Is it possible to backup app/save game data...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by blutrane, Aug 18, 2010.

1. blutrane

blutrane Member

Feb 25, 2010
    on a non jailbroken iPhone or is jail break my only option. I would rather not Jailbreak if I dont have to.

I know that restore from backup can restore app data but I want a clean restore then restore app data after the fact.

2. King Antonius

King Antonius Member

Aug 18, 2010
    As far as I'm aware it would be jailbreak only. Unless there is an app on cydia or rock, I guess you would have to ssh into the machine.

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    There is a jailbroken app called "AppBackup"

It saves all your games current data and puts them into .tar files. Which you then can SSH to your computer and save them.

Or leave them on the phone, and restore your games saved data back to them whenever you want.

It's pretty handy. I used to use it for saving game data so I could delete apps I hardly play off my device and not lose my progress. And if I ever came back to the game later, I would just reload the saved data back on and be right where I left off.

There's no way to save game data of individual games on a non-jailbroken phone though.

4. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    wish there was a way non jailbroken.. iv lost all my saved when i did a restore.. go figure.

chris.

5. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yes you can.

If you find the file on your computer, just copy it and paste it to 'My Documents' or something similar.

On PC, go to Computer > Users > Application Data then something like mobile etc.

Not sure on Mac

6. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I bought the premium version of mobilesyncbrowser. Works great. I'm on a mac, so I don't know if it works on a PC or not. It allows you to make a backup of 1 or more game folders. Then when you want to put them back on your device, install the app (which will not have the old game data), then do a restore from backup and select the backup for that game (puts the game data back on the device). Has a good tutorial and he responds quickly to questions.

There are a couple of disclaimers to it, but they just state that app may not work with firmware updates to the device. There's a way around this however.

7. blutrane

blutrane Member

Feb 25, 2010
    can you elaborate? any other suggestions?

8. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Open 'Run' and enter %APPDATA%\Apple Computer\

Then open Mobile Sync then Backup.

This is where all game save data is..

Copy the most recent folder here, then delete them all before resetting device.
    Make sure you definitely save a copy of your most recent backup.

9. Abi646

Abi646 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    I also have a few questions about this.
    So if I jailbreak my iPod touch I can automatically keep save files??
    Also, if I decide to unjailbreakand restore the iPod. And then I restore it from my latest backup, will it keep my save game files???

10. blutrane

blutrane Member

Feb 25, 2010
    wouldnt that restore the entire device and not the specific app data that I want?

11. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Woo is all of that I read here means that synchronize doesn't backup your idevice???? Are you sure of that?

12. mrholder

Aug 13, 2008
    It does, but if you delete an app, and reinstall it, no game data will be saved unless you restore from your last backup.

13. blutrane

blutrane Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I spoke with the developer of this app and it seems to do exactly what I want. I will try it tonight and report back here

14. mrholder

Aug 13, 2008
    Good to hear.

15. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Ha ok that's what I understood, even if I haven't seen yet where is the restore command because I haven't search.

I also noticed that if I buy a game on the idevice and delete it from it before any synch then I have lost it forever. That's really a crap.

16. blutrane

blutrane Member

Feb 25, 2010
    the app works really well.. I would recommend it to everyone!

17. mrholder

Aug 13, 2008
    You can download it again for free (apps that is/not songs). If you're not sure it downloaded the first time, try to write a review on the app. It will ask you to sign in with your password. If you can sign in to do that, then it did download and you can download it again for free if you forgot to sync it.