A thought about TouchArcade's environment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MrAlbum, Aug 12, 2013.

1. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    I posted this in the Site Feedback section because I couldn't think of a better place to put it at the time of posting. I wholeheartedly welcome Mods to move this to a more fitting place.

"A kindly tongue is the lodestone of the hearts of men. It is the bread of the spirit, it clotheth the words with meaning, it is the fountain of the light of wisdom and understandingÂ….."

-Baha'u'llah, Founder of the Baha'i Faith.

When I thought about this passage, I had a minor epiphany: how can us gamers ever hope to bring about lasting change, or get people to listen to what we have to say, if our language is characterized by harshness, anger, rage or pretty much anything negative?

The answer, implied by the above quote, is obvious: we can't. To get folks to listen means speaking to them in a gentle manner. Not only that, but apparently, it gives importance to what we say, and it fosters wisdom and understanding. Without that "kindly tongue," very few are going to even think about paying attention to the multitude of good thoughts gamers come up with on a daily basis, and I honestly think that's a shame.

Please, discuss this quote, its content and its implications, to the best of everyone's ability. I sincerely hope folks that do so take their learning and apply it to their lives, and that their lives improve as a result.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    tl;dr: Be nice.

3. MrAlbum

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    I suppose, yes XD

Then again, it could also mean "communicate nice". That's a completely different connotation.

Thoughts?

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    You're dealing with sociological behaviors that can't be healed with a "let's all get along" cheer. People generally do this to compensate for issues outside of the internet, low self-esteem, low confidence, a need to belong/identify with something (mac vs. pc, cellphone brands, mobile OS, console brands, sports teams, ect.), attention, puberty, who knows what else. Long story short, the internet gives me a headache sometimes which is probably why I quit Facebook a couple of years ago, twitter, commenting on Youtube, commenting here as much as I was before.

I mean someone posted in a group here on opinions about the latest iPod touch, I stated I wasn't too fond of it, and they blew up and acted like I had murdered their family. Emotionally unstable, or really really attached to their iPod? You make the call.

5. MrAlbum

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Of course, the "let's all get along" cheer would not be very effective. It is HOW we communicate that attracts others to what we have to say, or at least that's what I understood from the quote.

Motivations, and why people act the way they do, was not the subject of the quote. The quote essentially says: "Speak kindly, and people will be more likely to pay attention in an objective manner." That's my own understanding when I see that quote.

In your case, you left that discussion on the latest iPod touch because folks did not have a "kindly tongue." Instead of contributing to the discussion, their reactions repelled you. Now, you probably won't even consider joining that discussion again, even if interesting points might be brought up at a later point. If they expressed their surprise in a kinder manner, perhaps you may not have been so offended, and perhaps some level of understanding may have been reached.

Perhaps. And perhaps is better than never. Potential benefit is better than guaranteed negativity.

At least, that's what I take away from your post.

That does bring up a good point: just because the quote has wisdom, doesn't mean it has been applied yet. Then again, for those people who "take out their frustrations" on the Internet, I wonder what would happen if someone responded in a "kindly" manner to them? Would they be attracted to what was said, and might the conversation, as a result, focus more on shared understanding?

Anyway, those are some thoughts I had on the facts you brought up. What are some of your thoughts on the topics I brought up?

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I agree with you on how we all should act, and in a perfect world, we would. Truth is, we don't live in Mayberry anymore. It's the Internet, and lots of people like to hide behind their computers there and spew ignorance and rudeness in the face of anonymity. They won't be punished and could care less. Some say people are mostly good, but then why do we need the legal system and religion so much to scare 'em and keep them in line? Sure, morality and ethics are important, but the Internet is basically the Wild West, so how are you gonna tame it? Also, a big problem is when you read something, you lose the context of the points being made and misunderstandings abound! How many times have you posted something and someone dissects it/takes it the wrong way, and turns it into something you didn't even mean it to be? You're like, 'no, that's not what I meant at all!' You can't hear the voice, the tone, and it gets twisted up? All of us have experienced that I'm sure! That sucks! Then you come back to try to clarify it all, and it ends up being redundant! It's a pain in the ass, and someone gets pissed off! But, this is the way we communicate now and we have to deal with it. The days of face-to-face communication have gone bye-bye. We've chosen to hang out in our own private bubbles and deal with things this way, unfortunately. A solution? I wish I had one. The only thing you can truly control is you, and you hit on that yourself! All you can do is treat others the way you like to be treated, basically like you said, and hope it's contagious, and others do the same. If not, hey we all know nothing's gonna change really anyways, right? But you can hope...

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Exactly. Don't interrupt my healing process!

