EA as Worst Company of 2012

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Edmilan, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    #1 Edmilan, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    Worst company in the US, imho i think they deserve it. They killed a lot of good studios and games like the Command and Conquer series. And what of the day 1 DLC that's already in the disc you bought and own? From a guy in Blizz's forums, "if you bought a house and discovered that your basement was locked and that you had to pay extra to get the key, people would be calling BS. You didnt pay for construction workers to build the basement, the basement was already built and usable. I'm fine with paying construction workers to build additional space, but paying extra for a basement that was already there is BS."

Congrats EA!

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Just adding some additional info + links on this topic.

http://au.pc.gamespy.com/pc/mass-effect-3/1222317p1.html

http://consumerist.com/2012/04/congratulations-ea-you-are-the-worst-company-in-america-for-2012.html

My exact sentiment as the Gamespy writer:

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #3 backtothis, Apr 5, 2012
    This is a joke in every sense. It's not hard to guess what the demographics of the majority of the people on consumerist.com are in: ignorant console gamers.

4. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Utterly ridiculous that EA won against a company like Bank of America. Wtf.

5. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

12 y/o's of the world unite!

6. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    EA's response:

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    To be fair Ea shouldn't be in the running with companys like Monsanto about, for worst game developer maybe (but I don't even think that) but not worst company.

For anyone who doesn't already know Monsanto is the one putting insect DNA into Crops which then cross pollinate with every other plant in the Vicinity, this in turn allows them to sue any farmers who don't buy seed from them and control the whole food supply.

8. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #8 dumaz1000, Apr 5, 2012
    You cannot name EA the worst company in the world. It's ridiculous. Get some perspective. Jeez. They're just video games. It doesn't get much worse then BP. Except maybe Blackwater. Hedge Fund managers and mortage lenders are pretty slimy too. Look, I'm sorry EA had the nerve to pawn off morally questionable DLC, but there are companies out there that are responsible for both taking and destroying lives.

9. cotton julius

cotton julius Active Member

Mar 28, 2012
    I don't know which company is the worst in the world, but I am sure that EA is not the worst.

10. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Fair play for not understanding the day one dlc problem. If you're going to complain at least understand the issues first.

11. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    And this is why kids aren't allowed to vote till they're 18.

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I wouldn't have called them the worst either. As others said, BP is much worse.... However EA still shouldn't be completely dismissed as being an awful company. Just not THE worst

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #13 MidianGTX, Apr 5, 2012
    I think it's fantastic that EA won.

First point: This is just a dumb poll, the results won't make a difference to anything on a grand scale, so stop getting wound up about it. There are already plenty of people out there protesting against BP.

Second point: The Gamespy writer gunxsword quoted seems to think that gamers outnumber people who care about the environment. Let's assume they don't - the poll was biased due to how it was conducted and the audience it was presented to. What a shame, but as mentioned in the first point, it's not important. The poll wasn't exactly going to shut anyone down, nor was it going to educate people about how bad banks and oil companies are, that's old news. Now let's assume they do - the poll is correct. If people don't care about the environment, whose fault is that? Certainly not the fault of gamers. They had no say in how BP ran off-shore operations, they weren't born when these companies were founded. They're merely living their lives and reacting to the things that affect them personally. Sounds natural, other animals behave in the exact same way.

Third point: What the hell is Halliburton? When has the Bank of America ever directly harmed me? Some of these American companies aren't very well known outside of the USA, but you're expecting voters worldwide to agree with you? I'm sure they're terrible, but John Doe, Inc.'s slimey tentacles don't affect Europe and Asia, yet EA manages to annoy people clean across the globe. The question wasn't "Which company is regarded as worst by people in America?", it was "Which American company is the worst?".

Final point: EA deserve this. Other companies do too, possibly more, but EA still deserve it. They're not well-liked, they don't listen to their customers and they're a bad example of how to run a friendly business. I think it's laughable that they tried to take the high ground with their response to the poll, as it just shows they're prepared to blatantly suggest that gamers are wrong and stupid, rather than accepting the fact their business method needs a shakeup. Typical arrogant EA, yet again.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

But but but... MY MASS EFFECT ENDINGS!!!

This survey is pathetic.

15. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    I don't think it's about ME's ending coz that's also Bioware. EA deliberately holds back game content for the purpose of charging a fee for it at a later time and date. As quoted when gamers take this for granted, "It's that exact kind of attitude that allows people to ignore the complaints as companies like EA to nickel and dime consumers to death." and "It's one thing to support a game with new content that is worth the price. It's another to put out an inferior — and occasionally broken — product with the mindset of "ah, we'll fix it later and make some money for doing so."
    Personally, maybe not the worst company in the US but instead, worst gaming company.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

The point is if you honestly believe EA is the worst company in the world you need some serious ####ing perspective in your life.

17. Edmilan

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Yeah there are worse companies than EA, but in the gaming biz, imo they are.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

The Consumerist poll was "Worst Company in America," not "Worst Video Game Company in America." Even then, EA is a questionable choice when examined at any more than the surface level. There are far more studios that actively treat their employees worse, are way more aggressive about enforcing ridiculously vague IP, and many more underhanded practices.

But, guys, that Mass Effect ending.

19. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    While I do think origin sucks, like I said earlier in the thread I still think EA is a ridiculous choice especially when there are hundreds of company's doing animal testing, giving us cancer, destroying the environment and messing with the food supply.

Seriously if I could make a magic list (death note even) of 1000 company's I could shut down tomorrow to make the world a better place EA wouldn't even be on it and I'm someone who gets really angry about DLC most of the time.

20. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

You seriously don't know Haliburton? :confused:

I still would have voted for AT&T. Even with the horrible Mass Effect ending (which is really BioWare's fault) EA isn't that much worse then other companies. The last five games I've bought all included day one DLC and online pass codes but none of them were published by EA.