★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Nintendo Switch

03-19-2017, 07:48 AM
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C83 View Post
Blaster Master Zero Eurogamer review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-nes-vs-switch
OK, I'm sold - but I'm not going to do as I do on iOS, and build up a massive backlog! At least one of the three Shovel Knight games before something new...

2017 GOTY nominations: SAO: Memory Defrag, Death Road to Canada, Spaceplan
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589
03-19-2017, 04:58 PM
I finally had some time to play Blaster Master and I'm really pleased with it. So far it is basically the same as the original with some new story elements. I really liked the original but I never completed it because of the insane difficulty and lack of save points or password system. Blaster Master Zero remedies that with save points so I should be able to complete it this time. Also, they have added a map which is a big help.

If you don't know much about the gameplay, it's similar to Metriod. There are certain areas of the levels that are inaccessible until you fight a boss and acquire an upgrade for your vehicle. Within the levels you'll find doors that you'll have to exit your vehicle to enter. When you enter these doors, the view changes to top down and it's almost like a 2D Zelda dungeon minus the puzzles. These dungeons are where you will fight the bosses and receive your vehicle upgrades.

Overall, if you're into retro games like me, it's definitely worth $10. It's been a great diversion from BotW.

Last edited by RHess00; 03-19-2017 at 07:29 PM.

03-20-2017, 03:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
So i got the switch, and I think it's a very, very good system, and will spend more money on this instead of iphone games for a number of reasons. The first is that Nintendo is being really selective with who can make and release games on the switch, so they can showcase those higher quality games better on the eshop better than apple, and you aren't gonna see a ton of garbage games to sift through like on phone app stores. I still like having physical controls and having them attached to the console (tablet) means almost every game will implement it, vs using an ios gamepad, which either isn't attached, or very clunky and most games will probably not use it.

Games on the switch will always work on the switch, where on the iphone phone updates can and will break the game and if the developer doesn't support the game anymore for whatever reason (going out of business) then you are out of luck playing it again. I don't think the switch is a direct competitor to mobile devices though, because I take my iphone everywhere I go, and it will still always have the biggest selection of games because of the huge market potential. And because of the huge market potential, they are cheaper too, because they can make more money of the bigger userbase, and to increase visiblity. I would never expect to see a game like Oxenfree cost 4 dollars on the switch. But at the same time I do respect fair prices for games, and I would never be one of those people who thinks anything more than 99 cents to 5 dollars is way too much for a "mobile" game, especially if it offers dozens and dozens of replay value like Binding of Isaac Rebirth.

I got bored and sick of sifting through good iphone games everyday many years ago, and part of the reason is because there's no good curation and too many awesome games coming out almost everyday for it. Oversaturation probably led to the rise of free to play clicker games you need schedule your time around to get the most out of, which I'm absolutely not a fan of. I hope someone makes a Nintendo switch only version new site that will talk about the system and upcoming games, and absolutely no articles that talk about how certain games "should" be on the system.
03-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deewin View Post
So i got the switch, and I think it's a very, very good system, and will spend more money on this instead of iphone games for a number of reasons. The first is that Nintendo is being really selective with who can make and release games on the switch, so they can showcase those higher quality games better on the eshop better than apple, and you aren't gonna see a ton of garbage games to sift through like on phone app stores. I still like having physical controls and having them attached to the console (tablet) means almost every game will implement it, vs using an ios gamepad, which either isn't attached, or very clunky and most games will probably not use it.

Games on the switch will always work on the switch, where on the iphone phone updates can and will break the game and if the developer doesn't support the game anymore for whatever reason (going out of business) then you are out of luck playing it again. I don't think the switch is a direct competitor to mobile devices though, because I take my iphone everywhere I go, and it will still always have the biggest selection of games because of the huge market potential. And because of the huge market potential, they are cheaper too, because they can make more money of the bigger userbase, and to increase visiblity. I would never expect to see a game like Oxenfree cost 4 dollars on the switch. But at the same time I do respect fair prices for games, and I would never be one of those people who thinks anything more than 99 cents to 5 dollars is way too much for a "mobile" game, especially if it offers dozens and dozens of replay value like Binding of Isaac Rebirth.

I got bored and sick of sifting through good iphone games everyday many years ago, and part of the reason is because there's no good curation and too many awesome games coming out almost everyday for it. Oversaturation probably led to the rise of free to play clicker games you need schedule your time around to get the most out of, which I'm absolutely not a fan of. I hope someone makes a Nintendo switch only version new site that will talk about the system and upcoming games, and absolutely no articles that talk about how certain games "should" be on the system.
I have joined Nintendo life forums, its perfect for pure Nintendo news, and I agree switch is amazing
03-20-2017, 04:40 PM
Oh man wounded the binding of isaac is not on Europe eshop now I gotta make another account
03-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexythimia23 View Post
I have joined Nintendo life forums, its perfect for pure Nintendo news, and I agree switch is amazing
not a fan of this stupid headline http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...intendo_switch

The reason why it's at 3 percent isn't because developers aren't interested, it's because a lot of them aren't invited to develop for the switch or waiting to see how it does first. This is a very good thing and why we aren't seeing Asphault 5 or any Gameloft title clogging up the eshop lol.
03-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deewin View Post
not a fan of this stupid headline http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...intendo_switch

The reason why it's at 3 percent isn't because developers aren't interested, it's because a lot of them aren't invited to develop for the switch or waiting to see how it does first. This is a very good thing and why we aren't seeing Asphault 5 or any Gameloft title clogging up the eshop lol.
Don't worry there are lots of click bait articles because the switch IS popular! They get alot of traffic with switch hence why all the bullshit
03-20-2017, 09:16 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,486
Just had the most insane run on BOI I mean wow. I had lasers and all kinds of speed and damage stuff then died right before end boss.
03-21-2017, 01:08 AM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 730
Yes this game is addictive! I think it's great on IOS too but I can't imagine playing this game with precise controls on the touchscreen.
03-21-2017, 07:33 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deewin View Post
Yes this game is addictive! I think it's great on IOS too but I can't imagine playing this game with precise controls on the touchscreen.
Thats whats scary though I had insane pick ups and still didnt beat the last one