Poker Tower - 8-Bit Poker & Match-3 game [Beta testers needed!]]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Raph3Arts, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Raph3Arts

Raph3Arts Well-Known Member

#1 Raph3Arts, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

The game will be released on February 28th!

Hi guys!

I'm really proud to talk to you today about the very first game I have created yet that is about to come out on the App Store, that I've named Poker Tower! This game is made from a mix of two popular iOS game types such as Poker and Match-3 games, and the primary goal of the game is to create poker hands! You do such by combining cards shown on the screen on a 4x5 grid by touching them one after the other to make the best score possible!

There's also multiple game modes here for you to have hours and hours of intense fun and to make the game fits your taste, such as :

-Time Attack : In 1, 2, 3, 5 or 10 minutes, you must do the best score possible! No Restriction.
    -Tower Mode : Each time you score points, a row is added at the bottom of the screen. Don't let the cards reach the top or it's game over!
    -Survival Mode : This RPG-like game mode puts you against multiple enemies that deals you damage time after time, and you must survive the longer possible!
    -Challenge Mode : With only a deck of 52 regular cards, you must do the best score possible!

The main features of the game are :
    -4 game modes (and more to come!!)
    -Full statistic screen allow you to check every stats the game register about your progress!
    -Help screen helping you to understand the basics of the game
    -Game Center Integration with Achievements and leaderboards to let you compete against other players
    -Big Finger Option : Avoid unwanted touches by activating this function if you have big fingers!

Screenshots :
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

***I HAVE ALL MY TESTERS NEEDED, THANKS!!***
    Selected and Active testers will receive a free copy of the game once released and, if everything goes well, iTunes gift card will be given to best one(s)!

Good luck, and I'm open to any comments! :)

2. Raph3Arts

#2 Raph3Arts, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    Update Post

**This post will be edited every time I have news about the game**

UPDATE - 02/17/13

I've finally been able to submit Poker Tower to Apple, and if everything goes fast, I'll release it on february 21, else it will be on february 28! I'll keep you in touch once I'll get news for you!

UPDATE - 02/12/13

I've just uploaded the version 0.98, including those changes :
    -New icons, thanks to my girlfriend!
    -Credits screen completed with a link to our website
    -The cards are now filled horizontally, avoiding big holes at the end of a challenge game
    -Tutorial Mode - Added more steps to explain the different hands possible
    -Options Screen - You can now reset achievements without reseting the stats
    -Options Screen - Reseting stats don't bring you to Main Menu anymore
    -Survival Mode - Color hands don't do damage anymore
    -Survival Mode - New monsters name!
    -Survival Mode - Delay before new monster info is shown, showing the score got from the killed monster
    -Survival Mode - Boss system added - Slight chance of all stats doubled
    -Tower Mode - No more lag when game over
    -Tower Mode - An alert is now shown when a column is full
    -New achievement : Cleaner - Clean the screen in Challenge mode!
    -Some minor bug fix

UPDATE - 02/02/13

New version 0.90 uploaded today for the Beta testers, including those changes :
    -Survival Mode - Showing monsters info don't pause the game anymore
    -Survival Mode - Reduced the number of blood particles to avoid FPS drop
    -Survival Mode - Some stats tweaking
    -Survival Mode - Monsters don't attack in real time anymore, they attack after few hands
    -Really simple Tutorial Mode included (Accessible via the Help Screen)
    -Speeded up the filling of the table
    -Tower mode - Limited the use of colors to avoid infinite play

UPDATE - 01/29/13

Score & Leaderboards mechanism are 100% working now in the game, and when you're not online, it will try to re-upload the scores every time you re-enter the game or try to enter Game Center screen. The game have a total of 10 leaderboards for you to compare scores with the others, including Total Score, Total Time Played, and all game modes high scores. I'll probably add more leaderboards for the other stats later on, this will depend if I judge them useful or not! Achievements to come soon!

And don't forget that beta test subscription are still going on and you can enter by following the link in the first post of this thread!

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Will these stats be displayed locally as well so I can see my best in all categories even without an online connection?

4. Raph3Arts

Totally! Every stats are stored on the iPhone in a file and when you access the stat screen, 3 pages of stats are loaded from this file (you can see an example of this screen in the screenshots I posted in the first thread) There is currently 32 stats, and surely more to come if the testers give me suggestion!

