iPad Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I agree with you on multiplayer. But your worried about retina when you have a 2g touch? Just sayin.. And it doesn't have any problems for me. Fully playable and enjoyable. But I would have liked in-game retina graphics but it's not there. No biggie, honestly. Plus they've already planned future updates.

2. zero144

zero144 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Just going to drop by occasionally with tips (For the new players, disregard if you just want to complain about the game...)

If you are on top of a battle (must b with humans), you can just leave one human alive and wait for the killed enemies to crystallize (But make sure none of your guys do! Otherwise they're gone forever). After they crystallize, you can "Acquire skills" by stepping on them. This is very useful and saves grinding for spells.

PS: Not all enemies turn into crystals, some leave chests- Which give you an item they had- So either way this is good.

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    thanks! i desperately need tips since the first time i played this on the PSX i got my butt whooped about 2 hours into the game and gave up lol

4. HyuJun84

HyuJun84 Member

Jul 22, 2011
    apparently the slowdown and other issues are on a person by person basis, as others have posted it doesn't seem to exist for everyone.

I have ipod touch 4th gen and i am currently on chapter 2 and have not seen slowdown at all. So i dont think this can be posted as a major issue considering that there are probably ways to prevent it considering some of us don't see the slowdown at all.

some things to try that may help (i'll be referencing my ipod since it runs perfect so far):

1) close out multi apps
    2) have decent amount of space left on ipod (i have 2gb free yet)
    3) disable option ingame that you dont need or could live without (i just have scroll & battle prompts off)
    4) when running off battery make sure screen brightness is low, viewable but low

this is currently how my ipod is setup and I have yet to see slowdown

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #285 SkyMuffin, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    A few more tips:

Always try to attack enemies from the side or the back-- it reduces their chances of blocking or dodging you.

If you're having trouble early game, turn five of your people into Knights and suit them up at Eagros Castle. :)

Edit: one more -- try to get JP Boost (the squire ability) as soon as you can. It speeds up job leveling by tons.

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Because my son has an iPhone, and I got it for him.

7. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    This is the first time I gave SE $16 and I must say it was well worth it.
    What an incredible game on the iOs platform for the money. I skipped the
    original so this is hardly a cheap cash in to me. The experience is amazing.

I think people debating such incredible development effort is ludicrous.
    There's few games on the app store that deliver such rich experiences like
    SE does. I have an iP4 and this game is butter smooth.

I have to say thanks to SE for the port.
    For those on the fence, spend the cash, it's worth it.

8. sacley

sacley Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Game Impressions

I liked this game when I played it on the PSP but I think this port is bad. I dont mind the graphics that much. It just feels like I'm playing it on an emulator. The controls are bad. I know you can enable touch for the menus but why do we need to use the OK button when moving the characters? The menus are too small and you cant tap outside the menu to get out of it. Instead it selects whatever is highlighted, and that is not how iphone menus work. I also dont like how they did the spin and pan map function. Is there a need to switch between them? They need to learn from other iOS games. This doesnt feel like it has been optimized for the iphone at all.

For that price they should have put more effort into it. The FF3 port was so much better :(

9. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    #289 MarkHerm, Aug 5, 2011
    Likely, but FFT is a so much better game :) FF3 is one of the worst games in the series (and I played ALL of them). So unfortunately you got to decide: great game vs good port :)

10. zero144

Mar 10, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    I agree with this. FFT is not a fantastic port, Its not an bad one but there are some issues. But the game itself is the reason it was ported and I don't find that the port interferes with the gameplay to ruin this game.

11. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    yep. Would I like a little more polish? Sure! Is it playable as it is? Absolutely! Is it a great challenging game with tons of hrs of gameplay? Heck yes!!

12. sacley

sacley Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    The game itself is good and of course its playable, but in my opinion it actually plays better on both the PSP and PSX emulators. So if I want to play this I'll go back to the PSP, and probably will not use this app until they fix up the controls. I just feel that they didn't put much thought into making this version and making controls that work well for the iphone... Quite disappointed:(

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Awesome thanks! I'm doing better already. And I think grinding is a must here I've noticed. There's no way you could probably just go straight into every story battle and survive O_O

Now I regret spending all my squire points. I think I was busy buying defend, counter tackle & stone lol. oh i feel so noob!

Btw, does every successful action of your character earn JP equally for his/her jobs? I keep feeling like I'm earning JP too slowly..

14. naru44

naru44 New Member

Aug 5, 2011
    #294 naru44, Aug 5, 2011
    Can someone help me i have played the advance version but I really dont get the job leveling system. I am a level 2 squire but I cant change in to a knight. And my chemist leveled up and i looked at the roster and the roster says he is level up and when i push the button whith the job list it says he is a squire lv 2 i just dont get it. The weirdest thing is i know where the jobs are is just cant select them to change can someone pls help.

Never mind i found out how.

I'm really disapointed about this game, I was very hyped. But the controls are really bad and there is no multyplayer still im gonna finish this bad boy up, like KFC.

15. zero144

Mar 10, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Job Chart: Very HELPFUL.
    http://i53.tinypic.com/14bpbwk.jpg

Also If you're grinding, Go to the tavern in a city, they can give you side quests for money if I remember correctly

16. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Then you didn't understand the comment. This is NOT about taste, this is about effort and production. I'm not talking which is the better game in the abstract, which one you'd rather curl up in bed with, I'm talking which is the better produced game for iOS in 2011, and if you think the FFT:WotL port is a better produced game for the platform than Angry Birds then I have a whole of lot cheap real estate and a few bridges I'd like to unload for a bargain price today.

The iOS FFT:WotL port can be the best turn based SRPG I will ever play in my entire life, heck, the best game I will ever play in my entire life, I could go to my grave fondly remembering it, and it will still be a port with a lot of substandard production values because that's not as subjective or as personal as you want to think.

17. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Gentleman Adventurer.
    Lancaster, UK
    But why should you have to? Square have shown with the three Final Fantasy games that they're more than capable of improving a game during the porting process. So why only with some games? I didn't buy Secret of Mana because of the substandard port (I've still got my SNES copy of it, so why wouldn't I just play that instead?) and, sadly for me, I'm now unsure about this.

If the port had been great I'd have bought it instantly. Now I'll probably wait and see if anything changes in updates (or I get to play it, and decide, for myself on someone else's 'phone, which is extremely unlikely).

Great game or good port only seems to exist in the minds of Square. A good port should be the absolute minimum when you're asking people to pay (a fair amount of) money.

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I won't be able to download the game for another day (on holiday) but if this video is representative of how is the text in the game (I assume it's a direct feed from an iPhone 4), it didn't seem blurry at all and personally I can perfectly read it (watched the HQ video on my iPhone).
    I mean the speech bubbles before the first battle.
    I played and finished games with much blurrier text, and probably worst game to boot. (Never played FFT before).
    So, to everyone stating the game is unreadable as it is now (which is fine, everyone is different)...is that video representative? (I would guess the game is even more clear played directly).
    If yes, I would buy it as soon as I step into home.
    I have bigger problems like the 'always waliking on march' characters or the fact they seem all dwarves.

Thanks!!!

19. Yeater42

Yeater42 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I'm Saying that if there not going to have retina they had no reason to not fully support it for all devises.

20. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Wait so how do you change your job?