Future of single player gaming on iOS due to f2p popularity

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by drez, Apr 1, 2014.

1. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    The big concern I have with free to play is how it seems to really destroy the concept of the single player game. Look at Puzzle and Dragons. It's a fun game but it is purely social team building and dungeon runs. The 3DS port of PAD Z actually has a Pokemon like single player campaign, but that's a no go for the mobile version. It seems like most recent RPG's aside from Square Enix and Kemco are PAD or other card/team building clones with no story and often automated combat. No story or exploration as you would get in a single player experience. I'd love to see something like PAD Z on mobile, but it seems like even in Japan where mobile is insanely popular, it's all social type games with no single player depth at all.

The same goes for other genres as well. Look at how Gameloft essentially stripped single player out of Dungeon Hunter 3 and Six Guns.

I guess my question is if with more and more devs going towards f2p, games as service and online required, will single player campaigns be a rare exception on this platform in the future? Makes me a little sad if true.

Thoughts?

2. Usually just play and buy premium games nowadays. Getting bored of the freemium junk and flappy bird clones.

3. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Yep, same here.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont think we'll see the death of it. I'm fed up of games which require me to be online to play games. Actually loaded up Six Guns the other day, still single player but all the IAP's etc ruin it.

As theres SO many iOS games out there i think due to the wide mix we'll be okay.

I cant stand games which go on about twitter/facebook but sadly the 'kids' seem to like clicking on the buttons to get extra coins etc.

You just used a promo code for another clone !

For me games like Ravensword/Shadow Sun are the games i want to support, huge great single player RPG's, people should buy these at full price to support the dev then hopefully we'll get more

5. #5 Connector, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    Yes, but that doesn't mean I am not bored of 5,000,000 flappy bird clones (EP don't kill me for saying this :))

Actually I got it mostly for the name.

Flappy Head

Wonder how Flappy Head will look. Hopefully really good.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Haha... Well, there good clones and bad clones so it isnt a bad idea to keep a couple flappy games on your device. ;)

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    But again i'm not worried about the single player experience. I'm sure like many of you i have lots of different folders on my device for all types of games (single player i concentrate on). If the app store shut down tomorrow for a year i still have 100's of games to play.

Again being an 'oldie' its so good having classics from the 80's and 90's on my device, all on one device. A dream !!

We had all the Angry Bird clones, Temple Run clones, granted these Flappy clones are still around but it'll be something else in a few months time.

8. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I think developers often seem to think that the App Store is ONE market. It isn't. It's full of gamers of all types, from ultra casual to extremely hardcore.

Hardcore games will never, ever appeal to everyone. But we're talking about a big pool of potential customers here. Enough hardcore gamers are in that pool to support the niche.

I'd like to see developers market to that niche. Raise prices significantly, cut out all the social / timer / ad BS. Truly embrace the fact that your limited market, niche game will NEVER become number 1 on the charts. That's okay - the App Store is huge, and the audience is there if you look for it.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Plus a lot of the more 'retro' games which appeal to us oldies, i'm quite happy for those prices to be higher (no IAP crap etc).

After years of copying games as a kid at school on tape, i'm quite happy now buying as many games as i can to help out devs (after feeling guilty as a kid !)

I mean look at quality games like Baldurs Gate, SW KOTOR, premier price, sold by the bucketload which is great

10. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Hey, not all Flappy style games are crap. Mr. Flap and Flappy Golf are genuinely good games

11. Yeah, some of the Flappy Bird look alikes are quite good.

Now you are putting words in my mouth. Actually, the best Flappy Birds clone (and I agree with EP on this one), is Jetpack Joyride. :)

12. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Do you not know the definitions of words you use?

13. Slaysme

Slaysme Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Buy a vita!

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'm even more concerned with the rise in premium games with very heavy IAP presence. And the number of games going from premium to freemium. If I know a game is freemium, I can accept that fact upfront and decide about how the model works underneath.

But games that have a price tag then still push IAPs or convert to freemium. That's a trend I'm not liking.

15. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Wording aside, finally some people who realize Flappy Bird is just an extremely irritating version of Profit Bird!

16. Yes, I do, I am using EP's words. Though it is in jest. Don't take it seriously. :p

17. Johnclayton

Johnclayton New Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Businessman and on-line promotional officer
    USA, New york
    #17 Johnclayton, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Usually just perform and buy top quality activities these days. Getting tired of the free mium trash and flappy fowl imitations. web design service

18. I am liking the super street fighter flappy game and also flappy head, as ps309 says, there are some fun flappy bird games.

19. Professor jermiah

Professor jermiah Active Member

Dec 30, 2013
    i dislike the free to play mechanics on a lot of free games, and that is the reason why i perfer to pay money for a premium game, after all the most expensive game on the app store is like $20, and that's nothing compared to consoles and they give you the same content roughly. I just hope the clones of games get flushed out of the app store, because it would make the app store a much cleaner place.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Did you mean me ? I never said that at all, never. Think my views on 'that' game have been made quite obvious!