Charging For App Updates

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Attackid, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Attackid

Attackid Active Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Hello

Sorry wonderful people for disturbing your day but I just had to ask this question. All appstore updates are for free I have never heard or seen an update that requires payment. I'm not talking about IAP just if a company released a new update for their game and it has to be payed for. Unless the game was originally free, guess I just answered my own question but I'll post this anyway for other people's thought's and opinion's.

Cheers

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Unless the update is to add IAP. ;)

3. Apptuar

Apptuar New Member

Feb 15, 2011
    They could release the new version as a separate app if they want to charge for it.

4. n8equalsd

n8equalsd Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    #4 n8equalsd, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    I used to think that because it would always say "free" for an update. But after 4.2.1 it now says "update". So I would guess they can't.

5. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    A developer could charge less for a sequel to the origimal fans of a game by allowing the sequel to be purchased through an IAP for less cost than buying the sequel otherwise would be. Cannot say ive ever heard of such a thing though

6. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Every update must be free. However, a developer could release an update that does nothing more than add IAP. The update would be free to download, but not free to play.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I've never seen an app that charged you to update...and I've had 1200+ apps in my library.

8. philo

philo Member

Feb 17, 2011
    I'm not sure the ability to charge for updates exists?

As a developer, I think you're choices are:
    - release an update for free
    - release a new version of the product as a separate app
    - introduce IAP

Can't see anything wrong with this system. I would be VERY reluctant to pay for an update that simply solved a couple of bugs. For significant content upgrades (where the dev wants to charge), IAP offers that function without alienating any of your userbase.