Things I hate about the Appstore.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by 5ku112, Jul 14, 2009.

1. 5ku112

5ku112 Active Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #1 5ku112, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    Im not generally hating on the Appstore itself but the content inside the appstore. The are lots of things I hate about whats in the appstore like reviews and bad apps as such but ill outline them here.

1.Storm8,PlayMesh,The Godfather.
    I hate these games soooo much! If your a fan of these games I cant blame you for choosing the app but its so stupid! All of the games are all the same they just have different backgrounds and play elements and have these expensive "Points" versions. To me its just cheap marketing of the same app.

2.Stupid reviews.
    Here are some examples:

-Says the game sucks but doesnt tell why.
    -Thinks every app is made by the developer.
    -Forgetting to choose the amount of stars.
    -Bawwwwing about crashing.
    -Doesnt know what firmware is
    -Doesnt know anything developing.

Just to name a few.

3.Repetitive apps.

http://ax.search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/search?entity=software&media=all&submit=seeAllLockups&term=ds+effects

All the same!

4.Foreign developers.
    The apps I have no problem with, but the descriptions are annoying! its hard to understand what the developers are trying to convey to you about their app or why they even bothered releasing in a different langauge enviroment. Localization is more then just running your product through google translator and slapping on the results, its about communicating your product to your customers.

5.Developers cheating the appstore.
    I especialy hate it when developers put in a huge list of keywords that contain names of popular app or a "currently playing" list it just really ticks me off when I see useless apps clogging my search results.

There's STILL more to complain about....:D

2. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Developers see what type of Apps the Market is interested in and make their own version, the same can be said of all of the Major Console Shooters as well. Just how it goes pal.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, I always get a chuckle when reading a GUSHING review where they completely missed the star thing and rate the app 1 star. If I get it right it now defaults to 3 (what took this simple change so long to catch on?).

4. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    1. Just don't play the game you don't like. I know there's lots of game like iMafia, but there's no way of complain.. if people are ready to pay for game like this, it's their choice.

2. I agreed with the stupid reviews, but what can we do?

3. I don't mind how it's a problem to have lots of app in the appstore. This is giving more choice. And this is probably making more competitive the atmosphere of developpers and I don't think that's bad for us :D.

5. 5ku112

5ku112 Active Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Have you tried a ds effects game yet? All the apps are basically the same!

6. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    DS Effects games are craptastic! Seriously they are almost as bad as Khalid Shaikh's games.

7. Pug4Death

Apr 21, 2009
    My post was direct at your first negative; I was basically saying that Developers jump on the train that they find to be more lucrative.

8. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Biggest pet peeve is people that post a request, bug, or question in the app store directed to the developer. Even if the dev happens to be in the same region and sees it, they have no way to actually reply to that person.

9. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    The thing I hate is the lack of quality games. The pricing is too competitive, anything over $9.99 simply wouldn't survive. I'd happily play $15 or more for PROPER games, full length RPGs and the like. And have the <$9.99 apps in a separate 'cheap' section of the app store.

10. Pug4Death

Apr 21, 2009
    It's all Apple's Fault, specifically their marketing campaign's. The way they advertise and update/upgrade the iPhone proves the previous statement correct.

11. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Has anyone here fallen victim to Khalid Shaikh?

I thought Apple could simply have no default star rating and if a reviewer doesn't rate it any number of stars then they could be reminded

12. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
  13. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

When developers promise updates but never deliver, or when incomplete games are released and never updated

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It existing. :mad:

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Oh, NICE ONE! I know more Games Entertainment has been slammed by many for dropping the ball on Orions, but, yeah, to me even worse is an app that IN IT'S OWN DESCRIPTION speaks of a glorious update that surely will never come. My personal poster child in this regard:

Sea Sick
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304313746&mt=8

Where is this promised v1.1? All attempts to reach Jojo Mobile have gone unanswered so far.

16. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    The rating system. Instead of it being based on averages, it's based on download. There should be an option to switch between the two. Also, for those that talk about a game getting three 5-stars compared to another that gets 500 reviews varying between 4-5 stars, the solution is simple, layer them. Place the games with the highest rating to number of reviews ratio and you're not too bad off.

17. Pug4Death

Apr 21, 2009
    Anybody forgetting the Approval system?

18. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    1) Lack of knowledge. (Defend your Castle is a rip-off of Stickwars. 1 star.)

2) Liers. (someone impersonated me, lol)

3) Yelling at the dev for Apples problems (update queue, update rejection)

4) Cheap-Os ($1.99 is too much, make it free)

19. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.
    i cant stand the fact their is no wish-list that just makes no sense.
    the reviews don't bother me i never read them unless its for fun they are a joke. if it wasn't for TA i would've gave up on the app store and just played monkey ball forever i don't know how the masses deal with the chaos

20. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    :mad::mad::mad: