Why does ea even bother to make idevice games if they cripple them?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    I was reading the new ifs game and it seems that EA still doesn't get it. Half the freaking game is missing as you are only chasers or pursuers and not pursued. Why do they spend sly the amount of time porting an engine or adding good graphics to games and cripple them or make half a$$Ed ports in the first place? Do Idevice gamers not want real games and continue putting money in their pocket anyway? Or is it that they never make enough money for them to bother? But if that is the case why make these games at all instead of spa ding time making them on psp or ds or the next co sole game? I mean if ur gonna cripple every single game you release why even bother?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
  4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #4 Vovin, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    They would give you the whole game, if you were willing to pay for it. Either reach into your pocket and pull out $40, or stop complaining.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

You forgot that you need to connect a Cray to your iDevice. :D

/sarcasm

7. WeskerWario

WeskerWario Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    -none at the moment-
    Florida
    I'll break the ice, Cool Story Bro.

8. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Would you all share a good laugh if I said Stirolaks face looks like a phanny?

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

If you care to explain the word "phanny".

11. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I think Stirolaks may have abandoned this one...

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #12 Vovin, Nov 16, 2010

Nope, he hasn't seen it yet. Maybe Hodapp's, but not the rest.

Btw., when will they bring the full "Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" port to the iDevices?

13. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    U guys still haven't awnsered my question. If it is a financial issue wouldn't they make more money by not developing for the idevices at all in the first place and put those guys to work for other platforms. Look at what blizzard does, they concentrate on one platform. How is making games for every system and half assed once profitable at all in the first place? Most indie devs have no choice and use the app store to get their names out there or start a resume, but why would ea even make games in the app store if they aren't willing to put an effort? Also have they tried keeping prices at a premium level and made a console game and launched it at say $20? How would they know it wouldn't be profitable if they never even tried it and no one outside square with chaos rings has really?

14. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #14 Bad Hanson, Nov 16, 2010
    It might be said for most of the big console dev's (maybe with the exception of ID, Rockstar and recently Square) the iPhone app store is too unpredictable. With an I.P. Such as NFS they will probably make as much money from half a game as a full one on the app store as most people won't be expecting too much and will buy it regardless "If it is Cheap".
    Big game companies such as E.A. won't take a risk these days, their strategy with 'mobile' game releases seems to be cover their bases only. Besides they don't want to be compromising profit by making amazing iPhone games which can only sell for a fraction. It does have a good effect for us in a way as Indie dev's can (and frequently do) make kick- ass, better games by far without any of the corporate considerations. Whilst the iPhone has done well and is amazing, really amazing, the perception is still largely that this is a phone which plays games. Lots of people simply don't know it like we do. Just read a few Kotaku comments on iPhone posts, it amazes me how vitriolic and fickle these so called gamers can be when they have a half formed understanding about our game console -and that is what it is a game console. Only market trends and big dev houses making huge profits off iOS gaming will improve things and have people taking it more seriously. In the mean time the iOS juggernaut keeps on rolling.

15. Aussie2

Aussie2 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    I think you're forgetting here that EA don't develop the games, they're a publisher, besides it's not EA who makes the decisions here, it's EA mobile and they know that the majority of people don't want full blown games on a phone so they make games with middle content and sell them for a cheap price

16. That in itself is the problem. How many iPhone owners will gladly pay £40 for a full game? The majority of the people who own iPhones won't pay more than 59p for anything, so how can companies like EA put millions into development for a game on the iPhone when they know for a fact that they couldn't sell it at a price that would get them a profit?

If I remember, Angry Birds is the best selling game on the iPhone at something like six and a half million copies. That got them a little less than £4 million, of which Apple took about £1.2 million. Capcom, arguably the most prolific third party video game developer, want to see at least five million sales (£200'000'000) from most of their games on the first day of release. They're not the only ones, either. As video games become more expensive (in terms of money and time) to develop, every company wants to see much greater profit margins to compensate. They know as well as anyone here does that the iPhone could never give them that kind of return. So they release small minigames that cost very little to develop, no more than twenty thousand dollars say, and can be sold for 59p and net them a half-decent profit.

