Feedback on our animation and overall presentation please.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Shaz, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

#1 Shaz, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
    Greetings all. So we've been working non stop on a new game recently. But after you've looked at something so many times every day it becomes harder to evaluate.

So can you offer some feedback on this stage of development. In particular, the animation and overall presentation. And no I'm not looking for a pat on the back but constructive criticism :cool:

Our aim is that when the game is finished it can stand shoulder to shoulder with
    mobile games made by the bigger studios.

Cheers

UPDATE: JULY 2012
    We had a lot of feedback on the run animation. So we changed it to make the main character more upright.

2. Markus Hanka

Markus Hanka Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Freelance 2D Artist
    Beijing
    Hello, I write only some short notes. I hope it doesn't come across unfriendly.

There should be the logo of the game right at the start
    Typo instead looks like a bad power point presentation

The moving of the camera in the intro animation seems overall wrong
    no use of depth of field. Everthing is in focus. no sense of size and distance
    the motion of the camera zooming out is really weird and jumpy
    the boss is painted too crooked and unsymetrical to look big and impressive
    the surface of the boss looks dull. this is increasing the impression that he is rather small
    though there is the woman standing in the foreground, she is obscured by the background
    there is no ground shown giving a sence of depth and size
    The eyes and mouth of the girl staring up should be animated
    her shoulders are wrong
    overall the colours are too grey and unattractive

the following 60 seconds ingame scenes are too long
    it is all the same scene. At some point I'm starting to think this one screen is the whole game and getting bored. I have seen it all so why play the game?
    30 sec should be more than enough
    the ending is bad for the same reasons as the start. those clouds are ugly

overall it makes an amateurish impression

3. HeliApps

HeliApps Well-Known Member

The thing that straight out doesn't look right to me is her stance when running forward ... seems too extreme (the forward lean)

4. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Hi Markus - no don't worry your feedback doesn't come across as unfriendly. I actually prefer it when people give me their feedback in a straightforward and honest way, as you have.

There's a lot to think about there so thanks for taking the time to list what you'd change about the game so far.

As we develop the game more I'm sure we'll be adjusting and refining many things.

Cheers.

5. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

I have heard that from someone else too - so one more thing for us to think about, cheers.

6. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Hi,

- I would change the running animation too. The blur effect looks nice, but either she should run faster or not lean forward that much.
    - I think the sprites are a bit offset, because when she changes direction, she seems to teleport a little bit and not turn around her own center.
    - The graphics are a bit strange. I'm nor sure why. I think you should either make it clear that all of the game looks like it was hand drawn, or try to hide it some more (maybe by adding some more color), because tbh. especially the very first image of the character looks like it's a concept drawing rather then a final product (around 0:06 it's much better).
    - The sound effects are fine. Consider adding some fighting screams and combo effects.

7. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Ah yeah, you're right about the offset - well observed :)

But not quite sure what you mean by either making the hand drawn graphics more clear or hiding them.

Thanks for the feedback.

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    The biggest problem with hand drawn art is that it often tends to look half finished.

Especially if the edges are not properly clean. Biggest beef i would have with the game so faar are the animations and the physics. The females movement looks wrong, somehow too floaty, like she weights nothing.

So how she moves and what it looks like is oddly off imho.

9. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

#9 Shaz, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
    Hmm, seems quite a few people think the look of the movement doesn't feel right.

I'm glad I posted the video here - all the opinions given will be be useful so we can make the game better.

Cheers

EDIT: Do the same general criticisms apply to the first vid too? (see above in first post)

10. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    the first video was the boss fight?

or you mean your running video..

and yes there it applies aswell but of course the is not doing as much acrobatics.. but for example she floats again.. if you check her leg movement and then see how slow the floor scroll you see she is either running to slow animation wise or moonwalks on half of her moves..

the question is where you want to be headed.. realism or over the top action animation.. but no matter the "weight" of things must be right..

for example if you look at cartoon action series whatever manga stuff.. there is usually good weight in the animations.. especially if they do over the top stuff.. so if you make a mega jump and jump physicall 10 metres ingame, but use a generic "hop" animation it feels off..

you need to show the "power" that goes into the move.. bending your knees, stiffening your muscles and then boom.. jump upwards like an japanese manga kid on steroids..

the same can be said about the forward lean.. this much forward lean can work optically.. but hell she must be alot quicker running that on the videos.. more like this guy

[​IMG]

and he is very fast..

11. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

All good points there - thanks for the detailed feedback. And yes by first video I meant the runner video.

Yeah, anime is a big influence on this game so that kind of exaggerated physical prowess is what we're going for.

It's an ambitious game for us but I'm confident that we can go back to our desks, think about what we need to do to improve it, and then implement some changes so it reached the level of quality we are going for.

12. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

new vid

Ok so we have a new video.

I took on board some of the advice you all gave and made everything faster. As well as making the gameplay more fun it looks better.

So the rate at which the character moves across the screen is faster. And the frame rate for her animation cycles is quicker too. I adjusted the jumping a bit too. There are also some new environments with different colour schemes.

Also we just launched it on IndieGoGo. Which is similar to kickstarter but is easier to set up for someone based in the UK.

13. Justin@PhykenMedia

Justin@PhykenMedia Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Project Manager
    While I never saw the original video, I do have some feedback for the new video:

- The first thing is that when she is running normally her feet move faster than she is actually moving in the level. This may be why others have said that the movement doesn't feel right. Compare this to when she moves very fast (not sure what else to call it but it's when she leaves a trail behind her when running) because that movement looks right to me.

- The second thing is that I am not the biggest fan of the intro to the video. While the art is well done, I don't get the feeling I'm watching a trailer until the gameplay parts start. My suggestion would be to start the video with just the title of the game and nothing else on screen.

Overall though it's looking good!

14. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback! Hmm, I'll have to take another look at her animation vs scrolling speed.

Be interested to hear if other peeps agree with you.

15. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

new run animation

So a lot of people thought the main character was leaning over too much for her standard run.

Here's the new adjusted version where she is more upright when running at normal speed. Any thoughts?

16. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    The art looks splendid overall, and I feel a bit bad for picking the run cycle apart, but it's still a bit off...

What you have is a figure with pretty much realistic humanoid proportions. Fun neuroscience fact: the human brain isn't so great at differentiating between things that are "real" and "not real" on a visual level. When you see a human silhouette, with roughly the right proportions, your brain assumes that it's a real person. That's why walk/run cycles can be so darn tricky with a realistic figure. The second you see something like this, you are subconsciously comparing it to a typical person walking, because it gives you a wealth of clues about that person's health and state of mind.

In your case, your character is arching her back in a way that's not conductive to moving quickly or comfortably. Just try it: bend your back in that position and attempt to move at a fast pace. A bit difficult, because it puts additional strain on your lower back, right?

My advice would be, since you're working with a correctly proportioned human figure, look up a lot of reference of real people running. You will notice the natural posture that a runner assumes and be able to incorporate it into the cycle with ease. Don't be afraid to snap pictures of a friend going through running movements for reference! And in general, any time something looks off art or animation-wise, seek good reference; it will help you more often than not.

Here's a thing: http://keetsa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/runner.jpg

Good work so far, and good luck!

17. Justin@PhykenMedia

Justin@PhykenMedia Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Project Manager
    Definitely moving in the right direction! It's come a long way in the last few weeks!

Revolving Door provided some great feedback and explained it a lot better than I ever could. I can't wait to see what the final game will look like!

18. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for such a detailed explanation of how/why you think it needs to improve more. Don't feel bad for it, I appreciate the help :)

I'm doing the design, programming and music but art is not my realm so it's good to get the opinion of other artists on what we have so far.

Cheers, yeah it feels like we're making progress. Still a lot to do but it's gradually coming together. Been in contact with a couple of electronic musicians too. So we may end up having a soundtrack with contributions from a bunch of cool indie outfits.

19. Bigmac1910

Bigmac1910 Member

Jul 13, 2012
    I think you guys need an animator, pretty much all the motion she does looks unnatural. Especially her posture, her back is too stiff, with only the arms moving. Also the parallax scrolling backgrounds, you need to adjust the speed of them, cause it doesn't look natural either.

20. varun123

varun123 New Member

Jul 13, 2012