Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-13-2014, 07:08 PM

I played this game to death on my iPhone 4 during the beta. The background was not smooth, but I knew it came from my phone. I tested also on an iPad Air. And, it was another world. It was smooth. Now, I don't know what happened between the version I tested and this one. But, I wasn't the only one who liked it.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroa View Post
I played this game to death on my iPhone 4 during the beta. The background was not smooth, but I knew it came from my phone. I tested also on an iPad Air. And, it was another world. It was smooth. Now, I don't know what happened between the version I tested and this one. But, I wasn't the only one who liked it.
Does this play good on ipad air? So many people saying bad things about this game.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkimgood View Post
Does this play good on ipad air? So many people saying bad things about this game.
It really is. It ran smoothly and the art looked much better than on my phone (a bigger screen helped a lot).

I don't know on what they played, but it worked perfectly. However, it was before the 7.1 update so I hope it doesn't have an influence (it does have on certain game).
Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppsVerdict View Post
Ok, I don't know what everyone is going on about, but I will be honest. The only good thing about the game is the artwork. Everything else is awful.

To comment on the post above, the issue isn't the frame rate itself, it's that each animation has too few frames to be anywhere near smooth. I tap jump and the character switches to a different pose (in a single frame).

The jump itself happens too slowly and just doesn't feel natural. Sound effects are terrible, background music is ok. But you can't switch off the sound effects without turning off the music.

Some of the power-ups (like turning into a warewolf) are nice, but poor execution just ruins the gameplay altogether.

In one word... sloppy. What the positive comments are based on I just don't understand.

I mean no disrespect to the devs, I wish I had more nice things to say.
I have to agree with this one. There was nothing that grabbed my attention, and in a sea of apps it's hard to justify to myself to keep playing something that has nothing that attracts me. (this is only my opinion)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkimgood View Post
Quote:
It really is. It ran smoothly and the art looked much better than on my phone (a bigger screen helped a lot).

I don't know on what they played, but it worked perfectly. However, it was before the 7.1 update so I hope it doesn't have an influence (it does have on certain game).
I don't think anyone has complained about framerate issues. The game seems to run fine on my 4S. It's just not that compelling to play. The art is nice and there are some good ideas (like the aforementioned "world closing around you" as you die). But the gameplay itself is kind of bland. And the animations -- or lack thereof -- are what make it look worse than it actually is (ie., it's not a framerate issue).
Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 PM

This game can be improve, but it isn't a bad game. We could argue whether it is a good one or not. I liked it, you didn't like it. Now, the dev can read and improve but I won't condemn that game, it doesn't deserve it.

There were some games considered as awesome, I found them terrible, not worth all that kind of attention.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCho133 View Post
I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention
I'm surprised it got any positive attention whatsoever.
It's bad in every way except but a cool atmosphere.

The graphics. It attempts to revisit the shadowy landscapes that limbo has made so popular. Failed attempt.

The sounds. Whoah. Not good.

The gameplay. Average at very best.

The level design. This is where it really fails. Often times there will be spikes at the bottom and bats above, with no way to avoid them. You should never present the player with impossible situations. There are quests with goals s like "avoid power ups for 50 M's". Some power ups are unavoidable, so you are relying on random level luck to complete a quest. I could keep going on and on, but suffice it so say the level design is lazy and for me to keep presenting these situations I'd have to keep playing. I have zero desire to do so.

Overall:
2/5
Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Last edited by eyeGamer; 03-17-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Old 03-16-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeGamer View Post
The level design. This is where it really fails. Often times there will be spikes at the bottom and bats above, with no way to avoid them. You should never present the player with impossible situations. There are quests with goals s like "avoid power ups for 50 M's". Some power ups are unavoidable, so you are relying on random level luck to complete a quest. I could keep going on and on, but suffice it so say the level design is lazy and for me to keep presenting these situations I'd have to keep playing. I have zero desire to do so.
What the dev did is normal. He wanted to let the player the choice whether you wanted to take more damage with the animal or less with the spikes.
For the power ups, you can avoid them if you are willing to take damages.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
What the dev did is normal. He wanted to let the player the choice whether you wanted to take more damage with the animal or less with the spikes.
For the power ups, you can avoid them if you are willing to take damages.
I'm a huge runner fan, and maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of another that does this.
Besides, it could be avoided with good level design.

Wouldn't it be better if the character took damage if they failed at something they attempted"?