Giving out web design advice

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by SachaG, Dec 7, 2010.

1. SachaG

SachaG Member

Dec 7, 2010
    If anybody needs some design advice for their site, web app, or mobile app I'd be happy to help. You can take a look at my portfolio here:

http://www.sachagreif.com

In exchange I'd be interested in getting in touch with experienced iOS game developers. I'd like to try my hand at game development and I figure knowing some experts could come in handy. I have a background in computer science by the way, so I'm not a total noob even if that was a long time ago…

2. SachaG

SachaG Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Note: just to be clear I'm not offering paid design services, just free advice for people who are building their own site and would like a second opinion.

3. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    I need a PHP developers help...like with BBcodes and CSS work and stuff. IF you have experience in any of that I could use your help.

4. SachaG

SachaG Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Sorry, I'm not that good at PHP :(

5. Hey SachaG, Your portfolio sites are nice. If you're interested in getting your hands dirty or simply critiqueing. Check out www.occamygames.com and send us a note. I'd be interested to chat.

6. SachaG

SachaG Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Nice site. It looks very clean and professional. A few ideas:
    - The nav's baseline is not aligned with the logo, it's a few pixels too low
    - Maybe you could use a different font for the nav. By using the same one as the logo you risk diluting the logo's impact. And it's also a little bit hard to read at that smaller size.
    - You could add a slider to showcase your different games. Sliding just the contents of the iphone screen would look good.
    - White text on black needs a lot of breathing room to be readable. On the content pages I suggest increasing the font size to 14px and the line-height to 1.5

7. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    I'm more interested in technical advice on hosting and the like. I'm a total noob when it comes to this and I'm having some troubles setting it up correctly.

I bought a domain in godaddy and I used the numerous youtube tutorials in how to set up your site with dropbox.

The problem is that all the tutorials get the first page set up and forwarded with mask and they stop. I got that far, but I'm having trouble adding up new pages.

Inside the site if you go to a new page it just shows mydomain.com, no matter what page I'm on. I want it to show mydomain.com/info or whatever. Also If I type mydomain.com/info I get a 404. I've searched everywhere and looked at pretty much all the tutorials, but they all end at the same place. I'm wondering if it's a limitation of the dropbox method. I'd be willing to maybe pay for some hosting, but $5 a month seems overkill for my limited needs.

Also I'd like for referral links such as ?rf=ns from facebook to work (They don't right now). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I have the same question what's a good web hosting service to use?

9. VortexGamesInc

VortexGamesInc Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    I'm curious what you think of our site. Right now we are getting more information in about our games so the game sections are pretty bare, but feel free to tell me what you think! (This is actually our second site)

http://www.vortexgamesinc.com