Turn Based Strategy Games (mecho wars, uniwar, rogue planet etc)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by diffusion8r, Oct 13, 2009.

1. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    What turn based strategy games are there now/upcoming, and how do they compare.

I know about:

Mecho Wars
    Uniwar
    Rogue Planet

So how do mecho wars and uniwar compare? And by looking at Rogue Planet will that rival either of them? (to me, looks like it)

Also, will Mecho Wars be on sale again? It has been on sale many times in the past, and if it was I'd instantly buy it, but because of the history I'm cautious.

2. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    No replies? :(

3. Fudgeboy

Fudgeboy Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    i reckon Rogue Planet will own all.

4. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    mecho wars is better than uniwar (in my opinion) because of
    -better graficĀ“s
    -better campaigns
    -better gameplay

5. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    Hell yea! ;)

uniwar was great when it first came out, we had nothing like it. When mechowars appeared, it was a step up in my opinion, with better campaign missions and much better units.
    But, rouge planet will definately take the gold when it comes out, based almost on graphics alone. If the campaign is as good as rumored, there will be no compitition.

6. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Civilization: Revolution is great. Also the upcoming port of "Battle For Wesnoth" (see my sig) should be good.

7. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Battle For Wesnoth is going to dominate all of them.

8. dooger

dooger Member

Oct 13, 2009
  9. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Mecho Wars has no challenge, I played through both campaigns in one try. Though the animations are much smoother, looks much better, and has no lag. It's good for one playthrough I suppose.
    UniWar is slightly harder, I had to retry a few levels; but the graphics are much lower quality than Mecho Wars, and the developers are too lazy to fix the fatal lag caused by slow engine or whatever in the single player mode, later levels are practically unplayable in single player mode because the opponent takes a whole minute per move. Make sure you don't waste your money on this title.

10. yoman

yoman Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Battle for Wesnoth will rule over all.

11. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #11 Isilel, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    Well, IIRC all of them that are out have Lites now, so you can build your own opinion. IMHO:

Reign of Swords 1 - has the deepest tactical component, the most varied maps and the longest campaign (46 missions, IIRC, each of which will take 20+ minutes to complete and some will be much longer).
    Presentation is workmanlike and there is no real online multiplayer, though you can pit your armies against those of other players and have combat automatically resolved.

I finished it and enjoyed every minute.

Uniwar - less deep tactical component than above, but has base capturing and excellent turn-by-turn online multiplayer. Presentation is also workmanlike. The single-player campaign (which I also finished) is much shorter and less interesting than above and is in essence a tutorial for multiplayer, which is the real meat of the game and very enjoyable.

Mecho Wars - has the most shallow tactical mechanics of the 3, but the best presentation - music, visual design, etc. 2 single-player campaigns of decent length. Multiplayer incoming - has already been submitted, IIRC.

I am one mission away from finishing the "Winged Crusade" campaign.

Well, there is also Civ Rev, of course, which I love, but it is in a somewhat different genre.

12. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    In this regard, Ep II is far beter. I've dedicated an enire article to the multiplayer there - see http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=447950#post447950

13. Cause007

Cause007 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    If you've got an immediate craving for a Turn-based Strategy, you might try some web flash games, instead (I haven't looked, but I'm sure they're out there). I'd agree to wait for what's upcoming. I'll vouch for other responder's comments on UniWar and Mecho Wars, and add that, I was never a fan of Mecho War's art style... I looked past it for it's gameplay, but it still got on my nerves after a while.

14. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #14 Isilel, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
    Well, Reign of Swords 2 is currently unavailable for purchase and from what I have heard when it was, it's multiplayer was, sadly, really unpolished compared to Uniwar's. It didn't even have time-per-turn limits, so that the only way to cancel a match abandoned by your opponent was to surrender (!). Which, with limited unit pool, was a real problem. And the single-player campaign was much shorter than in RoS1, too.

That's why after loving RoS1 to bits and waiting for RoS2 with bated breath, I didn't buy it.

15. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    I own them all and can't wait for BFW and Rogue Planet. I have never gotten to like Civ Rev no matter how I gave it more play time. Probably because I was spoiled by the depth of the CIV PC versions. Uniwar and Reign are decent but I never got that warm fuzzy feeling as when I was enjoying the short but polished Mecho Wars. Really loved that game despite it's tbs gameplay simplicity and how I wish the devs gave more campaign extensions to it. I was happy for the Landians update but damn, its not really that much. Me want more Mecho Wars fix. :)

16. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    well, for TBS

no doubt, Rouge Planet is a master piece in visual graphic with eye candy...but compare to content, Rouge Planet only has 12 missions (*big maps tho*) with around 20+ hrs in length.

Battle for Wesnoth announce they contains 200 maps in first release and roughly took 200~300 hrs gameplay.. wow~

so I love them both.

Suqare Enix's SONG SUMMONER, look neat too.