OpenFeint Idea- Vote Now!!!!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DGH94, Sep 30, 2009.

?

Should there be a page in OF where all games are listed?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    Not sure if this has been mentioned at all, but I have an idea for OpenFeint. I'm not a developer in any way, but I do have close relationships with a lot of devs, especially with those whose apps are not #1. A lot of games have OF, and developers include it to try to raise their sales. But this is all in vain, because unless somehow a lot of people visit your App Page all of a sudden and see that your app has OF, there is no other way to announce that it supports it besides through TA and other blog sites. My idea is for there to be a page in OF that lists every single game that supports it, and when you click it, it brings you to the App in the App Store. I just thought of this pretty much at random... so I'd love your guys feedback... :D

2. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    On the OF website there is an area for new features and this was one of the most requested! I really hope this comes out soon! As a dev, I would also like a way to re-arrange achievements!

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Not sure if this is necessary - that's a lot of games to load (just think of how long it takes to load all your friends, etc in chunks...)

Better to have a web page you can visit in Opera, or have a tab under "who's playing" that lets you see the last 25 or so people who played the same game (which you can then add as friends, and see what games they have, etc...)

Which makes me wonder, how does OpenFeint make money? Do they get kickbacks when you punch that buy button when looking at games you don't have? :confused:

4. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    I know it's not necessary, I just think it would allow app to be unearthed from the app graveyard. And to answer your money question, this would be a good way to do it. Pay a small fee to be on the list.

5. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yeah, I think they get money whenever someone buys an app through OF. It says somewhere on their website.

6. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    #6 micah, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    I have some games that use OpenFeint on my iPod, but I haven't really spent much time there myself inside those games. It's kind of distracting from the game to me.

And as a developer I've thought a lot about including OF in my games and I haven't decided to yet for the same reason, it takes you out of the game and into this whole other interface with its own graphics and feel, and for the most part it has more features than I really want. I don't really see the need for live chat rooms in my games, etc... although I'm definitely still undecided on the matter.

So having an extra page in OF that lists all the OF games (or the ones who pay OF to advertise there) seems like it's great and bad at the same time to me. Like, it's great to give extra publicity to the OF games, especially the more indie ones, and as a gamer I might be very interested in other games with the same social apects if that's what I'm into -- but on the other hand, as a developer deciding if I want to use OF, that's even more clutter I'd be adding to my game, clutter that might take people so much out of playing my game that they go off to buy someone else's game instead -- especially if all I really want is a global leaderboard and achievements or something.

7. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

The chat rooms can be disabled so that at least gets rid of some of the clutter :) That's what I like about cocosLive, you have to build the interface yourself so you can craft it to fit your design.

As far as this thread goes I can't see any reason not to add such a list, it will probably just end up being another list that the indy devs end up getting buried at the bottom of though. Especially given the vast number of OF supported games, and with more being added all the time.

8. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    #8 EssentialParadox, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    That's correct, I was reading interviews with their devs yesterday – they're an affiliate with Apple, so they take a share from Apple's 30% for the sale of an app someone purchased via OpenFeint. So it's a nice way to support OpenFeint.

9. Pheebau

Pheebau Well-Known Member

This is what Plus+ offers btw and Yes I think it would be great to have it in OF.
    (or/and have categories of games if the list ends up being too big)