8. MrAlbum

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    If I remember correctly, the Wild West ended when folks banded together to create an environment that fostered law-abiding behavior. Sure, it was hard, but it was done, and as a result the US expanded into new territories and gave folks a slew of new opportunities to explore.

I think that, just because one's environment is difficult, doesn't mean it's impossible to improve. All it takes is a unified community focused on a common goal in order to make lasting change. Of course, saying what is needed, and actually implementing it, are two different things, and that doesn't emphasize how difficult it may be.

And yes, text-based communication has become more and more prevalent in these modern times. However, ask yourself this: does that mean that face-to-face communication has gone extinct? No. We have this tendency to fragment our lives in such a manner that we create artificial choices that are useless, because a choice isn't necessary. Are we forced to decide between text or face-to-face? No!

Therefore, we should not assume that we have to choose, because it is a fact that the choice is irrelevant! Both forms of communication do not crowd out the other. Neither contradicts the other. In fact, one's ability to communicate improves by the various means of communication we master, because both sides have lessons that the other can learn!

For instance, emotional context is key to face-to-face communication. Contrary to popular opinion, writers are experts at giving readers emotional context to the stories they create, which is a key ingredient in how effective such stories often are. Thus, text-based communication improves by learning how to give its content emotional context.

Also, clarity of thought and proper grammar are essential to text-based communication. We all know how difficult it can be for someone to face-to-face express their thoughts in a clear and easy-to-understand manner. Thus, perfecting grammar and taking the time to think through what you are going to say vastly improves the quality of one's face-to-face communication.

Both types of communication actually compliment each other, to the point where it makes sense to master both forms, the more one thinks about it.

Also, remember this: no individual is without power. However, that power becomes magnified when multiple individuals group together to accomplish a common goal. This is not the work of one individual; this is the work of a group of like-minded people. This is how change will be accomplished: as a unit, an army working in unison to use a strained metaphor, not as a bunch of well-minded individuals hoping for things to change.

Contrary to what you may believe, there are already groups of people working together to solve these very same dilemmas. I would suggest you search for them, and assist them however you can.

You're right: we're not in Mayberry anymore. Does that mean we give in to despair and despondency at the loss of Mayberry and give up on the life that Mayberry had? No! It means that a new Mayberry needs to be built from the wreckage of the old Mayberry, and building a new city cannot be accomplished alone. It is only through a group that accomplishments become lasting.

HOKAY, that was QUITE the tangent, amirite? XD

Doesn't mean that there isn't stuff to discuss, though!

Thoughts?

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #9 JBRUU, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    Asking everyone to get along on the web is akin to asking the two parties in the US to just stop bickering and get it done. It's never really happened, it's never going to happen. It's far too ingrained into people and political parties' natural impulses.

What do you want, a global Internet Police?

Besides, watching two people go at it can be immensely entertaining.

10. No police please.

11. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Nice is boring, police suck, and those posts are too long.

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #12 JBRUU, Aug 13, 2013
    "I like being a douche on the Internet, I hate having my rude posts get deleted and censored, I can't be bothered to read more than a paragraph".

13. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    #13 k1lljoy_89, Aug 13, 2013
    That sounded better in your head, didn't it.

Although I do enjoy being a dick. I definitely hate having my posts deleted. And I most certainly can't be bothered to read more than a paragraph.

But mostly I was just late to the thread and was succinctly chiming in with my ever so thoughtful thoughts. (with a hint of doucheyness to fit the theme of the thread)

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    It's really hard to lambast you when you just acknowledge everything I say as true.

15. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Don't feed the trolls...

16. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Then don't state the obvious.

17. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I'll make that call and say you should read the original post in this thread so you'll know the difference on being "not too fond of something" vs actually being harsh, negative and disrespectful.

18. That is your description of kj?

19. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    [​IMG]

20. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #20 Cilo, Aug 13, 2013
    Harsh about what? An opinion on a piece of plastic that has no bearing or value on the person holding it unless they put it there themselves? Stating an opinion about a piece of electronic, and stating an opinion about a person are two different things, and the only opinion I could ever make about anyone on this site is Cygnet - who is a cool down to earth guy.

Any other comment I have made on this site has been towards hardware or software, and if someone can't handle someone else's opinion I'm not here to coddle them. When I say opinion, of course I am not referring to malicious attacks, and of course I would expect some devs might take offense to pointless remarks about their games, but to be honest most of the threads end up being brown nose fests. Some people might not like the controls in Johnny Dookie Run for certain reasons, and if that can't be stated because Edward43232 is a diehard Johnny Dookie Run fan, then how the hell is the dev of Johnny Dookie Run going to know how to work on creating titles that appeal to different audiences?