Universal Monster Dash (by Halfbrick)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 18, 2010.

1. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    bought it and its fun but I wish you could control your jump better maybe with a double jump too

2. Champagne01

Champagne01 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Does anyone know if this has retina support? Nothing mentioned in the review etc... I am still surprised that so many new games don't support the retina display and was hoping this wouldn't be one of them...

3. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    At least it doesn't support app switching.

4. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    No I don't think it does.

5. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #145 eev, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    great game, much better than other games of this genre.

6. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    awesome game, but the icon isn't very nice IMHO

7. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    awesome game halfbrick fun and entertaining different levels and power ups reminds me of metal slug with just running and shooting lol but where are the monster facts

8. Egoyan

Egoyan Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Beijing/Montréal
    #148 Egoyan, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    I bought this game earlier today when it came out, and so far I am pleased, which is, for me, saying a lot of a high-score game.

As I said earlier in this thread, I am by no means a high-score gamer as I prefer a bit of a deeper gameplay experiences, and I'd never even bought one before Monster Dash. All the other games of this genre I had played (they are not many, I have to say), I got for free during promotions, and they'd never live very long on my iPod.

Maybe, obviously because I didn't play a lot of these games before, I can't be jaded by the genre and I can't say that I'm tired of it. But I am having a fun time with this one so far. I can't say, however, how long it'll keep me interested or how it compares to the big names of the high-score genre.

I know that the dev, Halfbrick, have an impressive record of keeping their previous game updated with lots of fresh content. Maybe it'll help keep me interested in this one.

A couple things I noticed while going through a first few runs:

The game needs new physical obstacles outside of spikes. The change may be only graphical, but spikes after spikes after spikes is boring. I'm thinking, pools of monstrous acid, bombs, that kind of happy things.

Another physical obstacle that could be fun to have is something that makes you bounce back if you fall on top of it. Trampoline, old mattresses, pile of corpses ;)... Maybe this one would be too frustrating to handle, however, as you would sometimes bounce back right into a pit and couldn't do anything about it. Just an idea.

New weapons and environment go without saying, but I'm pretty sure the dev are already hard at work on these ones.

Well, these were my my early impressions and feedback, from someone who usually doesn't like this type of game. You at least got me to enjoy your game guys, so I'd say great job here. :)

9. izeman

izeman Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
  10. zlibd

zlibd Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    New York
    Been playing and all I can say this is very fun, going for achievements give you an incentive to play with different strategies (trying to complete the run 2k without killing any monsters makes me feel like I'm playing canabalt in a sense).

Perhaps an option though to turn on temporary invincibility after being hit by an obstacle/monster. I tend to feel ransacked whenever there's a group of monsters

Just my two cents :)

11. HyphyCus

HyphyCus Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    No. Cali, US
    Needs more levels.

12. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    Nice, going to buy it SOON. :rolleyes:

13. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    It's a sweet game. Doesn't do anything wrong.
    Controls are nice, weapons are cool, graphics, music and sound are good.
    Somewhow it's missing a bit of personality, although I really love the comments after each death :)

I still like Chop Chop Runner a bit more.
    And somehow, Canabalt is watching from above knowing to be the true classic in this segment...

But that's just my taste. Good game and for the money a must for fans of these running games.

14. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    This is much > CCR.

@Kiran, how after all that constructive criticism do you rate this a 5/5? It seems you'd at least knock off a point for all of those negatives you brought forward.

15. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Love the hook champ reference. ("why couldn't I die wearing a cool hat")

I think for when you update it with new weapons/level themes you should make it so that you have to get OF achievements to unlock them it will add another dimension to the challenge rather than just survival. Also it might work if you add complete 'skins' for the game like 8-bit, vector, doodle etc.

16. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010

I gave it a four on five on the iTunes review, my friend. Wouldn't want to be oddly hypocritical :D

17. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Hahaha! I meant on your post on page 13 mate. It says 3. 5/5 for me so far.

I almost got 5000, 4970 to be exact! God damn me having to go to work.

18. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Good to see measurements in metres instead of feet. That the fair dinkum Aussie way mate!

Would be cool if in the stats screen next to each stat it showed your global ranking.

19. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    What do you guys make of John James from UK Big Brother over there?

20. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I don't see Solipskier on your Now Playing list. Gave up on it that fast? :p