Essential iPad–only Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Guise, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #1 Guise, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    I recently got an iPad Mini and have started using it for gaming, along with the iPhone. I'm looking for recommendations of games that are only available for the iPad that fellow TAers consider must–have.

Though I'm partial to shmups, action RPGs, twin-stick shooters, and runners/platformers, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

So far I've downloaded Bastion and Halcyon. What shouldn't I miss? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #2 Exact-Psience, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    My personal picks for ipad-only games:

Bastion
    Machinarium
    Magic 2013

And some Universal games that are just so much better on the wider screen. Also, these games can be played with one hand, and they have no tilt controls required, which are both preferable on the pad:

The Walking Dead
    EPOCH.
    Lili
    Horn
    Anomaly Warzone Earth
    Ghost Trick
    True Skate
    Battleheart
    Angry Birds Star Wars
    Shellrazer
    Fireball SE
    Eve of Impact
    Monster Ate My Condo
    Fargoal
    100 Rogues
    Dungeon Raid

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Thanks for the list! I'll have to check out Machinarium and give Fargoal a try on the bigger screen.

4. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    IMO, the best iPad only game is Battle Academy. It's a IGO-UGO WW2 TBS game that, while having features for the hardcore gamer, is simple enough on the surface for any strategy fan to jump in.

before you see the price and recoil in shock, consider the following: It is a complete port of a PC game that still (I think) retails for 50 bucks (niche wargames can retain their price for years). You can play versus PC opponents, download fan made maps made on the pc, etc...all features that could have been dropped but have made their way from the PC version.

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Not a game, but if you have ThumbJam - a music app, it is phenomenal on the iPad with all the space.

6. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Bastion
    Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
    Elder Sign: Omens

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Oooohh...yeah, Thumbjam is no toy, it is a serious app. At first, it can seem like just a collection of virtualized instruments, but it's actually one of the best music apps on iOS, and works great in conjunction with other music apps. It can both accept and send midi signals to other apps and computer programs.

8. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Aquaria
    Planetary(not a game)

9. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Thanks for the recommendations so far. I'm currently playing Bastion, which rules, and look forward to giving some of the games mentioned a shot.

10. Respox

Respox Active Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Autumn Dynasty
    Avadon: The Black Fortress
    Avernum: Escape from the Pit
    Avernum VI

11. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    The Room! Just finished that this morning. Great atmospheric puzzle game (if you are in to puzzlers at all).

12. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Myst feels like it was made for the ipad even though its not.

13. Mutant storm is a great dual stick shooter on the new ipad. Actually it is the best dual stick shooter on ios. Get it for sure.

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Keep them coming.

15. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Retro Pinball is pretty simple but it shines on the ipad 2. It feels like you're holding a toy pinball machine.

Another game that shines on the ipad is Geodefense even though it's an iphone game you have to play it in 2x mode the explosions that fill the screen are glorious.

16. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Pulse volume 1