Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-21-2014, 12:53 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_envoys View Post
Thanks spajdr!!! I'll not update to ios 8.1 then
I stopped at 7.1.2, did a JB to my 4S to be able to semi-restore to 7.1.2 in case something goes wrong with my install, and I'm extremely happy with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnn10 View Post
tbh... ehhh. ive considered downgrading but the new features are nice. the phones performance is very subpar tho

there are a couple annoying glitches that occur, for example when you double tap to open up the apps if you do it really fast or too slow the app screen opens and then immediately closes back to the app you were last in so it makes switching apps kind of annoying cause you have to do it 4 or 5 times. the battery life is also horrendous, seeing as my battery is already old and needing replacing ios8 just made it that much worse. from a full 100% charge if im using apps or browsing safari i can go from 100-20 in like an hour and a half. a 4s with a new battery would probably be slightly better but i still would not recommend it. basically you need to always be shutting your apps down religiously or your battery will be draining constantly

there are also a lot of problems with ios8 updated apps. since the apps are designed around a 5/6/6plus phone screen the text can appear a little large or small on the 4s, also ios8 updated apps can crash pretty frequently i guess due to the 4s's older hardware. im trying to think of other glitches ive experienced... oh yes the most glaring one that i forgot to mention is lag. my god it makes the 4s so laggy which probably explains the app opening issue. whereas in 7 it took maybe half a second to open safari now it takes almost 2, everything is about twice as slow in terms of response time. playing music and opening a web browser is almost impossible, more specifically if you're listening to music from a youtube video in the background and trying to use an app. its so slow that its basically impossible, it freezes for like 10 seconds and my phone just crashes. also definitely turn off the text predicting feature that apple implemented in 8 because it just makes texting twice as laggy

overall i would not recommend upgrading to 8 on the 4s unless you have an exceptional battery and are ok with the laggy performance. im okay with mine because i will be getting a 6 soon and i really love some of the new ios8 features, such as no more clicking "load earlier messages" in text threads, its automatic. plus the time lapse camera is pretty nice and there are a lot of more small subtle things that i like
This is exactly why I'm more than happy stopping on 7.1.2 for my 4s. I had already read about these issues, but you've made it crystal clear for me. Thanks!

Last edited by VirtualBoyFreak; 10-21-2014 at 01:42 PM..
Old 10-21-2014, 05:17 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I have Pokemon Crystal, Wario Ware Twisted, and Pokemon Pinball: R&S, and frankly would rather play them on my phone instead of taking my GBA around with additional carts and batteries. With several hours spent on each of those, 8.1 doesn't sound worth it at this point. I think the only 8.1 feature I want/need is the return of the camera roll, so it's not such a problem yet.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:22 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstout View Post
Ok thats me not updating 8.1
There's a lot of talk now because JB for iOS 8 & 8.1 was made available today, just around 35 days after the iOS release. Of course, it's not the same as having a usable rollback-date bug to install apps on a non-JB device if you don't want to JB, and there seems to be some problems with the JB (Cydia not iOS8 ready yet, for example) but it helps if you are into emulators...
Old 10-22-2014, 03:40 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Will they upload it to Cydia so I don't have to change the date back and all that?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:04 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaroFN View Post
Will they upload it to Cydia so I don't have to change the date back and all that?
There are some sources which make it available through Cydia. I just googled it and the dev seems not to like the idea of having his emu on Cydia, but there are some sources/repos which make it available through there though.

If your unfamiliar with Cydia, sources/repos, etc., google to see how JB and Cydia works. I didn't know anything about it some weeks ago, but after a lot of read I learnt about what's secure and what isn't regarding JB.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:29 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Just found that the author said in his blog that it's indeed coming to Cydia with the 2.1 multiplayer update.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:23 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaroFN View Post
Just found that the author said in his blog that it's indeed coming to Cydia with the 2.1 multiplayer update.
That's great then
Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 PM
In Time-Out

Jailbreak is on ios 8?? Oh yeah, NDS, PSP & GBA 😎 PPPSSPP updated for metal; that'd be freaking sweet, God of war on my 5S!