Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Added everyone. :)

Also, Katamari is really good if you like Katamari. The analog sticks work well and the game is bizarre as ever. It really is a great version and it plays smoothly. The new stretch/contract ability is pretty good, there are a couple of leveled to it so you can actually vary the size a little. If you like Katamari and haven't grown tired of the series, I'd say get it.

2. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #462 Pacificsun0481, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    You should get Ninja Gaiden Sigma +, it's amazing on Vita. It runs at the native resolution, it looks sharp and beautiful. It made a really nice translation in play on the Vita too.

Rayman Origns is also beautiful, you can pinch on the screen and zoom in as you play it's amazing to see the beautiful art of the game in the OLED.

Add everybody add me to your Vita PSN:

Pacificsun0481

3. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
  4. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    The Unit 13 demo was soo good! Although everything feels a little zoomed in.. I wish you could see more of the characters body. Although that doesn't ruin everything i just wish they had an option for a wider view

5. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

#465 mashead2000, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    Launch Purchases
    Uncharted
    Fifa
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
    Rayman Origins
    Motorstorm RC
    Escape Plan

Cant wait for Unit 13, check out my twitter for some screens of my wallpapers ive been making :)

And i have to agree with the comments above, i much orefer Vita to IOS, hate the throwaway game market the appstore has become-pay then play for a day and delete, no game truly grips me anymore, but i can definately see myself completing many of these games,esp Uncharted and bought the map to go with it off the psn store lol must have imo

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Frakk...no I can't...

Spending too much money...plus I won't even have time to play all these games. I'm concentrating on Gears of War 3 and soon Mass Effect 3.

7. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
  8. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    The iOS bubble has burst, as I predicted all along it would. There are a handful of decent games, but virtually none with a substantial level of depth. M.U.S.E, Reckless Racing 2, Combat Arms, Smash Cops, Paper Monsters are all games I've purchased recently. None of these titles can compete on a grand scale with Vita games.

I've got Uncharted, Dynasty Warriors Next, Mod Nation Racer, Wipeout, F1 2011, Virtua Tennis 4, and Little Deviants.

Unit 13 has a vibrant, almost Retina feel to it's graphics. There's some jaggies present though. A little jarring, the lack of AA. Still, it looks impressive none the less. I think it supports a higher resolution then most Vita games to date.

The actual core gameplay worries me. The demo left the impression of repetitive gameplay. All you did was run from one objective to the next, shooting a handful of enemy soldiers along the way. You press a button to complete each objective, then rinse and repeat and do the same thing all over again. Variety is the spice of life and I'm just not seeing it here. Granted, it is only a demo.

I hate the lack of a single player, story-driven campaign mode, although perhaps I could live without it. I noticed there is a lot of in-mission Com chatter and I wonder if some sort of cohesive story gets told this way. I want these missions to somehow be linked together and not be entirely standalone. Some broad, arching narrative. Even without cutscenes, they could still use all of this Comlink chatter as a crude narrative device

9. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Unit 13 doesn't run at full resolution- it runs at a similar resolution to Uncharted. Games I have that run full resolution are: WipEout 2048, Rayman: Origins (this game looks amazing on the Vita's screen), Escape Plan, Super Stardust: Delta, and Escape Plan.

Have to agree about iOS gaming kind of losing steam. The games just aren't that fun any more. I've bought a bunch of recent iOS games, but don't play any of them. Last game I played a LOT was Infinity Blade II, and I got bored with that after I beat it once. iOS gaming was a lot better in 2010 and early 2011. The Mass Effect game looks good though.

10. Wipeout doesn't run in native resolution either, but it looks so good in motion that you probably won't ever notice. I agree with the iOS gaming sentiment though.

11. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Really? I could've sworn I read that it did. Either way, it looks really good. Is there anti-aliasing on it? Because I know that all the other upscaled games have some noticeable aliasing, and I haven't noticed any in WipEout.

Out of all the games I've played so far, Rayman has to be the best at showing how beautiful the Vita screen is (it helps that Origins is a beautiful game). It's so crisp and clear and the colors are really vivid.

12. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't think Wipeout is native, you probably just don't notice it since it's so fast.

As far as iOS, I'll have fond memories, it was a good time. I'm sure I'll dabble into some puzzle games here and there, but no where near as much as before.

I think maybe those that are not so casual may have been distracted, but the 3DS and especially Vita can cater to those needs.

As far as Unit 13, I'm guessing the game is pretty much this structure. The cool think is it seems like each mission can be played differently depending on who you choose and what load out they are using. It's more score based so leaderboards play a big part in the game structure. I can't wait to get some co-op play going, that looks to be a blast!

13. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Yeah. I think my all time favorite iOS games were Space Miner (best iOS game ever imo), Dead Space, Ravensword (doesn't really hold up compared to newer games), and Galaxy on Fire 2. Junk Jack would be on the list, but I lost all my data (an update caused corrupt save) and became completely uninterested.

Lately, most iOS games seem to be sequels that are pretty much the same as their predecessor, freemium games and a bunch of knock-offs/clones. Really just want a new, fun, polished experience. Sequels are fine, but if it looks identical to the last game, I'll pass. What I've noticed is that I've bought a lot of iOS games, played them a bit and then set them aside for something else- and they just keep piling up. I think I'm just going to take a break from it for a few months and see what happens.

14. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Well if it doesen't run at the native resolution it certainly runs verry close to it, alot closer than for example Unit 13 where things really look pixelated.

I'd also like the camera to be zoomed out more in Unit 13 btw!

15. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    Bought a US PS Vita, Screen Protector, Uncharted Golden Abyss R1, PS Vita Case and 16GB MMC today. :)

[​IMG]

16. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    While I won't deny the vita is a superior gaming Platform compared to iOS, I would not say the iOS bubble has burst. Quite the the opposite, there's just way too many iOS devices out there and the gaming market is still probably the most lucrative out the for publishers when it comes to a mobile platform.

iOS wasn't made to be a game platform anyways, it has games in addition to a number of other things it does perfectly.

For me nothing will replace my iPhone or iPad for a daily user, I like the quick games it offers on the go or sitting in class. If I'm home and looking for a deeper gaming expierence I'll pull out my vita, but it I had a choice to bring just one device for me on the go and I'm taking all things into consideration (an all around device) I'd probably leave my vita and bring my iPad or iPhone. BUT since I carry a backpack everywhere with me I bring all three now. :cool:

17. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

Ninja Gaiden Sigma + runs at full resolution

18. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Have fun! Also did you buy the wifi only vita or wifi and 3G? just curious

19. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Going to GameStop to check out the PS Vita today. Should be interesting.