Pocket Informant free for the first time but...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by riChchestMat, Jan 27, 2014.

1. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

It's a crippled demo. Don't bother. From the small part I can use it's not very good. Like everything from this vendor it's over complicated and hard to use.

2. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    It's a great product for the power user, but yes, as of this update they've gone Freemium.

3. Wow, freemium bait and switching is going to non game apps too? That is sad.

4. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    yep IAP $14.99

TRY IT FOR FREE
    When people try out Pocket Informant, they fall in love with it. So we made it free for you to download and get a taste of what you can do. Once you realize there is no other app like it, you can upgrade to PI Premium with a SINGLE in-app purchase and unleash its full power!

The free version lets you use a single calendar, manage one Apple Reminder list, and store 15 PI tasks.

UPGRADE TO PREMIUM
    In addition to allowing unlimited calendars, Reminders and tasks, PI Premium adds the following:
    • Print your calendar (list format)
    • Sync with Google, Toodledo, and Evernote
    • Airdrop, Email or Message your events, tasks & notes
    • Rich Text Notes and Contact Management
    • Task Smart Filters

5. wingsofdestiny89

wingsofdestiny89 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012
    SG
    Not cool.

6. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Yeah, I generally stop supporting developers once they do this. Too bad my list has gotten a little song. Sad, you would think developers would know better than to screw over their previous fans and buyers...morally it's just ****ed up.

7. And it seems like it is happening so much nowadays. I think it is just causing people unfortunately to stop buying.

8. zdn1042

zdn1042 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    I might give this one a try just to test it out. Although I don't think any calendar apps could sway me to replace my Fantastical 2.

9. 1776-1865_RIP

1776-1865_RIP Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Another developer on the don't bother list.

10. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    i liked this tool ever since i used it on my old pocket PC, roughly a decade ago. I bought it for my iPhone a long time ago, and I use it on a daily basis.

Whatever you think of the new marketing technique, I think too.
    I do, however, believe that it is a great calendar app with a lots of great capabilities and rapid updates and upgrade.

P.S. I won't need to pay again, would I?

11. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    you had to pay before, so i dont know what the complaints are here ?
    They had a lite version - which cost money, and more money to upgrade to premium
    and a premium version - which also cost money.

All they have done is merge the two, you still have to pay if you want the premium version, but now at least you can try it, without paying.

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am confused. I am currently using the old version of the full Pocket Informant. Does this mean that if I update, I end up with a demo version until I buy IAP to unlock it?

So do not ever update?

iPadusesPocketInformantHeavily...

13. Karma32

Karma32 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    You originally had to pay for this app for all the features from the beginning. They turned an app people have paid full price for already and turned it into freemium. So if something happens to their device and backup doesn't work as well or they want to put the app on a new device, they would have to pay for it again cause their's no record of them paying for the app at full price.

How are you not understanding the complaints. People don't like to pay twice for something they already paid for.

14. blahdo

blahdo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    According to the changelog, you would get the premium version if you paid before so it's not really freemium.

And they said that you can email them if you have problems upgrading.

15. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #15 dclose, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    And according to the changelog, this appears to be the same app since version 1 and on the surface it looks like every Pocket Informant owner has been receiving free updates all this time--only that's not true! When they released Pocket Informant, version 3.0, they released it as a separate app and pulled/discontinued the old Pocket Informant (version 2) which ran on iPhone. I know, I paid full price for the iPhone version, and when 3 was "updated"/released, I was expected to pay $13 again for this "new" and very separate app. And that iPhone version I was using was, to that point, the identical full-featured program as was then running on the iPad (which became Pocket Informant 3.0). It wasn't a demo/crippled/lite version--it was the real thing and it simply disappeared! I declined to pay again and switched to WeekCal instead.

16. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    #16 soup, Jan 28, 2014
    There was an orginal pocket informant - just premium - i bought it.
    It was updated several times, but did not update it to ios 7.

The new version 3, was released in Feb 02 '13 for approx $8.00 (it varies between that and $14) - this was a paid for upgrade (maybe blame apple a bit here with there stupid no paid update policy).
    This has now gone to free, and version 3.5, if you bought the previous version 3 (not 1 or 2) you will be automatically upgraded to premium in this version. If it does not work automatically, get in touch with them and they will sort it out.
    A lot of people were pissed off about the jump from 2-3, much as people were annonyed when omnifocus did it, and clear.
    But that was another problem, purely due to apples stupid policy.
    This is different, so much so, that although i was also annoyed about the paid jump from 2 -3 and did not do it, i can now try the new version cos its free - to try!
    And i did like the old version, so if this is any could i will then happily buy the premium iap.

Especially with expensive apps, this model actually makes a lot of sense, its not a 99c game where you buy in game currency.
    If both Things and Omnifocus did this too, i suspect they would sell a lot more apps, cos no one wants to risk $10 or more on something, they then hate.

I am nothing to do with the firm btw
    Here review of 3
    http://www.appcraver.com/app-news/pocket-informant-3-the-best-eventtasknote-app-made-even-better/
    and here an explanation for the price jump between 2 - 3
    http://webis.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/124/2/pocket-informant-for-iphone---where-is-it
    - and i think this is a fair point
    We initially released Pocket Informant for iPhone in March 2009. For over 4 years, we delivered regular, free updates and made a lot of incredible enhancements from what version 1.0 originally was.

17. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Not really sure why this thread exists on the deals forum. Am I missing something? We typically don't advertise paid apps that went freemium or changed pay models. It's usually someone posts about a great app/game going free then it's discovered in the process that it just updated to no longer be a premium app.

18. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    from the PI website:

source

The new version 3.5 requires iOS7. If you run iOS6 (like I am) then last version is 3.31.50

I agree. title of thread totally mislead me

19. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Tag the thread (red triangle) and ask that it be moved to iOS apps then. An existing thread for it doesn't already exist there as far as I can tell.

20. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #20 Rip73, Jan 28, 2014
    I'd have to agree with all they say.
    I've had it since, well, since it's been there because the original iPhone calendar was just too crappy for my work and this provided the functions I needed in a productivity related app.
    I was a bit pee'd off at the change from 2 to 3 but was still very happy with the overall product once I did the switch. And to be fair, for whatever I paid for it first day, I got a lot of free updates and an awful lot of usage out of it. And every time over the years I've had to buy a new Microsoft Outlook Enterprise package has proved substantially more expensive.

This is to me of the best productivity apps available in the App Store and I can understand their strategy.
    While the current update doesn't affect me personally as I already had the Premium package, the previous one did and at the end of the day, that was well worth it as well and very understandable for one who is regularly buying new versions of PC software packages all the time anyway.
    It is after all productivity related and not a game so the bait and switch freemium type policy doesn't really apply.
    Windows, Apple OS, Office and just about any other PC software have done the new version thing for many years now.
    Yes, I know that's changing but if PI wants new customers and new revenue, this is how they have to do it.

Either way though, it is an excellent productivity tool (one of the best) and would easily recommend at least trying it out and anyone in business or with multiple calendars will definitely benefit from getting the premium add on.
    Its an excellent task manager as well for multitaskers with all the necessary synching options.
    It does more but the calendar and task managers and associated synching make things a lot easier to coordinate. And to be fair, they always seem to be improving and updating.

And to be very fair, it's still a premium app just with built in free to try model. Basically the self same model I've seen many people want to see in games. Free to try and use in a limited way and a one off full unlock. More than a bit odd that this kind of fair model is being criticised at all.