Finding Playtesters?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MadeOfDinosaurs, Jan 3, 2017.

1. MadeOfDinosaurs

MadeOfDinosaurs Active Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Videogame Developer
    UK
    Hello! My current game is about at the stage where I think it's good fun, but could do with some unbiased feedback! I've a testflight build, and google play alpha should be soon!

I posted about it in the upcoming games thread, but it's fallen to page 2 with no response, so i am starting to tweet using #gamedev and #indiedev - again little pick up yet, but I'll keep trying :)

Anyway- my question is: does anyone have any suggestions for finding testers? Are there any groups out there? Do other devs find this a problem also?

Thanks!

Mikey

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #2 Nullzone, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Not a dev, but I do play/beta tests now and then.
    First, you posted during holiday season, so I do expect that at least some of the usual suspects are not around ;)
    Next, there's always a chance that noone is interested in testing your game.

I assume you refer to this post of yours: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=3957473
    No surprise that you don't get much/any feedback. You only mention that you look for testers in the last line - and not even in the title: TLDR, short attention span, and all that jazz :p

If you rework the post, afaik it'll stay in the abyss where it's currently parked. So I'd make a new one, with a clear headline and a clear call for testers right in line 1 or 2.

Tooting my own horn and all that, but I'll copy some advise I wrote a good while back so I don't have to do it all again:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3106330&postcount=5 - you want the second paragraph
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3729799&postcount=2831 - you want the part below "other platforms", it's still quite a piece :)

Addition:
    If you don't have a Twitter following already, I wouldn't expect any responses.
    I just took a look at the two hashtags: Crowded, and messy. High chance you just get pushed from the first page - and people's attention - by all those blinking graphics and videos.
    Same goes for trying stuff like Reddit, I dare say. You'll just be drowned out by the noise without an existing follower base.

3. MadeOfDinosaurs

Aug 30, 2011
    Videogame Developer
    UK
    Thanks very much! Some really useful points there. Appreciated!

4. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    FYI - I renamed the thread for you, so it's more obvious that you're seeking beta testers (You can't change the title yourself).

5. MadeOfDinosaurs

Aug 30, 2011
    Videogame Developer
    UK
    That's super lovely of you- thanks!