It has nothing to do with risk-taking. Simple math proves that the iPhone could never achieve the kind of profit that developers would need to justify putting actual effort and attention into the mobile gaming market. Why put Dragon Quest XI on the iPhone when it wouldn't even get a tenth of the profit that having it on the 3DS would give?

Did you forget the part where it's called an iPhone? Or where the iPod Touch is just an iPhone without the phone? Or where the iPad is just a really damn big iPod Touch? No matter how you try to wrangle it, the iPhone and its derivatives will never be anything more than phones which play games. Apple themselves push the "mobile video game" market and the micro transaction trends coupled with the extremely low price point just further that.

Until developers like EA, Ubisoft, Capcom and Konami can sell £30~£40 games on the iPhone, the best you'll ever get is stuff like Infinity Blade. Which will literally be just a fifth of a game sold to you for a fifth of the full price.

Vitriolic and fickle? How are we either of those things when the best the "iOS juggernaut" can muster is Angry Birds, a crappy port of Phoenix Wright, the last level of a full game and a bunch of ports of PC games. Even Game Dev Story, arguably the most addictive on the iPhone right now, is a port of a PC game released in 1996! That's 14 years old!

Maybe we "so called gamers" would have a better opinion of the iPhone and its derivatives if, I dunno, the rest of the owners of the devices wouldn't have a cardiac arrest at the sight of a game being sold for more than 59p. It's a shame Square Enix put Chaos Rings on the iPhone, to be honest, when it would've gotten far more appreciation and sales as a PSN game.

17. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    #17 Stirolak26, Nov 16, 2010
    I was talking as an ipad owner here. Why don't they port the full blown game to the iPad with the HD version that always costs way more anyway? Why do they just port the iPhone games and charge more for the ipad or HD version and make the same half a$$Ed iPhone games on it? Why wouldn't ppl want the full need for speed on the ipad with it's great battery life and nice screen you dont have to strain to see unlike the iPhone?

18. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Plus you could sell the ipad version at like 20 bucks which is what I believe another crippled ifs is gping for on the app store for it already anyway. For 17 or so bucks its not too much to ask for at least all the core features of the main game is it? When is apple going to start trying to get devs to differentiate the iPad from their other devices or encourage ppl to make games for it?

19. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    #19 Stirolak26, Nov 16, 2010
    And regarding the kotaku and other hardcore gamer comments, it's worse than how they treat the wii bro. The wii doesn't even get this much hate and trash talk and fear from them. Fear it will be more popular than the establishment and what they've been gaming on for 20 or so years and take over. But when half a$$Ed after half a$$Ed efforts by the big devs constantly come out it isn't helping the image at all. I mean even FIFA 11 has less content and career or be a pro mode than the psp version and the psp is a dead system.

And win trail, your not entirely right. There are a couple hardcore or full console games on the iPhone. Look at prince of Persia and gta. Those aren't half a$$Ed or angry birds games, I just wish more titles even if ports and not original like this came out. Also gameloft is really the only developer who makes hardcore or console like games right now. Beside the pop port look at spider man totals mayhem. It's only them and not ea or anyone else though and Indy devs make casual stuff like why is that recent 4x game so casual and galcon like and not a full complex strategy game? I think it's called distant star. It's like even these Indy devs are afraid of releasing pc like complex games due to the casual user base. Is it even worst of s user base than the wiis?

Again, if its possible to make pop on the advices why stop there. What else could be achieved? And have they actually studied the higher priced but quality games on the advices or tried selling their games for more? If not how can they judge full games for instance. The iPad wouldn't work?

And where are the other pop games? Bottom line pop proves its possible from a hardware standpoint so its not the fact it's a phone or iPad that's holding the companies back or that it has a touchscreen in all cases. It is possible.

20. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010