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Nice! As GC is limited to just 25 leaderboard per app, I guess the trick will be figuring the most relevant and possibly not use all 25 right off if you want to save space for additional modes or tweaks in the future.

6. Raph3Arts

Exactly! In the 32 stats of the game, there's like 12 stats about the combinations made, 3 about ratios (Score/Minutes, Score/Games and Score/Hands) and I don't think that those are not really relevant, that's why I have limited the leaderboards to the 10 most interesting (and competitive) stats that the game register!

7. Raph3Arts

Alrighty guys! I've decided to begin earlier the beta test period, since the beta build is ready for it! I've sent you an invitation e-mail for TestFlight, and you should be able now to install and play Poker Tower!!

Have fun, and you can post anything you want on this thread about the game (i.e Comments about the game, what I should improve, etc.!) But I would prefer receiving bug reports through e-mail!

P.S I'm still recruiting beta testers even if the beta test has begun, so don't be shy to subscribe if you haven't yet!!!

Happy gaming!

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Just to be clear, you should probably PM the chosen folk the email address you'd like us to send bugs and impressions to.

9. Raph3Arts

Yes, I'm currently writing the e-mail with the instructions on how and where to send bug reports, and what to test, it should be sent in about 5 minutes!

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

This game, in its current form, is already a hoot and a half!

Draw a line through up to 5 cards to make a poker hand and the cards are removed (at least as I see in the Tower Mode so far). As each hand is scored, the rest of the cards push up from the bottom one space. So on the surface, a bit like Spell Tower but with poker hands. I love how they've even invented some NEW scoreable options to the standard poker rankings. Like a Same Color Straight (not a Straight Flush, but all of the cards are at least the same color) or simply the ability, for very few points, to make a hand of 5 same colored junk for minimal points to score a tiny amount of points (less than even a Pair).

One part not clear yet is how the multipliers work. I think they're earned by making one of the game's higher ranking hands, but am not sure nor do I get how to maintain them once in effect.

On top of this core fun game are all of the game's very fun statistics like average score per hand and other nitty gritty little stats that are just fun to muse over at the end of a game.

Now onto the other game modes! :D

11. Raph3Arts

Thank you really much for you appreciations of the game so far :D

And yes, you are right about the multiplier : the multiplier doubles each time you score a "High-Grade" hand (Color straight or higher). If you want to know what are the high grade hands, you can go in the help screen, under the section Combinations. Also, you'll hear a different sound when you play a High-Grade Hand!

Once again, thank you for your great review :D

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

Doh, just to get this out there. The game is a little confused by the iPhone 5's taller screen (actual impact point tends to be some quarter inch above where you actually press).

Raph3Arts is on this issue and plans to have it corrected in the next build.

13. Raph3Arts

Hi Tim! The issue has been addressed, you can log into test flight and download the new build 0.86 right now, it should be uploaded :)

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, working spot on now! :D

15. Raph3Arts

Nice to hear! It's kinda hard to test for the iphone 5 on the simulator, so that's nice you are here to test it :)

Right now I am working on the tutorial, and expect a new build in the next few days :p

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So do the monsters in Survival have any sort of unique abilities or are they just rated on their health and damage?

It might just be me but I'd far prefer their damage to be delivered every few hands rahter than in real time.

17. Raph3Arts

Right now, the "monsters" concept is just here for you to fight something, so there's no abilities, but that is clearly something I'd like to include later on (don't know if it will be in the release version though)

And for your second remark, I my self thought that it would be better this way and I'll probably change it later on!

Right now I'm currently working on the tutorial, which is going to be really nice, and expect a build in few days :)

18. Raph3Arts

Welcome guys!

For the weekend, I've uploaded the version 0.90, with these changes :

-Survival Mode - Showing monsters info don't pause the game anymore
    -Survival Mode - Reduced the number of blood particles to avoid FPS drop
    -Survival Mode - Some stats tweaking
    -Survival Mode - Monsters don't attack in real time anymore, they attack after few hands
    -Tutorial Mode included (Accessible via the Help Screen)
    -Speeded up the filling of the table
    -Tower mode - Limited the use of colors to avoid infinite play

Have Fun :D

19. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Looks like my kind of game. :p It looks to be coming along really well, thank you dev and everyone! Can't wait to buy and play it. :)

20. Raph3Arts

Thanks Andy for your support :) If everything goes as planned it should be released by the end of february, but I won't hesitate to release it sooner if it's ready :p