The Gaping Hole in the Shape of a Great Golf Game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Gabrien, May 16, 2012.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Why isn't there a single good golf game on the app store? I have been wondering this for a while. We're drowning in mini golf titles. There are...too many...2D puzzle games disguised as golf. Gameloft and EA have failed miserably with their offerings to date. Are no developers even willing to attempt to plug this potentially highly profitable hole in the market?

I just want a golf game on my iPhone, dammit. For pretty much as long as I have had an iPhone.

2. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I love golf games as well and own a ton of them. Mini golf and 2D are much easier to make than traditional golf, that is why there are so many.

3. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Flick golf is pretty good IMO... It would cooler if it was more than just trying to sink it from the drive..

Also super stickman golf is really good..though it's not traditional

I've never played the tiger woods game so don't know about that..

4. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    I've maintained from the moment this was released that if they'd just take away the aftertouch and expand the engine to a proper golf game it would be amazing. Unfortunately Full Fat don't have the cookie cutter for that.

Agreed. And it pretty much sewes up the genre.

Count yourself lucky.

5. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Cobra Mobile had a couple golf games a year or two back that had the potential to be great but they missed the mark. If you have not played them they were full courses with a similar play mechanic to what Full Fat ended up doing.

And yes, if Full Fat would get rid of the after touch and focus on a full game I think it could be great. I am guessing they do well with what they have and don't want to risk the time and money on a bigger game.

6. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Agreed on both counts.

I'd actually forgotten about the Cobra Mobile efforts, but yes, did try them and they do come up short.

And Full Fat release highly polished, technically accomplished, tragically safe, "product."