When to release a lite version...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by cavalcadegames, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cavalcadegames

cavalcadegames Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Generally, when do you think is the perfect time to release a lite version?

a. at the same time as the full version
    b. 1 week after after the full version
    c. a week BEFORE the full version
    d. 2 weeks or more after the full version

thanks!

2. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  3. guggug

guggug Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    um....ishoot? lol

4. cavalcadegames

Apr 21, 2009
    ummmm.. When the heck?

I was asking WHEN is the right time to release a lite version...

I don't follow why just pointing at ropenfly and ishoot answers that. :)

5. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    #5 DaveMc99, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    Rope waited 2 months to release the lite if you want to follow that example.

6. cavalcadegames

Apr 21, 2009
    sorry, my fault. didn't see the dates there. hmmm. so 1 month after for both ishoot and rope n fly.

7. guggug

guggug Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    sorry i thought it was self explanatory. i shoot had been out for quite a while (idk exactly how long, couple months?) and then the lite version boosted it up to the #1 spot in the us for like 3 weeks straight.

8. The lite version should be released at least a week or two after the full game.

If you are lucky enough that TouchArcade puts up an article about your game when it is released, then they will often do a follow up article when the lite version is released a few weeks later.

If the lite version is released at the same time, you don't get the second round of publicity.

As for appearing on the daily new releases list in iTunes, it is much better for visiblity if the full and lite versions don't appear at the same time.

Also, there are some people who might buy your game based on the iTunes description, but wouldn't buy it after playing the lite version, either because they end up not liking it, or because the lite version satisfies them enough to not need to buy the full game.

9. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    To the contrary that most people think, a lite version is sometimes a bad idea.

10. fazfznz

fazfznz Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Student
    California
    . at the same time as the full version

11. mobilainteractive

mobilainteractive Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    how so?

12. DaveMc99

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Lites can have too much gameplay so people don't feel the need to pay for more or help people decide they don't like it.

13. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    I can only speak for myself, but when I download a Lite version I'd say I play it at the most 30 s. If I don't like it instantly, I just delete it right away. The result is a very low rating for the Lite version. Other people might look at the rating and don't even bother downloading the free Lite version altogether, and thus, never downloading the full version either.

For instance, I'm pretty sure most people playing Sway Lite never have a chance to grasp the never-seen-before controls. They take a good amount longer than 30 s to get the hang of, I'd say 5-10 mins to get good at it. Once you do get the hang of the controls, everyone seem to love it. Same with Touchgrind. Steep learning curve, yup, but once you get accustomed to them, you'll love it.

With that said, that's why there isn't a Lite version of Touchgrind, it would hurt sales because people wouldn't get the right impression of it from the Lite version (plus, we can't find a way of limiting it in a good way to make Apple happy).

14. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Lite games can be magnets for anonymous 1 star ratings, which probably won't do you any good. On the flip side, a lite version can protect you from people paying for your full version and being upset that it wasn't what they expected.

If the full game isn't very good, don't bother with a lite version :) You'll lose what few suckers might have bought it.

If the full game is a simple pick up and play game, it may be difficult to reduce it sufficiently so that people still have incentive to buy the full version.

On the plus side, a well executed and timed lite release can be a huge boon to visibility with plenty of upside, particularly if your full version has already slipped off the top lists.

Moreover, if your game costs more than 99 cents, there are many users that won't even consider it without being able to try it first.