Update feature. Good, or bad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by robertf224, Jun 12, 2009.

1. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    An advantage that the idevice has over other portable consoles is that developers can update their games. But is it an advantage? We may get new content and bug fixes, but in some cases it encourages developers to release their games before they are really finished, with the promise of an update later; one that may never come. Post your thoughts.

2. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I think there should be separate rules for indie devs, big companies, and everything in between.

The big companies have no excuse to not release perfect games from day one. They have the money, and the man power. Up-dates should not be an option for them.

The small indie dev should of course be allowed, as it gives them a chance to accumulate some revenue from version 1.0, in order to be able to continue all the hard work where they left off.

And I'm sure there is some grey area in between for those medium sized devs. Well, Apple should be able to think of a rule for them, no?

3. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    I think having updates is a benefit regardless of the fact that a developer might release it prematurely. This is because even if a developer releases an app early, and let's say 100 buy it. Maybe 10 of those people will leave a review. And assuming that they're actual reviewers, then if the apps bad then they'll give it a 1-3 star review. Apps that bad rarely get purchased. That's what the review system is for.

Plus, with the update system, the developers can give us more content which is even better. We don't have to pay for them either. Very single update that I've had is free. Don't even think any developers charges people for updates.

4. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    The only ones that have were like that big expansion for the quest and all those stupid mmo's. But in 3.0 we'll start getting charged for big updates, which is a good thing cuz it encourages the developer to make more content and be able to get paid for it so he'll work hard on it.

5. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Don't even get me started on MMO's. I don't have them on my iPod. I've played 2 before and I've deleted them since. Those developers are cranking them out too fast and too soon. There are Pets, Knights, Vampires, Werewolves, Pirates, Ninjas, and even more! And since there are about 5 different developers making MMO's, there's probably 2 or 3 versions of each one.

I guess the 3.0 OS update would be beneficial but also bad because I don't want to have to pay money for updates when I already bought the game.