Sky Racer. 3D flight sim for iPhone

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by abyrvalg, Sep 29, 2009.

1. abyrvalg

abyrvalg Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKw3GwoleqQ

Sky Racer game brings you an unparalleled realism of 3D graphics against the visually stunning and breath-catching scenery.

Selection of routs filled with crazy stunt tasks is available, as well as a range of planes from a single engine Cessna to a private jet. You can also choose the time of the day and weather conditions for your flight.

Sky Racer has the best flight physics engine for mobile devices. You will not be able to find this level of realism in any other game on iPhone. We take into account actual aerodynamic properties and engine characteristics of real planes.

Game is currently in the AppStore testing. Stay tuned it will be in the AppStore shortly!

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009

Is that supposed to be a remote control plane? It sure looks small on that road...:confused:

3. abyrvalg

abyrvalg Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    This is just some limitations of our old terrain engine. We will fix runway scale as well as greatly improve textures/fps/horizon parameters in the version 2.0 which will have a revamped terrain engine.

4. babegallery

babegallery Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Looks cool! When does it come out?

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    As long as the graphics and GUI have been redone (or touched up at least) I'm sold.

6. abyrvalg

abyrvalg Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Sky Racer is in AppStore testing in the moment. We expect it to become available in a week.

Interface was actually touched up compared to the preview video, but it was just minor touches like better font on the buttons, a bit better controls responsiveness etc.

7. babegallery

babegallery Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Have you ever thought of making an airplane creator similar to the one in the old MS Flight Simulator? I think that would be hugely popular on the iphone.

Creating planes, sharing them, and flying...cool!

8. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    That would be epic! Xplane is so so but it needs a better graphic engine and crashing. And the damn water is solid ;-).

9. abyrvalg

abyrvalg Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    #9 abyrvalg, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
    Actually all our planes are scriptable as well as maps, we actually have developed map creator tool already for our internal use. Plane is just a 3D object which comes with script file with aerodynamic parameters. All the tasks are scriptable as well. We intend to come up with more planes and tasks in the future versions.

We have not yet thought about airplane creator tool, but it is actually will not be too difficult to develop. Some 3D design skills and tools will still be required though from the user of such tool.

Crashing effects are actually quite dramatic and camera goes around the crash site for a few seconds while its burning. These effects are not shown on video, because we considered crashing is too depressing to have in the preview :)

If you will crash into the water there will be circles on the water from each piece of debris ;)

10. abyrvalg

abyrvalg Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    I forgot to mention that in two weeks we are planning to send to AppStore testing helicopter game with similar concept and visuals

11. Howard

Howard Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Looks like we will have a great FS app for the iPhone soon.

12. abyrvalg

abyrvalg Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Game is expected to be released by the end of the week. We sent it to Apple testing last week.

13. yellowsquirrel

yellowsquirrel Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Looks cool! Any news from Apple yet?

14. han0007

han0007 Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    First Officer Qantas.
    Melbourne, Australia
    Nice but is this going to have Boeing 747's or A380's because I love flying and landing them in x-plane airliner but the graphics on that game isn't that good. :)

15. abyrvalg

abyrvalg Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    No news from Apple, but I do not see any reason to reject the game. We expect it from Apple testing any day now.

No Boeing 747 yet, but we may add it, as I wrote before additional planes are just 3D models and script descriptions to it, so adding of the plane is almost completely 3D design work.
    Also some routs will be impossible to do on Boeing.

In fact we have following planes in the current version:
    Aero L-29 Dolphin
    Su-26
    Blanik L-23
    Cessna Stationar
    Fokker DR1 (Red Barron)

More planes to come...

16. abyrvalg

abyrvalg Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
  17. abyrvalg

abyrvalg Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
  18. han0007

Jun 2, 2009
    First Officer Qantas.
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wow, abyrvalq just picked up this game and it's amazing!!!
    Before this came out I wasn't expecting much from your small company, but you've created something big. As a airplane lover, I love this game. Well done much better than the other plane games on the app store including wings: flight sim or stunt plane. I rate this 9/10, here are some suggesions:

*When using cockpit view make it so all the panel info do something, instead of only the middle circle control not being a picture.

*Make the camera more stable when using outside third person view. Like on x-plane.

Definetely more interesting routes like the plane has to go under a small bridge or in between huge city buildings.

* Bigger airplanes with bigger routes e.g Boeing 747 or 737s.

Instead of being in deserted areas, make an option to choose and make other places like Nyc, Paris, Australian Outback Uluru, amazon rainforest and cookislands.

* Multi-player Racing throught wi-fi or Bluetooth!
    Otherwise great job!

19. abyrvalg

abyrvalg Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    han0007 thank you for your good words and advise, we definetly will take it into account.

The technology that we used is not new and has quite long history, we have started more than 3 years ago and spend a lot of effort to create a nice flight physics engine, we tried to launch games on other platforms like Symbian and Windows Mobile, but market there is almost not existing, so when iPhone came we ported it to iPhone. Even if we are small company, but total amount of development work is very substantial and comparable to what big name companies are spending on their games.

20. han0007

Jun 2, 2009
    First Officer Qantas.
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeahh I know what you mean, the big companies aren't always the best and you've proved it. Also i heard that there's going to be a helicopter game coming out from your team. Is this still in development? Thanks.