making a game... help

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by starmonkey101, Dec 6, 2009.

1. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    :confused:can someone tell me how to make a game lol

i have a really good idea:D

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Well I just started so i dont really know much, but I have gotten some tips from devs on TA. I think you should start by learning C++/objC right? Then download the sdk for free from http://developer.apple.com/iphone/ if you dont want to pay the 99 dollars right now. It REALLY helps by looking at codes for apps.

Then once your basic foundation is set and your game design is well planned out, go for the $99 developing.

3. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    hmmmmmmm..... thanks for your help! i think i have a lot of learning to do

4. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    You should prolly contact a real dev and ask him. Im pretty sure theres more to it than that.
    oh and you need a mac

5. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Really? I have a mac, but why is that?

6. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    The SDK can only be run on a Mac.

7. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

If you have a Mac, download XCode and start developing. Apple provides an emulator that lets you test and develop your applications. If you want to transfer the app to your device (yes, even one you own) it will cost $99/year for a developer license.

If you have a development background, jumping in is very easy. If you don't, you might consider learning an easier language / platform first. Objective-C isn't that bad, but I've found it to be more difficult than similar languages like C# and Java.

Once you've downloaded the SDK, you may want to take a look at some existing code. I highly recommend Cocos2D which is a 2D game engine that GREATLY reduces the amount of effort needed to get started writing games for iPhone.

8. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    thank you for your help but i have no background whatsoever in making games... i have a mac and an iphone (obviously:p) and a great game idea but i have no clue how to make a game.... maybe i will take an online course or something.... idk

9. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    you could also try to gather a team (progammers, artist, etc.)

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Not another one!

11. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    lol i can understand, but if he's working hard and has a good idea, he don't need to be an artist or a coder. However, I don't see how someone with just a good idea can make a game.

12. starmonkey101

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    lol i hear ya... im just am an ambitious guy... according to what i have heard, it will take me a year possibly to understand the mechanics of game making:p

i understand its a very long process, i just need some info for an absolute beginner

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Firestar is 14 and managed to get a good grip on coding in about a month, all on his own. You might not pick it up that fast but you should ask him how he did it.