Zogma: Tactical Zombie Survival Simulator

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by FrakinKraken, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrakinKraken

FrakinKraken Active Member

Aug 31, 2009
    #1 FrakinKraken, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    Hi Everyone,

My name's Chris, Managing Director of Jumbo Squid Productions

Right now I'm really stoked to announce that Zogma: Tactical Zombie Survival Simulator is approaching Beta and is only a few weeks away from submission to the app store. OMG you say, more Zombies? Damn straight more zombies. Zogma is a tribute to the zombie franchise, its clichéd, its kitsch and it's awesome.

[​IMG]

As the title says we're building a "Tactical Zombie Survival Simulator", in which the player will take charge of a group of hard-pressed survivors as they battle to defend one of the world's last strong points against a never ending undead horde.

Features:

• Three Distinct Levels: Defend a farm house, hospital or a surrounded diner car from hungry hordes.
    • Full Weapon Upgrade Path: allows the player to make strategic choices with weapon combinations, reinforcing defences and upgrading their arsenal.
    • Plus+ Integration: Full online scoring and achievements, can you be the best survivor out there? Compare the amount of time you survived against other players results. Competitions will be run for the players who can survive longest. Back yourself against your friends to see who can survive the most days from first infection!
    • Global Outbreak: See how your country is tracking against the outbreak using our Global Outbreak map!
    • Full Day/Night cycles: The passing of the days will be reflected in a genuine night / day cycle. If killings zombies by day seems hard, wait till you try it by torch light!
    • Comic Style appearance: Fun and pleasing on the eye, we press ganged veteran cartoonist Rhys McDonald to give Zogma the look and feel we wanted!

Feedback is 100% appreciated!

We're also running an artistic comp with iPod Touches up for grabs! If you’re a creative writer or know how to draw then head over to http://zogma.mobi/comp/ for more details!

Follow our progress on our blog, http://zogma.mobi/ and head over there for a video and more screenshots.

Cheers guys!

[​IMG]

2. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Woooo~~ Another Plus+ game :D

Do you have bigger images? or a video? These looks pretty small.

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
  4. FrakinKraken

Aug 31, 2009
    Videos of the Alpha build are up on the website, expect to see updated Beta screenshots and videos over the coming week.

5. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Woohoo! Looking forward to them :)

6. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Thanks! I missed the part where you mentioned where to find the videos and screens :p

Anyway, I see more than 1 person shooting sometimes (up to 3), how are the controls for this?

7. FrakinKraken

Aug 31, 2009
    #7 FrakinKraken, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    There's a few different game play mechanics with the shooting.

Firstly your survivors will automatically fire at the nearest target unless instructed otherwise. This will suffice to a point but if you rely only on this you'll get swamped pretty quickly. Given the aim is to survive longer then anyone else in the world you'll want to try one of the other options :)

You can instruct survivors to target specific zombies in which case they'll target them until dead or given a different target. The advantage of this over auto targeting is it allows you to take out the greatest threat (i.e ranged opponent or fast moving opponent) AND the survivor fires at a greatly increased rate of fire.

Alternatively if you hold your finger on the screen the survivor will fire down the line you're drawing also at an increased ROF. This is great for weapons like the shotgun where you can spread buckshot over multiple targets.

So basically there's a degree of auto fire and micro managing survivors. The player will really need to take advantage of the increase ROF to progress a fair way in the game. Later levels with having firing arcs facing in different directions as well making it really important!

Attached some images from you tutorial which should explain it a bit better

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    wow this sounds great! ive been waiting for a game like this for a long time and the graphics are exactly how i like it :D
    i just hope you can have more than 3 people. like you can put people out on the field or something too, even if its just on some maps

9. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Hmmmm... it looks like a lot of micromanagement is necessary. But it does look interesting though. Not sure if there's anything like it in the App Store right now. So are you aiming for an end of December release?

10. FrakinKraken

Aug 31, 2009
    It does sound like a bit of micromanagement but it's surprising how easy it is to get on top of it. Target at the moment is to release towards the start of December with the first major update targeted for January.

11. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    It'll be pretty cool if you can draw lines on the enemies (like Radio Flare) and the enemies will be targetted in succession lol

12. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Any idea of how much it will be? :D

13. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    definitely going to keep an eye on this

14. FrakinKraken

Aug 31, 2009
    We're looking at Tier 2 ($1.99 US) as the target price. Would love to make it higher but realistically for $5.00 these days you're getting FPS that look better on a phone then they did 6 years ago!

15. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    Looks like the page I have for Zombie apps will be getting a new one. This looks great!

16. destrist

destrist New Member

Nov 6, 2009
  17. FrakinKraken

Aug 31, 2009
    Multiplayer is currently in the works for our first update, zombies v survivors and 2 player survival.

We're aiming for gold in a fortnight and App Store submission straight after. App should be out quite early December!

18. Bystanderus

Bystanderus Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Looks pretty good, I'll have to check this out when it comes out. How long have you guys been working on it for?

Also, the blood looks kinda pink in those screenshots... Will we get zombies spilling rainbows? :p

19. FrakinKraken

Aug 31, 2009
    New screen shots for the game play tutorials are now available on Zogma.mobi!

Updated level design and new zombies will be up real soon.

20. FrakinKraken

Aug 31, 2009
    Updated images of the new hospital level, pre and post carnage!

New death decals are in and looking good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]