PS1. I would throw away money on games that I barely touched (especially RPGs). Sometimes I am tempted to purchase a PS3/360 but would I touch it at all? I think not. I just lost the love of gaming for a while UNTIL I got my iPod Touch. Now I love games both "deep" and casual pick up and play. Not to mention I would never get to the gym or find time to hang out with both of my girlfriends if I played consoles.

20. Santoron

Santoron Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Definitely.

My DS, PSP, and Wii are gathering dust and the only one that I consider a "Must have" anymore is the DS, for some of the great exclusives and as a handheld for my wife on trips. The other two could easily be out of my collection if the right deal comes along.

Only other system getting much play anymore is the PS3. The iPhone usually gets more playtime over a week, but I use the PS3 whenever the mood strikes me and the family can live without the TV for a bit :D).